All Forums > Hoops Dynasty Basketball > Hoops Dynasty > Another recruiting thread! (more specific question
5/13/2014 7:53 PM
Just curious coming from a LC (Learning coach), When your building that #1 seed team what do those "top flight" recruits look like, specifically at the D2 level. I've got a few recruits i've eyed out that I feel can reach that mark but what does a 700 rated Jr. look like when he's an incoming freshman? Or even in my conference last season their is a 717 rated SO. How do you appropriatly identify a stud like that? I've had recruiting success before at D3 but I've never landed that top of the division type player that just outplays everyone in the league.
5/13/2014 8:29 PM
Couple things to thinks about:

1. Overall rating doesn't mean much. A guard with 80+ SPD/PER/BH will score very well with 1's in REB, BLK, and DUR. I have had many AA type guys at D2 in the 600's as SR.

2. To get the truly elite guys I think you need a combo of:

Pretty High WE to start
High High Potential ( PER and LP have the highest ceiling) in a couple areas
And a Red Shirt Year

3. If you land a local guy like that he is worth battling for.
5/13/2014 8:36 PM
I've been going back and forth with 2 guys at the same position that are both High potential and less than 100miles of my school, one has some lower WE but is high all overall the place, by low I mean 37, the other guy is up there with 66 WE and has a ton of High potential as well.

The issue I have is guy #2 isn't High in PER but he's still average, he's also rated above 500 for a freshman but he will never be a strong shooter
The issue with guy #1 is his WE, he may be a stud in potential but at this position he'll be my #2 on the depth chart and i'm unsure that I can wait for him to come up. Offensively tho, guy #1 can score as a freshman, he's just a liability everywhere else if he ever improves with low WE.

Guy #2 is attractive because he is rated so high and has high potential with good WE, but ultimatly he'll never have the Perimeter shooting i'm looking for. Should I take the gamble with the low WE High everywhere or the High mostly everywhere and Good WE guy?
5/13/2014 8:56 PM
37 isn't low, y o u are looking at 8ish points of growth in blue categories with 20 minutes, minimum.

I lost you on the description but in generAl, I try to recruit the player based on whAt he will look like as a Sr.

I hope that helps.
5/13/2014 9:07 PM
Sorry that guy is 32 WE, i just always read dont let it go under 30 so I try to recruit over 40 WE guys to gurantee smooth progress. I'm unsure still, We'll see, I have 2 schollies open and I know I want one of them, maybe i'll throw small money at both and see if anyone else jumps on one of them, then maybe i'll just go with the other. I think ultimately I need to remember that I will be happy with either of them on my team and picking the better one really may not make a difference at the end game
5/13/2014 9:39 PM
bagger, What is the PER & potential color on the high WE guy?
5/13/2014 11:35 PM
If the guy only has a couple categories where you can put 1,2, or 3 practice minutes then I don't think you will have much of a problem maxing him out with 32 WE. If he's got a lot of blue potentials I would really recommend trying to get the ones that are most important up early even if it means sacrificing another ratings long term growth.
5/14/2014 2:11 AM
The PER on the high WE is 33, with average potential
5/14/2014 2:16 AM
focus on the ratings that are core for the position and job you expect the guy to have - dont think about total rating but DO look at current ratings plus estimated potential in cores - so for a big I focus on ATH, DEF, LP and to lesser degree BLK.  Now, you dont usually want a guy with single digit in all of SPD, PASS, BH, but I tolerate low ratings there.  If you have strong cores, taking into account potential, you got yourself a player

second, dont expect every player to be well rounded.  Not every big needs to be a LP machine.  You can have some guys who are strong in the rest.  You can also have an LP scorer who isnt your best REB.
5/14/2014 3:32 AM
As a general rule ... attributes that are Red are 0 growth, attributes that are Black are 10 growth, and attributes that are Blue are 25 growth.

This link details the actual categories of Blue attributes ... High-Low: 20-27 growth,  and High-High: 28+ Growth ... the replies are those from scouting reports.

HIGHS

5/14/2014 8:02 AM
you cant count on black being 10, but that is a fine estimate to use in recruiting projections.  It could be 7....it could be 12....but that would rarely change your decisions.
All Forums > Hoops Dynasty Basketball > Hoops Dynasty > Another recruiting thread! (more specific question

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

Popular on WhatIfSports site: Baseball Simulation | College Basketball Game | College Football Game | Online Baseball Game | Hockey Simulation | NFL Picks | College Football Picks | Sports Games

© 1999-2014 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.