New Commissioner Here Topic

I just took over the reigns from obiewon777 for the world 7Mickey7. I have some big shoes to fill as the new commissioner. I was interested to hear from other commissioners as to the dos and don’ts of the job.
9/29/2014 8:42 PM
Don't advertise in the forum too fast after rollover.
9/30/2014 4:10 AM
Why would you wait?
9/30/2014 6:44 AM

The biggest "do" of the job is that you need to make sure that you put what's best for the world as a whole over what's best for any one individual owner.  You also have to make sure that whatever rules you have in place apply equally to all 31 owners, whether it's the great guy who everybody likes who's been there since day 1, or the insufferable jerk who just joined last season.  If you start making exceptions or play favorites, then you're not doing the job effectively.

This means that there may be times when you're going to find yourself in a position where you have to make a decision or enforce a rule that's going to **** somebody off, and you're going to take some flak.  When that happens, make sure you refer back to the first thing I mentioned above . . . . what's best for the world must trump what's best for any one particular owner.  If the majority of the world is not going to be on board with that, then you've got a world that's not committed to being strong and successful.

9/30/2014 7:42 AM
Three things:

1.  Figure out what type of world you want and stick to it.   If you want experienced owners only, don't accept n00bs just to fill.   If you want to make sure trading is fair, make an easily enforceable rule.  If you want a minimum win requirement, make it a hard rule.  Any rules you make should be cut and dry.   And easy to recognize/enforce.

2.  Find out who's returning, who's leaving around roster expansion.  That's late enough for people to know what they're doing and EARLY enough to start recruiting for next season.  One of the dumbest mistakes I see is a commish saying "OK, we just rolled and it looks like we've got 5 openings.  I'll wait a couple of days to see if the departures will return and then I'll start a recruitment thread."    How in the hell can you expect a quick rollover if you wait a week after the WS to start seeking new owners?

3.  What tec said.   Whatever rules you make, apply them equally and fairly to everyone.  Including yourself.   Plenty of owners in the two worlds I commish think I'm a jerk but none have accused me of being a jerk that plays favorites.

9/30/2014 8:07 AM
Thanks
9/30/2014 8:33 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 9/30/2014 6:44:00 AM (view original):
Why would you wait?
No matter how many times you ask someone always gets ****** if you fill their team the day after rollover and then you've got a big fight in WC,
10/1/2014 2:32 AM
Posted by topoftheworl on 10/1/2014 2:32:00 AM (view original):
Why would you wait?
No matter how many times you ask someone always gets ****** if you fill their team the day after rollover and then you've got a big fight in WC,
They've had three months to reserve their team.  If they lose their team after rollover because they never reserved, they have nobody to blame but themselves.
10/1/2014 6:42 AM
Why would you wait?
No you don't.   They can't post in the WC because they're not there.    If the standard is "Re-up or risk losing your team", people will re-up.   You shouldn't hold up a world for one owner.   See tec's post. 
10/1/2014 6:45 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/1/2014 6:45:00 AM (view original):
Why would you wait?
No you don't.   They can't post in the WC because they're not there.    If the standard is "Re-up or risk losing your team", people will re-up.   You shouldn't hold up a world for one owner.   See tec's post. 
I agree it SHOULD work the way you are proposing, but they sitemail friends still in the league and then you have ****storm in your WC.  I waited 24 hours the first time, 48 the second time and then decided my income is sufficient that I didn't need the $10 and just wanted to play.
10/1/2014 6:58 PM
It CAN work the way I'm proposing.   In fact, it does.   Moonlight Graham and Cooperstown.   Waitlists, quick rolls and high-level competition. 

If you give people an excuse, they will use it. 
10/1/2014 7:22 PM
I had an owner in Mantle who neglected to re-up a couple of seasons ago, and he ended up losing his team.  You know what he did?  He owned up to it, accepted that it was his own fault for losing his team, and then had to wait two seasons to get another team in the world (not his original one) because we had no openings the following season.
10/1/2014 9:17 PM
that's how a man does it
10/2/2014 7:33 AM
Interesting point
10/2/2014 8:24 PM
My advice is don't become one at all. I have not even been through the first rollover but I already know I do not have the patience for the job. It is remarkable to me that some people do not have the simple courtesy to hit reply, type yes, no or not sure and then hit send after reading a sitemail. When my life becomes so busy I cant do that I'll kill myself.
10/3/2014 9:28 PM
12 Next ▸
New Commissioner Here Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.