HOF makes first rule change in 30 years. Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by bad_luck on 7/30/2014 12:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/30/2014 12:35:00 PM (view original):
He followed that up with saying that I shouldn't pro-rate WAR by season, that accumulated WAR over the length of a career was more important.

By that logic, a guy who averages a WAR or 2 over a 25 year career would slightly more valuable than a guy who averages a WAR of 4.9 over an 10 year career.

Because more is better.

Pro-rate Jeter's WAR on a per year basis.

Then compare that to Beltre's.

And Chase Utley's.
WAR, ************!!!!!

Yeah, you know what a big proponent I am of that.

7/30/2014 1:16 PM
Hall of FAME

I swear we've covered this.  If it was the Hall of Stats, there would never be any discussion.   You'd whip out the stat sheet and check the Y/N box.
7/30/2014 1:17 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/30/2014 1:09:00 PM (view original):
Of course, you outright ignored the fact that I talked about each of their hitting relative to the rest of the league in the original post.  I guess it wasn't convenient to your bullshit response, necessitated by the fact that you can't in any legitimate way try to argue that Robinson was as good or better than Beltre with the bat.
I never said that Robinson was as good or better than Beltre with the bat.

I was just pointing out the idiocy of your counting .300+ AVG seasons between guys who played in different offensive eras.

7/30/2014 1:20 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/30/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/30/2014 1:16:00 PM (view original):
He followed that up with saying that I shouldn't pro-rate WAR by season, that accumulated WAR over the length of a career was more important.

By that logic, a guy who averages a WAR or 2 over a 25 year career would slightly more valuable than a guy who averages a WAR of 4.9 over an 10 year career.

Because more is better.

And Chase Utley's.
WAR, ************!!!!!

You were the one that started talking about WAR/season.
I did because it's BL's go-to stat.

Except when it doesn't back up his case.   Then, it's not all that important.

7/30/2014 1:21 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/30/2014 1:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/30/2014 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Hall of FAME

I swear we've covered this.  If it was the Hall of Stats, there would never be any discussion.   You'd whip out the stat sheet and check the Y/N box.
So because Jeter happened to play in New York, he's a Hall of Famer and Beltre is not?  That's a horrible selection criterion...
No.  Jeter was a very good player and people know who he is.     

Beltre is very good player who happened to be have a very non-descript 2/3 career.   He could walk down the street in a lioncloth and people would say "Look at that idiot in a loincloth."
7/30/2014 1:43 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/30/2014 1:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/30/2014 1:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/30/2014 1:16:00 PM (view original):

Because more is better.

And Chase Utley's.
WAR, ************!!!!!

You were the one that started talking about WAR/season.
I did because it's BL's go-to stat.

Except when it doesn't back up his case.   Then, it's not all that important.

Uh, I'm not the one constantly moving the goal posts. I tend to use the same group of stats every time I look at a player. Triple slash rates, OPS+, WAR, and HR/HIT/net SB totals. Sometimes, depending on the years and position the player played defensive stats.

It's retarded for you to argue player A based on an incorrect application of WAR and then, when it's pointed out that you're using it wrong, turn around and say, "well, I don't like WAR anyway so that doesn't matter." You argue like a child.
7/30/2014 2:11 PM
Perhaps.  But i think pretty much everyone knew about Junior, A-Rod, Ichiro and now King Felix.   So, perhaps, part of it is he was just cranking out non-descript numbers. 
7/30/2014 2:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...15 Next ▸
HOF makes first rule change in 30 years. Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.