Small Forward Role Topic

Does anyone have a successful player role set up for small forwards that they have had success with and are comfortable sharing? I've had trouble determining how to approach the small forward position.

Thanks in advance.

10/15/2014 1:02 PM
At DIII, you should really just be looking for guys that are good athletes and have decent cores. When you find guys that are great athletes and have great cores, you can end up with players like this, who are just absolutely dominant at the 3, although I currently have him playing the 2. 
10/15/2014 2:17 PM
Since you're playing zone, the answer is not straightforward.   If you play 2-3, then the SF position is averaged into the PF position defensively.  If you play 3-2, then the SF is averaged with the guards!  At D3, it might be hard to find a single player that is the best option in both defenses.  In either case, Rebounding is not averaged the same way.  

So, you need ATH, REB, BH, P and either (SPD, PER) or (LP, FT).   One way to think of it is to skip SF and just sign an extra PF and an extra SG.   When you feel like playing 2-3. then start the PF.  When you want to play 3-2, then start the SG (maybe a slow SG that can rebound a bit).   Every Player role that I've set zeroes out WE & DUR.  I've set up a Player Role "3 - Perimeter" and "3 Forward" - that's probably my best tip on using that tool.

Be careful of relying on player roles.  You need to be projecting upperclassmen, not signing the best rated freshmen.  It's a helpful sorting tool, but not much more.

10/15/2014 4:33 PM (edited)
I like to think of SF's as the best way you can customize your team, there is more flexibility there than with any other position.  Want a fast-paced 3 point shooting team?  Stick a high PER SG in at SF.  How about a slow paced team aimed at limiting your opponents possessions?  Put in a high REB PF at SF.  

If your team is well constructed and the other 4 players compliment the SF well, you can get away with playing a wide range of players at SF.
10/15/2014 5:05 PM
As a new owner, I find it easier to recruit solid SF since there is less competition to recruit them.
10/15/2014 7:03 PM
I'm with lunardi.
I go for the best player possible. I don't care about anything else. Some years I start 3 bigs, other years I start 3 pgs. As long as you balance your scoring (have some inside and some out), take the best player that the recruiting sim gives you.
10/17/2014 10:46 AM
Posted by stewdog on 10/17/2014 10:46:00 AM (view original):
I'm with lunardi.
I go for the best player possible. I don't care about anything else. Some years I start 3 bigs, other years I start 3 pgs. As long as you balance your scoring (have some inside and some out), take the best player that the recruiting sim gives you.
That's been my approach so far. I often have balanced pg or pf in the sf spot depending on the game. Just wanted to see what you guys thought as well.

Thanks for the feedback!

10/17/2014 11:51 AM
I used to pigeon hole the SF position as well, and just played a SF there. I now use it as a flex spot, as mentioned here already, for SF, SG, and PF. The idea being best player. I have recently started recruiting more "hybrid" talent for this spot. Again, best player with the best ratings to attack opponents. I like having a third PER option to put pressure on the D, so I always try and find high-high shooting SF, who can pass and handle the ball. Many seasons I don't have that, so I will park a PF in that spot to get more reb, block shots, or even take advantage if my PF can shoot. A shooting PF is my new guilty pleasure by the way. This is the long answer, but for SF see how comfortable you can get recruiting great talent over instead "well, I have to sign a SF here." It will open up your offense, and give you more options. Just one more guy that can shoot lights out, or come with low post, or crash boards can swing a lot of games your way. Hope this makes sense.
10/20/2014 5:40 PM
Centers work just fine there as well, fwiw. Most of my great teams are almost all pg or centers.
10/21/2014 2:50 PM
rogelio offered some great advice for the zone. i typically play man and am running one team with the press at the moment. if you ever switch to either of these, you might consider that a lot of coaches put their best / most versatile scorer at the 3. to address this, i'll often put my best defensive player (high ath/spd/def) who is not otherwise a scorer at the sf position and have him shut down the other side's stud - i will also try to supplement a big man reb deficiency with a sf who has decent reb and ath ratings (examples of two players that i am rotating at the sf position, albeit at d2, are here and here
10/21/2014 3:38 PM
Small Forward Role Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.