Noob questions: Defense and Catcher Topic

I've read the MikeT RF study, and I've looked into pitch calling, and overall I'm getting the hang of defense a little bit. But I lack experience on any kind of oddly skilled players, and I just don't know what I'll get if I put them in.

So, here's the question: I've got a guy coming along at AAA who is 15 range, 17 glove with a 63/56 arm, and a 56 pitch calling. He's into his fourth year, and his makeup isn't great.

I think he can probably hit though. Eye 63, vRHP 84, power 70, contact 63.

Can anybody give me an idea of what I might roughly expect at the plate in relation to what is a spooky low glove for a catcher? 
9/16/2014 9:19 PM
I think your guy will add 2-3 more points in most offensive categories (fewer in power).  If he does that, he'll hit about .280/.350/.480.  

I would not start a catcher in RF who hits like that.  That's solid but unspectacular production in RF, and he'll cost you almost 20 runs a season with his glove.

I don't love starting him at C-- I'd rather have a solid defender with a .700 OPS-- but he's not a disaster there.  Remember that his DUR is 59, so he'll need a platoon partner.  If you can find a defensive catcher who can hit one hand of pitching or the other, this guy can platoon with him, and the other guy can be the late inning defensive replacement as well.
9/16/2014 9:33 PM
I would not dismiss him as a RF that quickly.   .830 OPS isn't something you just say "I'm gonna get me a .830 OPS to play RF" when you want.    As always, it's a plus/minus game.     He'll definitely give you 20+ minus plays/errors combined based on 162 games.    But, if your other RF option can't OPS .750ish, it's something to consider.

Also, as dedel noted, he's not a disaster at C.    He could serve as a part-time C in addition to playing some RF. 
9/17/2014 6:58 AM
Thanks guys. It's really helpful

If I'm understanding you both, it looks like his bat is quite likely worth getting him in the lineup at least some of the time. For my team, an .850 OPS would be the 2nd best on the team by a good margin. If that's anywhere near where he ends up, I'm going to start worrying less about his glove!

9/17/2014 10:29 PM
Average OPS is most worlds will be between .720-.730.   If you have a guy getting .100 more than that, it's worth figuring out how to get him some AB, IMO.
9/18/2014 8:47 AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I was told you could throw literally anyone in RF whitout it hurting you too much defensively.  In your situation it seems that even if there was a minor defensive reprecussion as far as plus plays the players bat would be more of a positive to your team than his defense.
So far, with similar defensive stats as your player, "Fergy" on my squad has only has 1 error in 411 innings in RF:

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=4991768

p.s.where can I get Mike T's right field study?
9/18/2014 5:37 PM (edited)

No, the weak-armed guy, the bad 1B-types, with 35/38 AA/AS cause a lot of damage in RF. 

9/18/2014 5:37 PM
Thanks Mike, I will take that into consideration.  I just glanced over my teams and realize that low AA/AS players are making 3-5 minus plays (no plus plays) every 200 innings. So that will make a big difference even if the players bat is halfway decent?
9/18/2014 5:44 PM
It's always a plus/minus situation.    I guy giving up 20 extra bases via errors/minus plays has to make up for it at the plate.    So I look at Mr.Minusplay vs. Other RF options.   If MMP is going to give me 30 more bases at the plate, I'll accept his crappy fielding.  
9/18/2014 7:03 PM
A basic rule of thumb is that if he is not as good a hitter as most of the guys being used in the AL as a DH, he is probably not worth being used in RF.
Here are the guys I've been using as subpar RFs:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Furio Becker

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Raul Gardel

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Nick Ball
9/24/2014 5:06 PM
Noob questions: Defense and Catcher Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.