Catcher range and throwing errors Topic

I have to believe this is a bug in the code.
9/19/2014 12:24 AM
Customer service hasn't responded for a week and a half, since they told me it was related to catcher range. I don't think they know.

It could be related to my D/D+ first baseman, but I doubt it because I've used the 1.000 fielding HoJo at short numerous times with the same first baseman (Ruth) and he goes the entire season w/o an error.

I also think it's a bug in the code related strictly to catcher throwing.

9/19/2014 11:23 AM

The bug then wouldn't seem to be that the C is making an error when he shouldn't.  It seems possible, maybe probable, that the catcher is getting credited for an error on the throw for what is essentially a minus play for the fielder receiving the throw.  Fixing such a bug wouldn't necessarily eliminate the play itself, just change how it gets recorded as a statistic and who gets "credit" for the negative outcome. 

9/19/2014 1:00 PM
That's an interesting point. A catcher throws to 1B, the guy misses the throw because his range is bad, but the catcher gets the error. If that's correct, however, the 1B should also get a minus play, be he doesn't.
9/19/2014 5:03 PM
Posted by teaparty on 9/19/2014 5:03:00 PM (view original):
That's an interesting point. A catcher throws to 1B, the guy misses the throw because his range is bad, but the catcher gets the error. If that's correct, however, the 1B should also get a minus play, be he doesn't.
If I understand the rules of how Sim Baseball stats work, +/- plays, being nonofficial stats, are simply guides to help define a play -- official stats trump the play.

That is, if an error is called on the play, the sim doesn't even check for +/-, except for the case of the obscure +- play, which is actually a + play that an error is then made on.
9/20/2014 12:38 AM
I just lost a game b/c of a bad pick off attempt. Since IRL pick offs are generally called plays from the dugout this should be something we should have a propensity rating for in the managerial settings box.. assuming of course there is an update at some point.
9/21/2014 3:25 PM
Posted by uncleal on 9/20/2014 12:38:00 AM (view original):
If I understand the rules of how Sim Baseball stats work, +/- plays, being nonofficial stats, are simply guides to help define a play -- official stats trump the play.

That is, if an error is called on the play, the sim doesn't even check for +/-, except for the case of the obscure +- play, which is actually a + play that an error is then made on.
Nope, I have seen a +play and an error.  In fact there was a thread about such an occurance.  Boog likened it to rolling snake-eyes on a pair of dice.
9/21/2014 4:06 PM
Posted by zubinsum on 9/21/2014 4:06:00 PM (view original):
Posted by uncleal on 9/20/2014 12:38:00 AM (view original):

Nope, I have seen a +play and an error.  In fact there was a thread about such an occurance.  Boog likened it to rolling snake-eyes on a pair of dice.
Fair enough. I haven't seen it, but I rarely check regular season boxscores, and I haven't been to the playoffs in some time.
9/21/2014 6:34 PM
◂ Prev 12
Catcher range and throwing errors Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.