Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Always putting words in people's mouths.
9/17/2014 1:56 PM
Read his posts in this and the "Bye-bye OSU" thread.

He doesn't want to say it because it could come back to bite him in the *** but I'm sure it's what he believes. 
9/17/2014 2:03 PM
nope
9/17/2014 2:11 PM
Most intelligent comment you've made in weeks. 
9/17/2014 2:17 PM
I think the only way a 2 loss non conference champ gets in is if it's an SEC team (and even then I think the chance is very slim).  When was the last time a non conference champ with 2 losses was ranked in the top 4 before the bowls?
9/17/2014 8:14 PM
Good point. 2007 is the answer.
9/17/2014 8:28 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 9/17/2014 8:28:00 PM (view original):
Good point. 2007 is the answer.
Georgia finished #2 in the polls, but they were #5 before the bowls.  Also, that was a very strange year for college football.........
9/17/2014 8:35 PM

It's a new era.    As I understand it, the committee is charged with ranking the 4 best teams.    As we said in the OSU thread, ND was not one of the 4 best teams in 2012.   Bama rolling them more than proved that to be true.    So I don't think the committee members should be focusing on losses.    I'd look at quality wins.   And a two loss team could easily be one of the 4 best teams. 

9/17/2014 8:51 PM
"The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents, championships won and other factors."
You keep talking about the four best teams, but that is not what the criteria are, so you might as well stop it with that nonsense. And I posted that before, so I know you know that is the criteria.

Notre Dame was the #1 ranked team entering the bowls.  They would have been the #1 seed that year and any year under a 4 team playoff, and certainly under the criteria expounded above.
9/17/2014 9:02 PM (edited)
Mike now, "They shouldn't focus on losses"

Mike a few years ago, "Oklahoma St lost to Iowa St, they don't deserve to be in the title game, case closed."
9/17/2014 9:03 PM
Looking at quality wins is fine, but I think a loss should have just as much weight as a win (obviously a close loss to an undefeated team on the road shouldn't penalize a team as much as getting blown out at home).
9/17/2014 9:04 PM
As mentioned, Georgia was ranked 5th in 2007.  Now 2007 was the last year any team with 2 losses was ranked in the top 4 and there were 3 of them.

the correct answer is 2006 when LSU was ranked #4.  Florida won the SEC was ranked #2.  Ohio State was #1 with Michigan as #3.  That would have been a very interesting discussion would the committee actually gone with two Big Ten and two SEC teams.  Of course Louisville and Wisconsin were the next two, complicating it even more.
9/17/2014 9:07 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 9/17/2014 9:03:00 PM (view original):
Mike now, "They shouldn't focus on losses"

Mike a few years ago, "Oklahoma St lost to Iowa St, they don't deserve to be in the title game, case closed."
It's a different game.   4 teams instead of 2.   Committee deciding who the 4 best teams are not who has the most wins.   The polls worked much differently. 

Am I the only one who gets this?
9/17/2014 9:09 PM
Posted by moranis on 9/17/2014 9:02:00 PM (view original):
"The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-to-head results, comparison of results against common opponents, championships won and other factors."
You keep talking about the four best teams, but that is not what the criteria are, so you might as well stop it with that nonsense. And I posted that before, so I know you know that is the criteria.

Notre Dame was the #1 ranked team entering the bowls.  They would have been the #1 seed that year and any year under a 4 team playoff, and certainly under the criteria expounded above.

The Best Four Teams

The selection committee will choose the four teams for the playoff based on strength of schedule, head-head results, comparison of results against common opponents, championships won and other factors.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/story?id=null

9/17/2014 9:11 PM
Strength of schedule
Head to head results
Comparison of results against common opponents
Championships won
Other factors

Nothing in there leads me to believe that a two loss team is eliminated.
9/17/2014 9:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.