spot in the batting order Topic

Everything else being equal, will a player perform the same regardless of where he hits in the lineup?

Other than less ABs over the course of the season, if he's moved down in the order.
10/24/2014 2:45 PM

The counting numbers(RS, RBI, etc) will be the only thing that changes.    I suspect the IBB settings MIGHT walk an occassional player to pitch to a better match-up but I doubt there's any data to back that up.

10/24/2014 3:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/24/2014 3:43:00 PM (view original):

The counting numbers(RS, RBI, etc) will be the only thing that changes.    I suspect the IBB settings MIGHT walk an occassional player to pitch to a better match-up but I doubt there's any data to back that up.

The IBB thing is at least detectable in 8th place hitters in the NL.  Bono Lewis, hardly my most fearsome hitter, led my (NL) team in IBB while batting 8th all season-- but with 6 IBB.  No one else had more than 3.  It's been 5 seasons since that team was led in IBB by anyone other than the 8th place hitter, or since anyone not batting 8th had more than 7 IBB.  So in most of my NL seasons it's been a small effect at most.

On the other hand, back 11 seasons ago I had an élite hitter batting in the middle of the lineup draw 31 IBB, which is more than my entire team draws most seasons.  I can't remember what my lineup was that season or if that could possibly have contributed to all those IBBs, and I had the guy for 8 seasons and he never did anything like that the other 7.  Does anybody have a guy drawing a ton of IBB, and if so who's batting around him?
10/24/2014 4:56 PM

One would be forced to believe that facing pitchers is always a better match-up.    Just checked my long term teams and, under me, 16 was the most.  I generally have my best hitter batting 3rd.   And all the single season leaders in IBB were my best hitter.

10/24/2014 5:09 PM
i know patience factors into demotions and lack of promotions.  but is it concrete info that patience has nothing to do with performance, in regards to a demotion in the lineup.  or is this just speculation?

10/24/2014 11:29 PM
either way, i'm experimenting with it this season.  here's what i'm doing.

I'm taking my clean up batter from the last three seasons and hitting him 6th in the lineup.  he's had the same #3 hitter for all three seasons.  and he's had the same #5 hitter for the last two years.  

i'm keeping the order the same and making those three my #5, #6, and #7 hitters. here' they are:

www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx

my new cleanup batter will be:

so my current #4, #5, #6, and #7 batters will be as good or better than my #2, #3, #4, and #5 from the past three seasons.  

and Ned Francis had VERY similar stats all three years.  other than his 2 pt drop in power, there's no reason to think he couldnt hit similar numbers.   i'm only 20 games in, so if anyone has a suggestion.... right now is the time to give me advice.  I'm gonna keep this order all season long.

10/24/2014 11:40 PM (edited)
spot in the batting order Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.