Strange goings on during recruiting Topic

There is currently a recruit who is considering two coaches gabby123 and gabby1234. Seems a little odd doesn't it?

www.whatifsports.com/hd/RecruitProfile/Scouting.aspx

Most people might not be able to see it since he is a current recruit but this is in Naismith. East Stroudsurg U. and U of DC both D2 schools.
9/21/2014 1:59 PM
Clearly some cheating going on here.  As of now the recruit is only considering ESUP.  If I had to guess he was holding the recruit with DC to dissuade other teams from going after him, then maybe used an inform of redshirt to drop the player from DC and started going after him with ESUP.

Even if the cheating wasn't this flagrant, something tell me he didn't scout that same state with both his teams
9/21/2014 2:47 PM
The recruit is in NY which could possibly make sense to scout for both. To be honest IDK why you would want to sign him after scouting but still strange that both were on the same player.
9/21/2014 3:15 PM
This definitely not the first time this has happened in Rupp with these 2 IDs.  Happened a few seasons back when one of the IDs was at Rockhurst as well.
9/21/2014 10:13 PM
Is it any difference with oldresorter and majresorter in crum in the acc at UNC and FSU?
9/22/2014 1:10 AM
Posted by blackdog3377 on 9/21/2014 3:15:00 PM (view original):
The recruit is in NY which could possibly make sense to scout for both. To be honest IDK why you would want to sign him after scouting but still strange that both were on the same player.
If he were cheating he likely wouldn't waste money scouting the same state twice
9/22/2014 1:27 AM
Posted by willowcards2 on 9/22/2014 1:10:00 AM (view original):
Is it any difference with oldresorter and majresorter in crum in the acc at UNC and FSU?
I'd say in all likelihood it's quite the opposite, really...

Not that an elevated level of competition between OR and maj is necessarily 100% within the literal interpretation of the Fair Play Guidelines either, but I think it's generally not frowned upon by the community.  I don't think either of them would intentionally target each other's guys, but you could certainly suspect that in the event they both show up on the same guy they're more reluctant to give him up than they might be against somebody else.

9/22/2014 3:50 AM
not sure if you are aware that oldresorter is majresorter's father-- they are not the same player. 
9/22/2014 10:18 AM
Posted by bro_lunardi on 9/21/2014 2:47:00 PM (view original):
Clearly some cheating going on here.  As of now the recruit is only considering ESUP.  If I had to guess he was holding the recruit with DC to dissuade other teams from going after him, then maybe used an inform of redshirt to drop the player from DC and started going after him with ESUP.

Even if the cheating wasn't this flagrant, something tell me he didn't scout that same state with both his teams
is his prestige a lot lower with esup or something? was the guy maybe a dropdown for esup and he was waiting to pick him up? that would definitely be cheating. although not as bad as if he fights two people with those same schools. where are those schools, just curious?

9/22/2014 11:03 AM
I just assumed he's using an additional budget to pay for some scouting trips, and that was enough to get considered by the second team.
9/22/2014 11:12 AM
assuming you know they are not the same person, yeah, its definitely different. the "people who know each other" thing is a grey area, but definitely different. i know a few sets of people who know each other who picked up teams in the same conference, and ended up abusing it. not colluding together against a common enemy, but definitely colluding together to avoid competition. i think we just have to live with that, until they cross the line of ganging up on people, that's way too big of an impact.

anyway, i think we have to live with that because the flip side is too valuable. people who play get people they know into the game, its an important part of bringing coaches in. i was brought in by my cousin and we ended up in the same d2 conference (intentionally, obviously), and that definitely added to the enjoyment of the game. i think you have to allow the friends and father/sons and all that to play in the same conference, or within 1000 miles, because its not worth stamping out a major source of enjoyment and revenue to slightly curb cheating. most like, many of the real life pairs who really abuse, we don't know that they know each other - usually the ones who publicly know each other are the honest ones anyway (but not always, definitely know of a couple exceptions there).

one time, i was recruiting for my cousin, he was gone the first couple cycles. he was at MN in tark while i was at UK. i ended up going after the same guy with both, totally by accident, i was like, wtf??. i figured i had to give up the battle with UK in the interest of fairness. not really relevant just was reminded for some reason by this story. the guy probably knows he was recruiting the same guy, but who knows, maybe not?

9/22/2014 11:12 AM
Posted by llamanunts on 9/22/2014 11:12:00 AM (view original):
I just assumed he's using an additional budget to pay for some scouting trips, and that was enough to get considered by the second team.
hmm, that makes sense. how are the schools, is one good and the other sucks, or something? 

seems a little strange to collude with yourself when your IDs are that similar. i wonder if he really has any intention to collude, or just went for the same guy by mistake?
9/22/2014 11:15 AM
I haven't looked at the schools in question.  I'm figuring one (or both) of two things is true:

1. The guy's kind of a dummy.

2. He didn't expect the recruit to consider the second team based solely on scouting trips.

9/22/2014 12:17 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/22/2014 11:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bro_lunardi on 9/21/2014 2:47:00 PM (view original):

is his prestige a lot lower with esup or something? was the guy maybe a dropdown for esup and he was waiting to pick him up? that would definitely be cheating. although not as bad as if he fights two people with those same schools. where are those schools, just curious?

One is in PA with a B- prestige the other is in DC with a B prestige. The cycle that I noticed it he was leaning towards ESUP and is now considering only them.
9/22/2014 12:30 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 9/22/2014 12:17:00 PM (view original):
I haven't looked at the schools in question.  I'm figuring one (or both) of two things is true:

1. The guy's kind of a dummy.

2. He didn't expect the recruit to consider the second team based solely on scouting trips.

Why would he send scouting visits with the second team?  Wouldn't his first team have the scouting info or FSS views?  If first team was low on cash and couldn't afford scouting visits to determine high/high, etc.. and he used his second team, who had more money, to get SV than that is cheating.
9/23/2014 2:19 PM
12 Next ▸
Strange goings on during recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.