AL Cy Young 2014 Topic

Felix had  13 no-decisions with an 1.88 ERA  and a WHIP < 1.00  When the Mariners scored 3+ runs, Felix was 14-1. He had 10 games in which they scored 0-2 runs. (1-5 W-L)

Imagine 10 wins in the ND games....25-6 and no discussion about who the CY goes to.

10/4/2014 1:18 AM (edited)
M's better sign a hitter or two next year

Do they pay big bucks for V. Martinez? Cruz? Cuddyear?

10/4/2014 1:48 AM
Vmart. Need guys who get on base.
10/4/2014 9:58 AM
it's felix 1 kluber 2 sale 3 lester 4 richards 5 price 6 samardzija 7 carrasco 8 anibal 9 and betances 10

the orifice has spoken

bffffffffffffffffffft
10/5/2014 9:51 AM
Posted by razorclams on 10/4/2014 1:48:00 AM (view original):
M's better sign a hitter or two next year

Do they pay big bucks for V. Martinez? Cruz? Cuddyear?

They refused to pay for Nelson Cruz this year and that came back to haunt them big time.  Cuddyer is just the kind of veteran the Mariners have signed in the past.  Honestly, they need all 3!
10/5/2014 3:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the Mariners are pretty well out of money.  Cuddyer is probably about the best you can hope for.
10/5/2014 5:56 PM
Or a third attempt at a Kendrys contract...
10/5/2014 6:00 PM
Not even close. They signed a 2 billion dollar TV contract last year. First order of the end of season presser was that they would be increasing spending going forward. Good attendance at the yard to boot.
10/5/2014 6:03 PM

No team is "out of money".    It's all a matter of allocation.  And, of course, future expectations. 

10/5/2014 7:16 PM
I know they have some money to spend, but I think pitching is the top priority.  They had 2 great starters this year followed by a black hole of nothingness.  I think they're comfortable with Paxton as the #3 guy going forward, and might be ready to bring back Chris Young, but I think they'd like a major upgrade over the other young guys they tried this year (Elias, Ramirez, Maurer, etc).

If they're comfortable counting on 22-year-old Taijuan Walker next season, maybe they spend the big bucks on a bat.  But right now I'd be a lot less surprised to see them make a serious run at Lester than V-Mart.

Although I suppose if they think Walker is just close, they could settle for a guy like Peavy or Hammel (or a gamble on Beckett, who might be forced to take a 1-year deal) and chase 1 or more top free agent bats.  I don't think the top FA bats (V-Mart, Hanley, Sandoval) are good fits.  They are ok at third, so unless they think Hanley is worth a move back to SS, probably for some years, he doesn't fit, and Sandoval obviously doesn't for the same reason.  V-Mart is just older than virtually anyone on the roster, and I think they want to stay young if they can.

Yasmani Tomas could be a very interesting option.  Based on recent Cuban imports, he could get pretty expensive, but likely in the 7-figure range, so not totally over-the-top expenditure.
10/5/2014 7:48 PM
Pitching is not the top priority. They were shutout 19 times last season. Mariners need bat(s), it's been that way for a looooooooong time. Getting those bats has been a disaster. Adam Jones got traded as a prospect for Erik Bedard. They acquired a top hitting prospect, Jesus Montero, he turned out to be a PED bust.

Cano is good, but they'll be paying him huge cash into his 40 year old season. We've signed a slew of washed up former hitters hoping they'd magically become good again, they haven't.
10/5/2014 8:19 PM
◂ Prev 12
AL Cy Young 2014 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.