College Baseball League $120 M cap (full) Topic

College Baseball League $120 Million cap
. 24 teams. No: DH, AAA, WW, Clones, Trades. Pick a college and your team must have a core of 10 players who went to that college. NOTE: We’ll use the Baseball Reference website of colleges as the definitive list for who is eligible for your college. Use this link: http://www.baseball-reference.com/schools/
Find your school and click on their link to see who is listed as having played in the Majors. You’ll need at least 10 players from that list who also appear in WIS.

The remaining 15 roster spots can be filled with 2 types of players: 1. Additional players from your college’s list in Baseball Reference; 2. Teammates of your 10 core players in the specific years you select them. For example, if I have Charlie Gehringer as one of my 10 core players and the season for him I opt to go with is 1927, I can have any other 1927 Tiger on my roster. No twisting and no selecting Gehringer teammates from any season other than 1927. If a core player has multiple MLB teams listed in WIS for the year you select, the team you pick for your player in WIS is the only one you can select teammates from.

If you do select additional players from that college beyond the 10 core ones, you can NOT pick teammates of those additional players to fill out your roster. The teammate option only applies to your 10 core guys. So if you end up with 14 guys from that college, you’ll need to designate which 10 of those 14 are your core players.  The remaining 11 spots can then be filled with teammates of those 10 core players.

One instance of a given college so first come, first serve on signing up here for them. You can pick any stadium but there will only be one instance of a given stadium so first come, first serve on signing up for that here as well.

I’ll set up the league and send out the league number once there are 10 teams signed up.

You can have 2 teams, but they’ll be placed in separate leagues. Leagues and divisions will be set up as much as possible along regional/conference affiliations, noting that if a manager has two teams that will override the regional/conference affiliation.

Team name must be that college and their nickname. E.g.: North Carolina Tar Heels; Purdue Boilermakers; Pepperdine Waves; Bucknell Bison; Fordham Rams.

Either post your 10 core players to the post for this league in Theme League Forum (which can be at a time later than your initial sign up) or site mail me your core list so I know who to verify in Baseball Reference and know who can have teammates added. 

One more note:   Places like California State University Long Beach and California State University Northridge are distinct (they are not one university called "California State University"). The Baseball Reference website for colleges has separate links for those schools. If there is a separate link in Baseball Reference, then it is a different school.

I’ll start it off by selecting the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), and Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Colleges and Stadiums already selected: 

1.ghsisler-University of Michigan/Olympic Stadium
2. specsman-USC/Shibe Park
3. redwingscup-Michigan State University/Dodger Stadium
4. Got_Worms-Wichita State University/Royals Stadium
5. benfc-North Carolina, Chapel Hill/Minute Maid Park
6. elduro25-Arizona State/Washington Park III
7. dvorr80-Columbia/Forbes Field
8. Hoofhearted-Fordham/Jefferson Street Ground 
9. Rattlers-University of Texas, Austin/Arlington Stadium
10. gyrene-Notre Dame/Petco Park
11. ghsisler-St. Mary's College of California/Robison Field
12. doubletruck-UCLA/Cinergy Field
13. zephyr1949-University of Nebraska, Lincoln/Kaufman Stadium
14. tycho88-Boston University/Fenway Park
15. jpeterso-Sacramento City College/Candlestick Park
16. gyrene-University of Wisconsin, Madison/AT&T
17. RWHAY-Texas Christian University/Comiskey Park
18. aaronwayne-University of Missouri/Busch
19. Rattlers-Holy Cross/Yankee Stadium II
20. heybatr-University of Illinois, Chamapagne-Urbana/Wrigley Field
21. jpeterso-San Diego State University/Qualcomm
22. dlchow-University of Florida, Gainesville/Land Shark Stadium
23. poppapomp-California State University, Long Beach/Edison International Field
24. heybatr34-Stanford/Metrodome
10/28/2014 4:24 PM (edited)

USC/ Shibe Park

10/15/2014 5:35 PM
love this idea,  count me in for Michigan State University, the reigning Rose Bowl Champs, playing at Dodger Stadium in a continued celebration of 2014 victory in Pasadena.
10/15/2014 7:40 PM
What a great idea!  I've been toying with ways to make the college baseball theme work.  I for one will take as many players from my school as possible to fill out the roster.   I even created a spreadsheet outlining key players for each school!

