Blitzing questions Topic

For LBs do you go with OLB or ILB?
For DBs do you use S or CB?
And what is your primary blitz % for passing downs like 2nd or 3rd and long?
Here is what I usually do:
OLB
S
25-35%

Was thinking it may be better to blitz with ILB to leave OLB to cover. Thoughts?
10/22/2014 11:56 PM
I believe the combinations of formations makes a HUGE difference when doing this.

You need to match the offense with the defense, and also the run/pass.

To some degree you can think of it in real football terms, but for the most part, you need to experiment with your defense (and the players in it) to see what works and what does not.  

I mostly use the 3-4 full time.  With that I will blitz from every position, or not at all, depending on what offensive formation I am facing and what I expect them to do.  Regarding the 3-4 it appears that you cannot get effective pressure on the QB without blitzing.

10/23/2014 9:09 AM
So, Harris, if they're a running team you likely don't want to blitz?  Is there such a thing as a run blitz?  I'd love someone to go more in depth on this...
10/23/2014 9:30 PM
Well, again...it depends.  Also, keep in mind that there is no difference between setting a LB to LINE vs BLITZ.  Other than you can specify a % of time that a blitz will occur.

You are gonna have to see what you find yourself, but my data tells me that blitzing from a 4-3 is not effective.  Blitzing from the 3-4 is effective vs some formations and not effective vs others.  I have not compared ILB vs OLB vs S vs CB thus far, to see if one or the other is more or less effective when blitzing in those situations.

Keep in mind that LBs primarily cover TEs and RBs.  CBs primarily cover WRs.  The safeties pick up various.  So....from that I would "completely guess" that blitzing a LB from the 4-3 vs a passing WB would be a bad idea.  Blitzing a CB might be effective since there is only 1 WR in the bone formation.  See where I"m going with this?

With my 3-4 I recruit OLBs and CBs.  Then I just put the worst of those at ILB and S.  Soooooo I might get different results if I had different talent.

10/24/2014 7:23 PM
I see you took good notes when we had our cocoached team harris! Love those fast talented OLBs
10/28/2014 1:23 AM
Posted by sammyboy4022 on 10/28/2014 1:23:00 AM (view original):
I see you took good notes when we had our cocoached team harris! Love those fast talented OLBs
I sure did!!!  I became a fan of the 3-4 then...and am trying to make it work in this engine.  I have had some really good success with it....but if you don't have the right talent, you cannot run it successfully vs all formations.  This engine seems to be a bit more sensitive to talent (and more so formation IQ) in the matchups between different formations.
10/28/2014 9:15 AM
I blitz like crazy - usually around 75%. With that, I almost always lead the conference in sacks and interceptions, both of which due to heavy pressure on the QB. I sometimes give up big plays but the risk is DEFINITELY worth the return. Blitz all day.
10/28/2014 4:05 PM
Posted by debruemmer on 10/28/2014 4:05:00 PM (view original):
I blitz like crazy - usually around 75%. With that, I almost always lead the conference in sacks and interceptions, both of which due to heavy pressure on the QB. I sometimes give up big plays but the risk is DEFINITELY worth the return. Blitz all day.
I think you need to specify:

1.  From what defensive formation(s)?
2.  What division?
3.  From what position(s)?
10/28/2014 6:58 PM
Yes, we want to know all of your secrets. Please.
10/28/2014 7:11 PM
I have looked at some other successful coaches and it seems like they blitz only occasionally.
10/28/2014 10:06 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 10/28/2014 6:58:00 PM (view original):
Posted by debruemmer on 10/28/2014 4:05:00 PM (view original):
I think you need to specify:

1.  From what defensive formation(s)?
2.  What division?
3.  From what position(s)?
Well I've only got one team because I have pretty little free time - so D1AA. I run mainly 3-4 and Nickel. I've been blitzing mostly linebackers from 3-4 always have at least one set to line, but am starting to add in safety bltizes, as I'm noticing a lot of completions on me are to RB/TE. Still I've managed to maintain one of the best defenses in D1AA so I have no reason to change.
10/29/2014 2:20 PM
Blitzing questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.