Minimum Wage Topic

Does it?  Is there freedom of religion for all?  Does it apply to all religions?

You are creating a straw man.

Please point to the case in question.
7/21/2014 7:55 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/21/2014 7:53:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/21/2014 7:22:00 PM (view original):
Question:

Person applies for a job but says they aren't willing to do all that is required by the job due to their religion.

Doesn't get hired.

Sues.

Crazy Person or Reasonable religious person that needs protection?
If they are unable or unwilling to do the posted requirements of the job, no matter what the reason (religion or otherwise), then they should have no expectation of being hired for the job.

Maybe not a crazy person, but certainly not a reasonable person.
Sounds like a case for a liberal lawyer to sue Big Company to help out a freeloader.
7/21/2014 7:58 PM
This is a straw man argument.  Like Whatifsports.  What if Babe Ruth played with Ty Cobb?

This situation doesn't exist.  

7/21/2014 8:00 PM
7/21/2014 8:07 PM
Question:

Person applies for a job but says they aren't willing to do all that is required by the job due to their religion.

Doesn't get hired.

Sues.

Person applies for a job but says they aren't willing to not smoke in a non smoking area because their religion requires them to smoke.

Doesn't get hired.

Sues because he's a Sioux.

Crazy person or Reasonable religious person that needs protection to smoke his cigs in the gas plant?

STRAW MAN ARGUMENT.
7/21/2014 8:08 PM
Posted by DougOut on 7/21/2014 8:00:00 PM (view original):
This is a straw man argument.  Like Whatifsports.  What if Babe Ruth played with Ty Cobb?

This situation doesn't exist.  

A) this exists
B) not sure you understand the straw man fallacy
7/21/2014 8:16 PM
Straw man.

Cobb played in the era of Ruth so they played together.

We know they didn't play on the same team.

The people that want to make their thoughts valid and acceptable to the masses must push and fight to the enth degree. 

Therefore a simple statement of Ruth and Cobb not playing together becomes a lie under the straw man argument.
7/21/2014 8:27 PM
Please look up the straw man fallacy.
7/21/2014 8:32 PM
No!

You explain it to us and then I'll tear it down.
7/21/2014 8:34 PM
Explain straw man?
7/21/2014 8:44 PM
I thought you understood the straw man fallacy.

I thought you wanted me to look it up.

Now you want me to explain it to you?

In a word.

LIE!
7/21/2014 8:50 PM
I was asking you if you wanted me to explain it.

A straw man is when person A misrepresents person B's argument and then person A argues against the made up argument.

Like if I was arguing with mike that Trout should get the MVP over Cabrera. If he says something like Cabrera was better, he should get the MVP and then I somehow twist that to make it seem like he said Trout sucked and then prove that Trout did not suck, that would be me arguing against a straw man.

"Trout sucked" is a straw man--no one argued it and it's an easy argument to defeat.

Get it?
7/22/2014 12:01 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/21/2014 7:53:00 PM (view original):
Question:

Doesn't get hired.

Sues.

If they are unable or unwilling to do the posted requirements of the job, no matter what the reason (religion or otherwise), then they should have no expectation of being hired for the job.

Maybe not a crazy person, but certainly not a reasonable person.
We'll that's certainly reasonable of you.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5606912
7/22/2014 12:05 AM
Why would anyone think it's reasonable to say "I want that job but I'm not going to do specific parts of that job"?

Strippers strip, construction workers build stuff, truckers drive, fast food employees serve fast food, etc, etc.    But, beyond those specific duties, they have side duties.  Strippers chat up customers, construction workers clean up their work area, drivers do log books, fast food employees wear paper hats.   If they don't want to handle the additional duties, they aren't qualified for the job.    And shouldn't be hired regardless of why they won't do the "extra" stuff.

But, undoubtedly, some **** will sue somebody because they weren't hired.
7/22/2014 8:51 AM
I think BL only posted this in hopes that a **** storm would break out.  He hasn't had a good internet argument in over a week.
7/22/2014 9:41 AM
◂ Prev 1...119|120|121|122|123...127 Next ▸
Minimum Wage Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.