Count me in and I'll select my school soon.  Leaning towards Georgia Tech.
10/15/2014 8:25 PM
I'm in UNC=CH
10/15/2014 8:49 PM
What the heck I'll take Washington State University at the Kingdome.
10/15/2014 10:20 PM
seems like we ought to demand more than 10 from the school....
10/15/2014 10:43 PM
Posted by Galveston on 10/15/2014 10:43:00 PM (view original):
I agree as it seems to go with the spirit of the theme. If you can make a roster of 25 players from your school go for it! Lowering the cap would be the only way to make it competitive.
10/15/2014 11:19 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 10/15/2014 11:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Galveston on 10/15/2014 10:43:00 PM (view original):
I agree as it seems to go with the spirit of the theme. If you can make a roster of 25 players from your school go for it! Lowering the cap would be the only way to make it competitive.
I thought a lot about that.  The biggest problem is that the higher number you go, the fewer schools there are that can field competitive teams, or even field teams at all.  You really shrink the pool, which means you shrink the pool of people interested in playing (since a lot of people would only be interested if their school can field a team and be competitive).  Plus with the lower number, some pretty cool options are out there, such as Bucknell and Columbia.  Bucknell only has 24 major leaguers listed, but several didn't play enough to qualify for any season in WIS.  At 10, they can field a viable team.  Even at 15 they couldn't.  Columbia is similar.  They have 22 listed major leaguers, but they have some VERY high level guys for such a small pool.  I'm really hoping someone takes them (if no one does, I'd probably take them as a 2nd team).

I could see going to 15-20 sometime, but it likely would need to be a 16 team league.  Even though there are enough schools that have enough players, several of them just don't have the quality so you'd also have to lower the cap a lot to make it competitive.  

I do encourage people, as Got_Worms mentions, to try and fit more than 10 in if you can.  In the mock up of my team I have 13.  I'm still tweaking it a bit, so I may end up slightly higher or slightly lower.  I have decent enough infielders & RPs available, but I couldn't field much of a team if I had to rely on the starting pitchers & outfielders available just from my school.  While there are enough bodies to fill a complete roster, the quality at some positions just isn't there.  

10/16/2014 5:30 AM (edited)
I have no illusions of my team being all that competitive, but as a Spartan, it will be cool to see names like Gibson, Garvey, Radatz, Robin Roberts, and Mulder on my roster.  I like the teammate concept... Spartan Larry Jaster wasn't very good, but he was on the 1968 Cardinals so I'll be able to put that iteration of Bob Gibson on my team.  Means wasting 150 innings of the lousy Jaster that year so the composition of the team will be interesting to say the least. 
10/16/2014 12:09 PM
I'll use Minute Maid Park, Houston
10/16/2014 1:18 PM
No Jim Abbott or Derek Jeter?!
10/16/2014 8:02 PM
ASU Sun Devils, stadium TBA
10/16/2014 8:37 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 10/16/2014 8:02:00 PM (view original):
No Jim Abbott or Derek Jeter?!
Don't get me going on Derek Jeter.  He wasn't on the list, but he should have been since he did attend Michigan for a semester (before Steinbrenner dangled enough $ in front of him to entice him away).  Larkin was still a strong option and I couldn't have had both.  Branch Rickey should have been there too since he earned a law degree from Michigan (in addition to being Michigan's baseball coach while George Sisler played there).  He'd actually have made a good backup catcher.

For this salary cap, Abbott unfortunatly didn't have any good enough years.  If the salary cap were $100M or lower he would have been a good option.

10/16/2014 8:58 PM
Jeter isn't listed with Michigan? Is A-Rod or Piazza listed under Miami?
10/16/2014 9:12 PM
12345 Next ▸
College Baseball League $120 M cap (full) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.