Rollie Fingers
Ben Sheets
7/18/2014 3:04 AM
Pete LaCock

Mike Hunt

Pat Macgroin

Phil Mckracken
7/18/2014 5:48 AM
From the Irish league:  Gerald Fitzpatrick and Patrick Fitzgerald.
7/18/2014 6:55 AM
Sign at Vikings game, after Warren Moon left and Brad Johnson became starting QB:

You've seen our Moon, now check out our Johnson.
7/18/2014 7:14 AM
Here is a variation of the game. It was invented by my wife who is Italian - she likes to rework the names of people she works with so that the Italian name is translated into English, such that Giuseppe Del Mare becomes "Joseph of the Sea". 

I will try this with some Italian-American baseball players' names but will put their often English or Americanized first names into Italian and the Italian last name into English. 

Michele Square 
Giuseppe of May 
Michele Naples 
Giovanni Pretty Mouth 
Biffo Few Clothes
Davide Lined
Winner of May
Of the Lord of May
Rich Little Stone
Giuseppe Tower

Can you figure out who these players are?

I don't speak Spanish, but I bet with Spanish and host of other languages you could this same thing and have fun.

7/18/2014 9:00 AM
Answers (in order) 

Mike Piazza (Piazza means "public square" in Italian, though the largest one  in Italy is round, as is the most famous one - St. Peter's Square in Rome.
Joe Dimaggio  (Magggio is the month of May and "di" means "of")
Mike Napoli (the Italian name of the city that invented pizza).
John Boccabella (Boca is mouth, bella is pretty)
Biff Pocoroba (poco is not much or few, roba is clothes, sometimes used the way we use "stuff" in English to mean things)
Dave Righetti (righe are lines)
Vincent Dimaggio
Dominque Dimaggio (Dominique means "of the lord")
Rico Petrocelli (Rico means "rich" as in wealthy in Itailan and petra is rock - "elli" is plural and is a suffix making a word diminutive (should have read "Rich Little Stones" not stone)
Joe Torre (tower in Italian
7/18/2014 6:51 PM
Willie Mays (Will He Amaze?)
7/18/2014 10:07 PM
◂ Prev 123
Can you use that in a sentence? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.