All Forums > General Discussion > Non-Sports > 2016 Presidential Race
6/25/2014 12:56 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 6/24/2014 11:30:00 PM (view original):
I'm intrigued by Ted Cruz. He spews red meat for the conservatives. Should be able to raise boatloads of cash. Highly educated and has won awards for his debate skills. During a Republican debate, if he gets center stage where opponents will have to criticize him, where will they attack? He was the ringleader in shutting down the government, but great majority in a Republican primary may agree with his stance there. Any other criticism would be from a moderate stance, which also won't work.

Democrats will do backflips if Ted Cruz is the Republican nominee. Doesn't appear he has much, or any moderate appeal.
I am a fan of Ted Cruz, however, many conservatives such as myself are under no illusions about his electability (is that a word?). For Republicans to take the WH back, we can't toy with the idea of Cruz as president. We'd be crushed in every moderate and liberal state.

I actually think Cruz is one of the best options for president, but I'm probably not voting for him because I see it as a trap. We need to get someone into office who will help bridge the ever growing chasm between the two parties and someone who has a conservative tilt but can still appeal to voters everywhere. 
6/25/2014 1:15 PM
Who fits that description in your opinion? I read where Cruz talked about when Republicans nominate conservatives for President they win and when they select moderates they lose. I get what he's saying but guys like Santorum instead of Romney or Huckabee instead of McCain would have been crushed by Obama as bad or perhaps worse.
6/25/2014 9:18 PM
Therein lies the problem. Personally, I am not convinced we have that candidate anywhere.

The conservative base cannot and will not carry an election. When we nominate an über-conservative candidate like Cruz, we please the base but we lose swing voters.

If I am being honest, I don't know enough about many of the candidates yet to give a qualified answer. I can speculate, but I'm not sure I'd be informed enough. I'll do some research over the next couple of days and present "my candidate."

As for now, I will say that Chris Christie was the guy I and many others saw as the guy for awhile. I thought it was his race to lose, now I am not so sure. I like Paul Ryan but I can't see him pulling enough votes. I like Ben Carson as well, but the fact that he has never served in politics makes me extremely nervous.
6/25/2014 9:48 PM
Like Obama.
6/26/2014 5:33 AM
Herman Cain

lmao
6/26/2014 10:03 AM
Cresty... racist to the core.
6/26/2014 2:51 PM
a Ted Cruz/ Allan West ticket.............PLEASE

LMAO!
of 4
All Forums > General Discussion > Non-Sports > 2016 Presidential Race

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.