Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 9/17/2014 9:13:00 PM (view original):
Strength of schedule
Head to head results
Comparison of results against common opponents
Championships won
Other factors

Nothing in there leads me to believe that a two loss team is eliminated.
I'm not saying a 2 loss team is eliminated, I'm saying a 2 loss non conference champ is very unlikely to be in the 4 team playoff.
9/17/2014 9:17 PM
Posted by moranis on 9/17/2014 9:07:00 PM (view original):
As mentioned, Georgia was ranked 5th in 2007.  Now 2007 was the last year any team with 2 losses was ranked in the top 4 and there were 3 of them.

the correct answer is 2006 when LSU was ranked #4.  Florida won the SEC was ranked #2.  Ohio State was #1 with Michigan as #3.  That would have been a very interesting discussion would the committee actually gone with two Big Ten and two SEC teams.  Of course Louisville and Wisconsin were the next two, complicating it even more.
The discussion would have interesting considering Louisville was a conference champ, LSU finished 3rd in their division, and Boise St was undefeated.
9/17/2014 9:19 PM
There's no difference between deciding between 2nd and 3rd when two teams make it, or between 4th and 5th if four teams make it, or between 16th and 17th if sixteen teams make it.

"Best" is subjective, if it weren't we could just have one person pick the teams and everyone would agree with the decision.

No one said a two loss team is eliminated, besides you when you put words in people's mouths.
9/17/2014 9:21 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 9/17/2014 9:21:00 PM (view original):
There's no difference between deciding between 2nd and 3rd when two teams make it, or between 4th and 5th if four teams make it, or between 16th and 17th if sixteen teams make it.

"Best" is subjective, if it weren't we could just have one person pick the teams and everyone would agree with the decision.

No one said a two loss team is eliminated, besides you when you put words in people's mouths.
Exactly. And best is defined with all sorts of things that don't necessarily equate to this team beats that team so they are better. When the requirements even say championships you know that is a big factor. Any team that doesn't win it's conference is already at a disadvantage. Any team that loses its last game will be at a disadvantage. This is reality.
9/17/2014 10:19 PM

Actually, there is a difference.   In a two team playoff, #3 won't get a chance to prove you wrong.   In a four team playoff, it's #5 missing out.   Do you agree that the difference between 2 and 3 is less than 2 and 5?

9/18/2014 8:49 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 9/17/2014 9:21:00 PM (view original):

I can quote posts from you and moranis saying something along the lines of "A two loss SC team should not be in the playoff".

Do I have to?   This thread isn't that long. 
9/18/2014 8:53 AM
You don't have to quote me, a two loss non-conference champion South Carolina won't be in the playoffs without some freaky strange year in college football happening (like 2006).  That is reality.
9/18/2014 9:20 AM
Well, do I have to quote myself where I said I'm almost 99% certain that we're getting 4 conference champs from the 5 power conferences?   Because I've said it repeatedly.   And I've said that's a stupid way to determine the best 4 teams.   Which is what I've been arguing.
9/18/2014 9:29 AM
Yeah, but even that is nonsense since last year there would not have been 4 conference champions in the 4 team playoff.  1. FSU, 2. Auburn, 3. Bama, 4. MSU (or maybe Stanford).

2012 would have been the debate you are discussing.  1. ND, 2. Bama but then it gets interesting between Florida, Oregon, Kansas St., and Stanford for the last 2 spots.  Stanford beat Oregon and won the Pac 12, but had 2 losses to Oregon's 1.  Kansas St. was the 1 loss Big 12 champ.  Florida had 1 loss to Georgia (and did not play for the SEC title).  Florida was ranked 3rd in the polls and Oregon was ranked 4th, but neither even played for their conference title while KSU and Stanford were major conference champions. 

9/18/2014 10:07 AM
I disagree.   I don't think Bama would have been in.   I don't think the committee is going to have the balls to exclude 2 confernce champs from the power 5. Much like they wouldn't have excluded ND in 2012.    At least not in the beginning.   There is the chance that the Power 5 are going to break off into their own world in the not so distant future.    The best way to rush that along would be to put 3 of them in line for the championship instead of 4.    One is already going to complain that they shouldn't have been left out.   Turning that into two disgruntled conferences isn't going to help the NCAA.
9/18/2014 10:20 AM
The committee has nothing to do with the NCAA - they are just an arm of the corporation that was put together to administer the playoffs, which, much like the BCS was, basically IS the power conferences.  The NCAA still doesn't run a playoff/award a championship in the FBS.
9/18/2014 10:33 AM
Does the NCAA get any money from the playoff?

If the answer is "yes", you better believe the committee has something to do with the NCAA.   Unless you're just too naive to understand the dynamics involved.
9/18/2014 10:34 AM
Give me a break, I'm the king of "follow the money", but the NCAA itself doesn't have it's hands in the FBS cookie jar, and hasn't for a long time.  The financial harm to the NCAA of the Power 5 breaking away would come in the damage it would do to the NCAA basketball tournament.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/03/27/ncaa-approaching-billion-per-year-amid-challenges-players/6973767/

9/18/2014 10:42 AM
So, if the Power 5 broke away from the NCAA, the NCAA wouldn't lose football playoff revenue?   Is that your contention?
9/18/2014 10:48 AM
You can't lose something you never had in the first place.  The NCAA doesn't sponsor/administer an FBS championship, which means they don't have the TV rights, don't sell the tickets, etc.  In that regard, nothing has changed from the old bowl systems through the BCS to the new playoff.

As that article I presented shows, almost 85% of their revenue comes from the DI basketball tournament.
9/18/2014 10:57 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.