1AA Blog Season 106 Topic

Coach of the Year Finalist

tampafla
orangepace
bucki22

To vote: Send me a sitemail with the name of the coach you are voting for.

Voting begins on the 17th at 3:00PM. Voting ends at midnight on the 19th.
12/15/2014 1:30 PM
Man there was some good games. JSU past few games were some close calls :)

I'm excited to join you guys next season. I don't think the team I'm going for will be any good next season but should be decent. They had one senior on the team this year and I think some 24 Juniors at the moment. The roster is a complete mess.

Anyway, you guys really know how to make watching your league entertaining.
12/15/2014 6:16 PM
I'm looking forward to you joining in with us cturk, this is definitely the most unique place to play in Gridiron Dynasty. If I didn't already have a team here then I would be working on getting one. When CJ starts covering both D1A and D1AA next season it may really lite a fire for new coaches in this world.
12/15/2014 8:20 PM
Totally agree that every owner should get a team in Wilkinson.

After the surprising upset of Morehead State, Morgan State is now favored to win it all at 39%. JSU now has a 26% chance of another championship, and Cal State and Dayton both have about a 17% chance of winning it all. I've got Morgan State favored by 6 while JSU is favored by 3 points in the semifinals.
12/15/2014 8:44 PM
1A too ? !! Wow Fox/WIS are ya PAYING attention ?
way to go cj
and Pete too... for not letting have him leave
12/15/2014 10:59 PM
You guys sure know how to lay on the pressure lol. Our run ends here CSU has way to much for us to hang with.
12/16/2014 12:16 AM
I looked at who my next opponent was and called in sick. ESPN is saying it's a heart issue. [/UrbanMeyer]     
12/16/2014 1:02 AM
We will be LIVE at 3:00pm EST today.

Bringing on a special guest to dissect the championship game.

Here is the link: www.blogtalkradio.com/whatifsports/2014/12/16/wilkinson-fcs-show--championship-edition

12/16/2014 1:27 PM
Really had some connection problems today. I apologize for that. Hopefully, in a few days, I'll have this figured out and we won't have any issues.
12/16/2014 3:45 PM
I predict Cal State 27 to 24.

Great job this season everyone. Thanks for all your work CJ.

I will argue a bit about Chip Kelly, I believe the true inventor of the offense Chip uses is a coach from Colorado School of mines , Bob Stitt. Talk about taking a risk I would not mind Colorado State giving him a serious look. 
12/16/2014 9:51 PM
You are correct that Bob Stitt is the mastermind behind that offense but Chip Kelly was the first to utilize it at a national level and Kelly took the offense a step further. He's a big believer is the science and medical part of sports, which is why he started practicing early in the morning. He found that bodies operate at a higher level during the early hours than in the afternoon hours. Additionally, he assigned his players with position specific diets. Some of it is a little OCD but that's his gig and he makes it work. Not only is that offense being used at every level in the game, but Kelly's general approach to the sport has been studied by guys such as Bill Belichick. 

I guess there are two reasons behind why I went on that rant during the show. One, I'm observing the scene at Michigan currently and I can't say that I have hope for their future. For starters, I believe the dynamics of recruiting have changed and that southern and western schools are more favored among high school kids. Secondly, I'm all for being patient, but this season's recruiting is going to take a major hit if they don't hire someone soon. What I've heard from many Michigan fans is that they all want Harbaugh. While I do believe that Harbaugh is one of the smartest coaches on the planet, I don't think Michigan has a shot at landing him. And above that, the main reason many Michigan fans want Harbaugh is because he's a "Michigan man." 

The second reason that I went on this rant is that my school, Liberty University, is likely going to fire the mens basketball head coach at the end of the season. He's in his seventh year and the team's RPI is currently, next to last in D1. Our school's tendency when hiring coaches has been to hire "big names." We hired Turner Gill, former Nebraska QB for football. We hired Dot Richardson, former USA olympian for our softball team. Our current basketball coach came over from Colorado. And I just feel that our philosophy is so easy and safe. We hire big names because it makes us feel comfortable. 

But what if Michigan football took a risk on a guy who is doing something different? There is a HS coach in Arkansas who doesn't punt. He goes for it on fourth down every single play. It sounds stupid but his team competes for the state championship every season. I'm not saying Michigan should hire the HS coach from Arkansas. But why not forgo all of this "big name" hires and all of this "Michigan man" hires and hire someone who takes risks? Hire someone who's edgy and makes you feel uncomfortable. 

For us, it's easy to just find a formation that other guys have had success with and hope it works out. It's safe because someone else has made it work. And there is no problem with following the success of someone else, in fact, that's a great way to learn. However, I also have a vast appreciation for creativity and guys who are willing to risk everything, and venture to unchartered territories. 

This wasn't meant to be a jab at anyone by the way. I think there are some fine coaches out there and I think everyone should learn from the more experienced guys. My rant just happened to me a thought that's been floating around for a while. Mostly, that's what intrigued me to start a radio show, the idea that I could throw thoughts out there on a public forum and have a voice. 
12/16/2014 11:50 PM
On that note, good luck to two incredible coaches tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to the game. 
12/16/2014 11:50 PM
Here is the WISCAST link for tomorrow:

whatifsports.com/gd/GameResults/WISCast.aspx

12/16/2014 11:53 PM
Thanks pete_61.

Even if pete_61 wins another championship this year. I think it's safe to say that the other teams are starting to catch up to JSU. That is just my opinion from observing you guys from the past three seasons.
12/17/2014 10:40 AM
Congratulations!

Pete61

Season 106 National Champions!
12/18/2014 9:23 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
1AA Blog Season 106 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.