Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

I don't have much of a problem with how they've done things.   For the most part, they put the 0-1 loss teams where they thought they deserved to be in the first rankings.  Then they've moved them around based on results(with a lot of H2H in the SEC West).    I didn't agree with Ole Miss but they were undefeated.   As I expected, they faltered when playing other SEC West teams.    So, in retrospect, perhaps the committee was saying "They're undefeated but face a lot of competition.   If they lose, we'll drop them.  If they win, well, we were justified in putting them at #1."   It's a safe play so I get it.

Where I'll have a problem is if Bama/Oregon drop out because of a close loss(Oregon can't lose to Oregon State) to an Auburn or conference champ foe.  And I'd get putting OSU in over 11-1 Miss St /Baylor/TCU.   I don't think their schedule was as tough but they have the extra game and a conference championship.  I bet the B12 would start looking for two teams on 12/8 if that happens.  And, quite honestly, they're not the same team that lost to VaTech early in the season.  As I've said over and over and over again(even though a certain OSU fan disagreed at the time), I want to see the 4 best teams on 12/7 in the playoffs.   OSU, with two good wins to close out the season, will have an argument.
11/26/2014 2:31 PM
I don't think OSU's schedule is nearly as bad as people make it out to be.  Kent St. is terrible, but Va Tech, Cincinnati, and Navy all should be bowl teams and Cincinnati might very well win its conference (and the AAC is probably the best non-power 5 conference).  Road wins at Michigan State and Minnesota.  Neutral site against presumably Wisconsin.  Road wins at Maryland and Penn State (the next two best teams on its schedule and both of which are at least decent teams).  Sure they don't have an Alabama or Baylor on their schedule (though Michigan State isn't that far off) like Mississippi St. or TCU, but they lost those games anyway.  TCU has some solid wins in Kansas St., Oklahoma, and Minnesota (West Virginia has fallen off of late, but is still a solid win), but it isn't like the rest of the Big 12 is anything to write home about.  Baylor beat TCU, but lost to West Virginia and played absolute garbage in its non-con.  At least Baylor only has 3 ****** non-con games since the Big 12 plays 9 conference games, but Mississippi St. takes it to a new level with 4 god awful games in the non-con (they also have the 2 worst teams from the SEC East for a nice 6 pack of shitastic scheduling).  Mississippi St. should not be rewarded for playing ****** *** teams in the non-con and then not even winning its division let alone its conference. 

Earlier in this thread, you asked why a team like Michigan St. would play Oregon, it is for the Mississippi St. reason, or at least it should be.    Hopefully the committee doesn't reward teams for playing garbage non-con schedules like Mississippi St. and Baylor.  At least TCU and OSU played at least one major conference team and tried to challenge themselves a bit (Alabama, Oregon, and FSU did as well).   Frankly for all the **** FSU gets 3 of its 4 non-con games were major teams (Okie St., Florida, and Notre Dame).  Add in the conference championship and 12 of FSU's 13 games are against major conference (or ND) teams.  That iis the type of scheduling the committee should look to reward and thus encourage.
11/26/2014 3:36 PM (edited)
It's easy to go back and nitpick an observation after all the results are in.  

I'll try it another way.   If OSU had played Toledo, and won of course, instead of "challenging" themselves with VaTech, where do you think they'd be ranked?
11/26/2014 3:38 PM
In short, FSU is providing the template to the playoffs.   

1.  Be in Power 5 conference
2.  Win all your games

IMO, an undefeated P5 team will not miss the playoff regardless of their non-conference.    I don't think you disagree even if you're reluctant to say it.
11/26/2014 3:52 PM
Of course Ohio State would be in if they were unbeaten.  I told you from the beginning that any of the power 5 teams that is unbeaten is going to be in the playoff (unless there are 5 of them).  But if it comes down to one loss teams, I'd much rather give it to the team that went out and scheduled a pretty tough schedule.  I mean if FSU loses to Florida and then beats Ga Tech convincingly to win the ACC, I wouldn't have any real gripes (other than fan ones) if FSU went instead of Ohio State.  I would have issue with a Mississippi State team that scheduled like **** and didn't even win their division.  That **** would **** me off.  Now if Miss St. had scheduled a tough non-con and lost the close game to Bama, I wouldn't have quite the issue with them going instead of Ohio St. 

Scheduling **** non-con shouldn't be rewarded if you can't manage to win all your games (or your conference).

11/26/2014 5:03 PM
So OSU should have scheduled Akron instead of VaTech?     I agree. 
11/26/2014 5:27 PM

"I didn't agree with Ole Miss but they were undefeated.   As I expected, they faltered when playing other SEC West teams.    So, in retrospect, perhaps the committee was saying "They're undefeated but face a lot of competition.   If they lose, we'll drop them.  If they win, well, we were justified in putting them at #1."   It's a safe play so I get it. "

This makes a lot of sense to me. If I had a vote that is EXACTLY what I would do. Put the teams with the toughest remaining schedule near the top and the teams with only cupcakes left further down. 

11/26/2014 5:49 PM
nasty looking injury for JT Barrett.  Looks like OSU will win and Jones has played ok since coming in for Barrett, but not what you want to see with just 5 quarters left in the season.
11/29/2014 3:14 PM
well that is the exclamation for the buckeyes.  3rd straight unbeaten big ten regular season.  First time in conference history a team has gone 8-0 in three straight years.
11/29/2014 3:21 PM
That would be impressive if it wasn't such a hack conference.
11/29/2014 5:38 PM
ACC 3-0 against SEC thus far today.  The Floridas still playing in a close one.
11/29/2014 6:29 PM
horrid playcalling from Florida at the end of the game.  atrocious.  no wonder muschamp is getting fired and florida is in the crapper.
11/29/2014 7:05 PM
Ole Miss wins by 2 touchdowns eliminating Miss. St. and ensuring the SEC gets no more than 1 team into the playoff.
11/29/2014 7:21 PM
Posted by moranis on 11/29/2014 3:21:00 PM (view original):
well that is the exclamation for the buckeyes.  3rd straight unbeaten big ten regular season.  First time in conference history a team has gone 8-0 in three straight years.
Yet they'll probably still have 0 Conference Championships during that time.
11/29/2014 8:33 PM
With the injury to Barrett, I don't think OSU is in.   Baylor will likely lose to KSU if Petty can't play.    TCU at 4. 
11/30/2014 9:00 AM
◂ Prev 1...35|36|37|38|39...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.