Unrated Abilities and Pitch Selection Topic

I have noticed some abilities in players that I don't think are represented anywhere in the ratings:

~ I have a RF who is a freak for HBPs and also had a C who would take one off the knee pretty often. Both have good Batting Eye numbers, but were dissimilar in every other hitting category. I have, however, had other good BE players who are quick to jump out of the way of any inside pitch.

~ I have also noticed that some pitchers are much harder to run on than others. This is not always related to the LH advantage for holding runners on or to his velocity or to the quality of the pitcher's defensive arm or accuracy or to the similar qualities of the catcher.

~ Though I haven't noticed these I wonder if there is a number that includes a pitcher's likelihood to balk (Makeup?) or to a first baseman's ability to perform the stretch (Range?, his height?, LH vs RH?) or to sneak to the bag behind a runner with a big lead. These may be marginal things, but I tend to have a lot of one run games and small advantages could matter.

~ Also, does a pitcher's Pitch Selection number mean anything? Does a catcher with a high Pitch Selection number always go to the pitcher's best pitches or is he making a calculation about what pitches the batter has hit into play, fouled off, swung at and missed, laid off of or yarded previously?

... And is there any way to know if a hitter can't hit a breaking ball? Or high heat? Or a knuckler? I assume that this is all in the Contact number... or the Batting Splits. I risk being subjected to a familiar bad pun, but I also assume that if there is a big drop between a pitcher's second and third pitch, no matter what what his Stamina number, he is better coming out of the pen. Any comments?

10/18/2014 8:01 PM
1) HBP is related to the TEMPER rating. Check that.

2) Running is stymied by the C arm strength. Regardless of accuracy. IOW a high AS will result in fewer base stealing attempts.

3) IDK about balks, but stretching is related to the management console setting "base running aggressiveness".

4) ADMIN has made conflicting comments regarding the importance of the order of a pitcher's Pitch ratings. A catcher's PC rating seems to equate to about  .125 of ERA per every 10 in that rating. IOW a catcher with a 90 PC rating will result in about a .5 difference in ERA over a guy with a 50 PC rating.

5) The pitch names "slider, fastball, etc" are all cosmetic only and have no bearing in the sim engine. I haven't noticed your last statement being true, but I haven't looked into it either. I would lean towards "no", but I couldn't say so with complete confidence.
10/18/2014 8:40 PM
Thank you, very helpful.
10/18/2014 9:10 PM
3)  I think the 1st baseman doing the stretch to get the batter out has more to do with his glove/range than the runner's manager's baserunning aggresiveness settings
10/18/2014 10:26 PM
Posted by bfkfraser on 10/18/2014 10:26:00 PM (view original):
3)  I think the 1st baseman doing the stretch to get the batter out has more to do with his glove/range than the runner's manager's baserunning aggresiveness settings
Yeah I totally misread his question on that one. 
10/18/2014 10:50 PM
2) Pick-offs are scored as Caught Stealings, so the stats should tell us what the ratings mean.  To me it looks like CSs and overall stolen base % are linked to (particularly) pitcher arm strength and (maybe) pitcher arm accuracy. I've never looked at the pitchers' fielding screen before today, but i just did and you can tell how it's scaled based on the relative statistical outputs of a series of players under otherwise equal conditions.

For the sake of fun analysis here is a sample five:
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Geraldo Zorrilla
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Rafael Canseco
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Daniel Peterson
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Lyle Spencer
 Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Benito Olivares

Zorilla and Canseco's ratings are the most similar, Zorilla is RHP and Canseco is LHP so Canseco contributes to throwing out a lot more guys, this is accentuated for Spencer who is very difficult to run on at all, and in the other direction with Peterson who is effortlessly easy to run on
10/20/2014 10:58 PM
"To me it looks like CSs and overall stolen base % are linked to (particularly) pitcher arm strength and (maybe) pitcher arm accuracy."

No.
10/21/2014 12:26 PM
Yeah, I was going to post that but with examples to prove it wrong rather than just a few hundred innings of pitcher stats. 

This is the 3rd-4th time that pjfoster has thrown **** against the wall to see what will stick.
10/21/2014 2:30 PM
this is the 35,000th time you've thrown **** at the wall but you keep doing it.  the inputs lead to outputs, it's not rocket science it's basic statistics
10/21/2014 2:51 PM
No, I actually have some stats, a significant amount of stats, to back up my claims.   Your examples, Zorrilla and Canseco, have played together for less than half a season(Zorrilla pitched 53 innings).    Even better, you used three WILDLY different catchers, almost equally, on the same team.    I can't imagine you have any idea which catcher caught those innings.

Harry Rivera C 71 61 522.2 429 22 1 3 0 0 .998 7.77
David Burnitz C 82 42 450.0 373 19 0 2 0 0 1.000 7.84
Pedro Arredondo C 62 59 484.0 399 15 5 1 0 0 .988 7.70

Surely you realize how ridiculously small that sample size is,
10/21/2014 2:59 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Victor Pascual, with his stupid low AS/AA, had a very high CS%.  He's also RH.
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Will Mahoney, with his stupid high AS/AA, have a very low CS%.  Also RH.
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jimmy Powell, with a high AS/AA similar to Mahoney, had a team average CS%.  LH

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Francisco Melendez caught 1215 of the 1460 innings we played.

That, in itself, is a much larger sample size and a far more credible statistical analysis than the gibberish you posted.
10/21/2014 3:05 PM
provide us evidence that you actually know what the algorithms are.  Can you actually write the formulas?  Then what you're doing is the exact same thing i'm doing, but you disagree and in your world you're always right and other people are wrong and that's fine, but you can't actually tell us what the algorithms are either, so
10/21/2014 4:15 PM
....it also still doesn't change the fact that pick-offs are scored as Caught Stealings, so please tell us that those are "just random"
10/21/2014 4:20 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 10/21/2014 4:15:00 PM (view original):
provide us evidence that you actually know what the algorithms are.  Can you actually write the formulas?  Then what you're doing is the exact same thing i'm doing, but you disagree and in your world you're always right and other people are wrong and that's fine, but you can't actually tell us what the algorithms are either, so

You're correct(sort of).  I am doing the exact same thing as you're doing.    EXCEPT I have a much larger, far more reliable sample size and I'm not making claims of "This is how it works".      So, no, I guess I'm not doing the exact same thing as you at all. 

10/21/2014 4:33 PM
Posted by pjfoster13 on 10/21/2014 4:20:00 PM (view original):
....it also still doesn't change the fact that pick-offs are scored as Caught Stealings, so please tell us that those are "just random"
Didn't disagree with this at all.    However, I'll need you to show your work that pick-offs are far more frequent with LH pitchers who throw hard. 
10/21/2014 4:35 PM
123 Next ▸
Unrated Abilities and Pitch Selection Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.