Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

South Carolina got beat up at home. There's no reason they should be considered if they end up with 2 losses.

Oklahoma has an important game this week. Alabama only beat WV by 10, so it'll be good for them to try and pack on points to have a good margin of victory.
9/16/2014 2:41 PM
It's called "First game of the season with a lot of freshman/redshirt freshman on the field".     

As I understand it, the committee is charged with getting the 4 best teams, at the end of the season, on the field.    Week 1 powerhouse might be **** by week 14. 

Basically, you're saying "Got beat at home in week 1.  I don't care what they do the rest of the season."     That seems awful shortsighted.  This isn't the NFL system.    Best record doesn't give you a spot. 
9/16/2014 2:50 PM
To put it another way, SC could have 3 quality wins(Auburn, GA, Clemson.  I'm not counting FL/TN or any of the other slugs).   Other than SEC West teams(and GA who lost to SC), you'll be hardpressed to find 3 quality wins from another program.   Notre Dame, maybe, and I'm not convinced they're going to win.    
9/16/2014 2:53 PM
It's called a loss at home. Giving it a bunch of qualifiers doesn't mean they didn't get blown out at home.

People on the committee give different reasoning on how teams will be selected. "Best" is relative. We have different criteria to determine "best". I'm sure the people on the committee will have different criteria as well. To me, any loss at home is an enormous black mark.

If SC doesn't lose again, put them in, but if they lose another one, no chance.
9/16/2014 3:11 PM
FWIW, I have no problem starting with the 5 power conference winners.   Then I'd figure out who was the odd man out and who is #4.

Then I'd ask myself "Who is better than #4?"    I'd start with conference runner-ups and 2nd place from the same division.    Then, if I found someone better than #4, I'd ask if they were better than #3.   And so on. 

I'd also concentrate more on wins than losses.  A bad week early shouldn't eliminate anyone if they can get some quality wins later.    The problem with the B10(and it's starting to look the same for PAC12) is they have no way to get quality wins.   They just aren't on their schedule.   

I'd have no problem putting 2 loss SC or GA(whichever might lose the SEC Champ game), if they played a tight game to SEC West champ, in over a two loss champ from any of the other conferences.   Simply because I don't see where quality wins will come from(with the possible exception of PAC12 if they right their ship).
9/16/2014 3:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/16/2014 2:41:00 PM (view original):

Obviously we disagree with what the committee has been tasked with doing.    IOW, you say "4 best conference champs from 5 power conferences."  I say "If that's how they're doing it, why have a committee?"

Not at all I would be fine with a 1 loss team in that didn't win their conference under the right circumstances.  Say LSU has 1 loss to Alabama.  Alabama is unbeaten and wins the SEC.  LSU wins out fairly convincingly.  FSU is unbeaten as well.  Oregon or Oklahoma has 1 loss.  No other conference champion has 1 loss, I would have LSU in as the 4th seed (good win at neutral field against Wiscy, wins at Florida, Auburn, and A&M and a home win against Miss).  Solid quality schedule.
9/16/2014 5:24 PM
As for your nonsense about South Carolina, wouldn't that also apply to Ohio State.  Now granted Ohio State lost week 2, but Ohio State has 4 new offensive lineman, a redshirt freshman QB who was supposed to be the backup and a ton of new faces on the defense.  I mean if South Carolina gets a pass, why wouldn't Ohio State also get a pass (assuming they win out).  I mean you can't have it both ways.  And I get that the Big Ten is weak, but if Ohio State wins at Michigan St. (who doesn't lose again), wins at Penn St. (who has yet to lose), and then beats a 1 loss Nebraska or Wisconsin, you would be hard pressed to keep them out in favor of a 2 loss non-conference champion.  Just isn't going to happen and it won't happen for all the reasons you want to give South Carolina a pass for.

South Carolina will not be in the playoff unless they win the SEC and do so with 2 or less losses.  
9/16/2014 5:28 PM
So work with me here.  I'll focus on SC/GA since they're most likely to rep the SEC East.     Assuming a last second FG loss in the SEC Championship to an undefeated Bama team that routed LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss and Auburn, is there any scenario where two loss SC/GA can get in?   They also routed all opponents from this day forward.
9/16/2014 5:29 PM
Sure, it would apply to all teams with a bunch of new starters on either side of the ball.   Difference between an SEC team and a B10 team is that the B10 team can't get any quality wins in conference.    Unless you think MSU(beaten soundly by Oregon) or any of the others that have struggled against MAC teams are on par with GA, Clemson, Auburn and SEC West champ.
9/16/2014 5:34 PM
And, for the record, I've already said I think GA reps the East.    I think they're the better team and I think SC loses some BS game to TN or KY or Vandy or somebody they should beat.   They always do.
9/16/2014 5:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/16/2014 5:29:00 PM (view original):
So work with me here.  I'll focus on SC/GA since they're most likely to rep the SEC East.     Assuming a last second FG loss in the SEC Championship to an undefeated Bama team that routed LSU, TAMU, Ole Miss and Auburn, is there any scenario where two loss SC/GA can get in?   They also routed all opponents from this day forward.
Sure if there are 3 or less, 2 loss or less teams.
9/17/2014 9:40 AM
So, essentially, you're saying any 1 loss team should be in over a 2 loss team, right?
9/17/2014 9:45 AM
I'll get to the point.   I'm not interested in "Boise State was undefeated.  Georgia lost to SC, who lost to TAMU at home, and to Bama in a close one in the SEC championship.   Boise State is in despite playing nobody and obviously being far less talented than GA."

I'd almost rather Vegas make odds on neutral fields to determine the top 4 than have some dipshits saying "Two losses + non-conference champ = out."
9/17/2014 10:05 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/17/2014 9:45:00 AM (view original):
So, essentially, you're saying any 1 loss team should be in over a 2 loss team, right?
nope
9/17/2014 1:00 PM
I think you are.  You don't want to say it directly because there could be a bunch of ****** one loss teams that played no one and a group of two loss teams in the SEC who beat up on one another.   But it's what you're saying.
9/17/2014 1:45 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.