Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Of course it's not. It's like saying "crime is a black thing."

ugh
I'm not saying this as a joke...I definitely get a racist vibe from tec.
11/26/2014 2:24 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Are you saying black people are more likely to riot?
Yes.  Don't you agree?
Why is that?

I would guess some percentage of them feel some sort of moral outrage about something, and feel (wrongly) that violence and destruction is an appropriate outlet.

I would also guess that a much larger percentage of them, however, are rioting because it's a free opportunity to break stuff, burn stuff, and steal stuff.  Because it's fun to break and burn, and who wouldn't want free stuff?

Why does this just pertain to black people?

I don't know if blacks are more likely to riot than whites are. They may be more likely to protest something, since they generally live life at a disadvantage and continue to fight for civil rights and against racism. If that leads to riots, then there's your reason. When I think of black riots, I think of a situation such as this. When I think of white riots, I think a team just won a World Series or lost a Stanley Cup.
11/26/2014 2:30 PM
The black community of Ferguson is protesting the injustice by the FPD they've felt for some time now. This death is a tipping point.  I'll say this again - what's sad about the riots is that the overall message the protests are trying to convey is now getting lost because some idiots feel like destroying their own city.

Does this apply to whites in LA in 1994?
11/26/2014 2:32 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 2:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 2:10:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 2:05:00 PM (view original):
Are you saying black people are more likely to riot?
Yes.  Don't you agree?
Why is that?

I would guess some percentage of them feel some sort of moral outrage about something, and feel (wrongly) that violence and destruction is an appropriate outlet.

I would also guess that a much larger percentage of them, however, are rioting because it's a free opportunity to break stuff, burn stuff, and steal stuff.  Because it's fun to break and burn, and who wouldn't want free stuff?

Why does this just pertain to black people?

I don't know if blacks are more likely to riot than whites are. They may be more likely to protest something, since they generally live life at a disadvantage and continue to fight for civil rights and against racism. If that leads to riots, then there's your reason. When I think of black riots, I think of a situation such as this. When I think of white riots, I think a team just won a World Series or lost a Stanley Cup.
^^^

Blacks are more likely to face injustice. Leads to more protests, which can lead to riots. So if that's also your argument, ok.
11/26/2014 2:49 PM
I think that's the #1 trigger for riots in the US.  Riots after winning/losing sporting events (which happens world wide on a much larger scale than in the US) seems to be #2.
11/26/2014 2:56 PM
Riots are NOT protests.  They're a bunch of criminals taking advantage of the mob mentality in order to commit their criminal activity under the guise of "protesting".  Turning over police cars and breaking the windows of local businesses is NOT protesting. 
11/26/2014 2:59 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 2:33:00 PM (view original):
The black community of Ferguson is protesting the injustice by the FPD they've felt for some time now. This death is a tipping point.  I'll say this again - what's sad about the riots is that the overall message the protests are trying to convey is now getting lost because some idiots feel like destroying their own city.

Does this apply to whites in LA in 1994?
What's the message?   And how does it pertain to Michael Brown?
11/26/2014 3:02 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 11/26/2014 2:59:00 PM (view original):
Riots are NOT protests.  They're a bunch of criminals taking advantage of the mob mentality in order to commit their criminal activity under the guise of "protesting".  Turning over police cars and breaking the windows of local businesses is NOT protesting. 
I agree somewhat. Sometimes riots are a result of the rising tensions between protesters and police. Not just criminals taking advantage of an opportunity.

Looting, on the other hand, is never a protest. Just a crime.
11/26/2014 3:03 PM
I think you're correct most of the time. The only "sense" I can get out of Ferguson riots is to cause destruction in the city the PD is supposed to protect, so that they have to clean it up. Even then...stupid.
11/26/2014 3:03 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 11/26/2014 3:03:00 PM (view original):
I agree somewhat. Sometimes riots are a result of the rising tensions between protesters and police. Not just criminals taking advantage of an opportunity.

What we're seeing recently isn't cops vs protesters getting violent, as much as it's "cause damage."
11/26/2014 3:04 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 11/26/2014 3:03:00 PM (view original):

What we're seeing recently isn't cops vs protesters getting violent, as much as it's "cause damage."
Yeah, I wasn't specially referring to this riot.
11/26/2014 3:08 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 3:03:00 PM (view original):
I think you're correct most of the time. The only "sense" I can get out of Ferguson riots is to cause destruction in the city the PD is supposed to protect, so that they have to clean it up. Even then...stupid.
The PD won't be cleaning it up.  
11/26/2014 3:15 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Natalie's Cakes and More has received more than 100k in donations since her shop was damaged in the riots.    My guess is the FPD didn't donate that money.
11/26/2014 3:18 PM
◂ Prev 1...61|62|63|64|65...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.