Which Drafting Option Would You Prefer? Topic

To those of you that I sent a sitemail to, I'd like your opinion...

I'm getting ready to fire up a new tournament - one that strictly involves "drafting."  I've always wanted to do this but just never put it all together until now.  It will be a four-round tournament, set up as such:

Round 1:  Twelve 16-team leagues
Round 2:  Six 16-team leagues
Round 3:  Three 16-team leagues
Round 4:  One 24-team league

I've already got all of the other specifics figured out and I'm pretty much ready to post this in the classifieds.  All of the drafts in this tournament will be done in the WIS Live Player Draft Utility.  Only one thing is bothering me - how to run the drafts (especially in Round 1 with twelve leagues).  I know some folks are available most of the day and some are only available parts of each day - some are available more during the week and some are more available on the weekends.

What I'm posting here are three options that I've come up with.  If you would please, let me know which of the three you would find most accommodating.  Also, if you can think of any better way of doing it, let me know that as well.

I'm wanting to go with "majority rules" on this matter.  That way, the majority would be capable of joining and not have to worry "too much" about being able to keep up.

Thanks for your vote and any feedback!

Votes: 49
(Last vote received: 9/3/2014 3:07 PM)
8/30/2014 2:01 AM (edited)

Option 1:

Four Days (six picks a day (seven on the last day)): 

5-Minute intervals between picks (10:00 AM – 06:00 PM or some other 8-hour period)
24th pick gets you two selections

Whoever picks first would have the following time-slots each day:
10:00 AM
12:35 AM
12:40 PM
03:15 PM
03:20 PM
05:55 PM

Whoever picks sixteenth would have the following time-slots each day:
11:15 AM
11:20 AM
01:55 PM
02:00 PM
04:35 PM
04:40 PM

Doing all twelve drafts back-to-back-to-back, etc. would involve 48 days of drafting.

Option 2:

Eight Days (three picks a day (four on the last day)):

10-Minute intervals between picks (10:00 AM – 06:00 PM or some other 8-hour period)

Whoever picks first would have the following time-slots each day:

Days 1, 3, 5 and 7
10:00 AM
03:10 PM
03:20 PM

Days 2, 4, 6 and 8
12:30 PM
12:40 PM
05:50 PM

Whoever picks sixteenth would have the exact opposite of the days above. Their draft on Days 1, 3, 5 and 7 would be the 12:30, 12:40 and 05:50 time-slots and they’d have the 10:00, 03:10 and 03:20 time-slots on the other days.

Doing all twelve drafts back-to-back-to-back, etc. would involve 96 days of drafting. If we started a new draft when the previous draft is half-way done, we’d finish in (if I calculated correctly) 68 days.

Option 3:

25 Days (one pick a day):

45-Minute intervals between picks (10:00 AM – 10:00 PM or some other 12-hour period)

Not doing drafts back-to-back…just starting them whenever they’re full with 16 owners. It’s possible that several drafts would be taking place at the same time.

8/30/2014 1:41 AM
We're not going to vote here, because right now there's just not any way we can do a draft with mandated times for any length of time, especially with no ability to proxy. Just too much going on.
8/30/2014 11:54 AM
I voted for option 2 reluctantly, primarily because option 3 seemed likely to drag the first round drafting over too long a period. Most days I would miss one or more of my times and have my picks back up. My during-the-day work schedule is both too demanding and unpredictable to fit well with anything other than once a day drafting. Even then, I would probably be making up my pick in the evening most days.

My understanding of the draft utility is that it does not allow proxies. Assuming that's true, in a tourney with this much drafting, I think that's a real problem.
8/30/2014 12:58 PM

You can actually have proxies - however, the only way to do it is to give someone else full access to your WIS Kingdom.  In other words, give someone your password...

8/30/2014 1:12 PM
Option 2 
If we have set up time i have no problem to make the pick i just need to know  the time ahead
8/30/2014 5:48 PM
Regarding Option 3:

Why not 15-minute increments . . . everyone would get 2 picks a day cutting the draft time in half.
If my memory is right (never know), once the draft is set up, your 2 times a day remains the same drafting 1 - 24 and 24 - 1.
8/31/2014 1:17 AM (edited)

Good suggestion Tom and I had thought about that - but then I figured if there were several (okay, maybe even a LOT) drafts going on at the same time, it would be more of a pain to have to keep up with each one two times a day instead of just once.

Anyway, that was my thinking on that...

8/31/2014 11:09 AM

Out of 43 votes, 21 (nearly half) have voted for Option Three with 17 voting for Option Two and only 5 voting for Option 1.  I'll wait until tomorrow (Monday) evening to determine the final results.

8/31/2014 3:29 PM
As a guy who runs an annual draft utility league, don't use the "faster draft" option.  Use the enforced time limits options.  It'll really screw things up otherwise.  And make sure people know that the draft utility does not auto-draft your queued up picks.  Biggest problem with these leagues is that people have never used the draft utility before and will inundate you with questions.  Good luck with this juice...and count me in.  Also, let me know if you need any help.
9/1/2014 1:30 AM

Can you explain how it would screw things up?  I've never used it before but just reading the definition, it seems like it would be a good thing that if the draft is caught up-to-date and the next guy on the clock is ready to make his pick, why should he have to wait another 40+ minutes?  Again, I've never used it before so there may be more to it than I know...

9/1/2014 12:37 PM
Pat . . . I think what Mike is saying is that the "faster draft" is simply too fast . . . . I think it never worked well 10 years ago and I doubt it would now . . . . primarily because many will not get to it in time . . . . get frustrated over losing a pick . . . . that kind of thing.  Personally, I wouldn't play in that draft.  For the most part,  you can't leave your computer longer than it takes to pee . . .

Overall, I think the Draft Utility is a good thing . . . You get your times and be there on time, if you can, to draft . . . you can always go back if you get caught in the middle of work, etc.

The Draft Utility will work fine . . . . Take your time setting it up (don't screw it up like me and occasionally like Darrin) . . .I agree with Mike and just don't recommend the "fast draft" option as well. . . . .  
9/1/2014 10:20 PM
It's a good thing to know what time your timeslot is every day.  For example, if it's 2PM everyday, it's 2 PM everyday regardless.  However, with the faster draft, it can change based upon how fast the previous owners pick.  And the owner with the 2 PM pick may log on at 2 PM only to find out that he missed his pick hours ago.  You'll get a ton of complaints and have to re-do the whole draft (been there done that).
9/1/2014 11:28 PM
Here is some clarification on my previous post.  If your slot is from 2-3PM but in the faster draft the previous owner makes his pick at 10 AM... you're on the clock for one hour from 10-11AM.  From 11-12, it's the next owners' pick and so on and so forth, so it really screws everybody up.
9/1/2014 11:37 PM

Okay, well that clears it up for me then.  Using the analogy above, I thought the owner with the 2:00 PM pick was still on the clock from 2:00 to 3:00 PM - regardless if the draft is caught up and the guy in front of him made his pick at 10:00 AM in the morning.  That's not how it works?

9/1/2014 11:49 PM
12 Next ▸
Which Drafting Option Would You Prefer? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.