Increase in STL recruits? Topic

Just curious if anyone has noticed an increase of STL recruits. With my Heisman team (Miami OH), I have found and signed a STL recruit each of the last two seasons. Also found one in my last recruiting cycle in Bryant. Are they starting to pop up on a more regular basis or is this just dumb luck?

Also, these are the first STL recruits that I have found in D1. How much value would one put in an STL at the D1 level? I know that potential is not worth as much as say D3 or D2. It still has to matter at least a little bit right?
9/29/2014 5:46 PM
I have not seen an STL in 5 years, not seasons, but years. I do see a lot of Above Average RCs. Improve a lot over 4 seasons. ETC but no STL

Above Average is about  the same as an STL just worded different and usually will not grow quite as fast.

I have been at the IA level for a long time now.

9/29/2014 5:54 PM
I have not seen an STL in a while (D3, D2, D1AA, or D1A).  However, I've been in "rebuilding mode" for pretty much all my teams since the dumbing down of D3.  When I was at D3 I saw an STL about every 3-4 seasons maybe.
9/30/2014 1:08 PM
I have found three STL's the last two seasons in D2 but only signed two of them.  Prior to that, I hadn't found one in at least 15 seasons.  Are you in a rebuilding mode with low vision or in a built dynasty with great vision?
9/30/2014 3:12 PM
Is incredible upside potential the same thing?   If so I've found 3 in my 2 seasons of playing, OL,TE and DL.  One team had good vision the other average.
10/24/2014 4:21 PM (edited)
Yes, it's the same thing.

It does seem that I have been seeing a few more the past 2-3 seasons.
9/30/2014 5:01 PM
Now where do you put the value of a STL at the D1 level? I took a player who was probably a bit lower than I would like to go (A DB with a Guess of 64.3) because he was a STL. I know that potential doesn't mean as much in D1, I guess I am just trying to figure out how much.
9/30/2014 6:26 PM
I have been fortunate enough to find several STL guys throughout my coaching career(s). It has been my experience that STL growth v. Above Avg is prob about 1.5 pts GUESS rating per year at D3, prob 1.2 pts at D2, and a little under 1 pt at D1-AA.

ie.-Player A-STL grows from 42 to 48.5 Guess position rating FR year while Player B-Above Avg with similar WE and playing time grows from 42 to 47 position rating by SO year. The actual rating #s are completely made up, but I hope this makes sense to you.

Anyone else find similar or dif growth rates?

Haven't been to the Show yet to give you D1 info. My time will come.
9/30/2014 8:17 PM
I have found 1 STL player, an OL, in 12 seasons.
9/30/2014 11:22 PM
I've only seen 2 in 10 seasons at D3 and was fortunate enough to sign both. 
9/30/2014 11:25 PM
I have found 2 STL's in D3 in the last 3 seasons (both OL). 
10/1/2014 1:56 PM
After years of not seeing any I have seen 5 over the last 6 months, didn't get all of them and every one of them were found looking for depth in what I would consider the bottom of the average talent for that level.
10/1/2014 6:02 PM
agreed rwings, most are found in the lower talent range. However, I believe 2000champou can attest to some higher talent guys being STL as well. 
10/1/2014 10:10 PM
I am sure I just got lucky, but I currently have 4 on my Baylor team in Rockne. 3 DL and a TE
10/2/2014 12:24 AM
I've only played against him recently on my alt. ID and yes he's a tough opponent.
10/2/2014 12:09 PM
12 Next ▸
Increase in STL recruits? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.