Where are the HBD players? Topic

Also this:

http://www.whatifsports.com/forums/Posts.aspx?TopicID=481177&Page=1

The template for WifS has not changed since inception. 
11/24/2014 8:18 AM
Fun reading, fellas. Keep it up. I respect Mike's pov, but I'm inclined to believe that fox could do a much better job at getting the word out about this game. I heard about it by word of mouth. As soon as I "discovered" the game, I was hooked. It never occurred to me to look into sim sports. I just thought it sounded cool once I did hear of it. I would assume that there's at least a few thousand people just like I was. I also don't pay attention to ads of any kind, as a matter of course, so it's hard to say how fox could have made me aware of the game without spending prodigious amounts of dough on ads.
11/24/2014 8:24 AM
I don't disagree that FOX should advertise, and could do a better job of getting WifS on the radar, but you can't demonize me if you recognize that.   I'm just saying it's a very limited market.   As I said, I'm sure I told 50+ people about the site.  NONE joined.   These were people who played sports or fantasy football/baseball with me.  People with common interests.   Simulated games are just not for everyone. 
11/24/2014 8:33 AM

This is probably the most amazing thing to see.  Here is some advertising to promote forum mental health:

You are blocking the author of this post, MikeT23.
Show
Show
Show
Show

11/24/2014 8:41 AM
You know you're reading them.  Otherwise, you aren't coming back.    But, just so you know, it hurts me deeply that you pretend to block me.  

So let me ask you this:
How do you expect to fill your world if YOU don't ADVERTISE the openings in the classifieds?    And is it standard operating procedure for you to leave unattended teams in the world?   Missing owners are replaced in good worlds. 
11/24/2014 8:46 AM
This is funny:
Thunderclese Lake Monsters 11/21/2014 11:41 AM On a side note, 4 didn't say they were leaving, cademord, johndish, coachred and fhop0123... also they haven't said they're staying so we're in limbo at this point :/

This is the internet.   Why would anyone bother to tell you they're not returning to play an internet game?   And cademord disappeared on 9/30.   Seems like you could have figured out he wasn't returning. 
11/24/2014 8:51 AM
Anyone want to toss out a guess at how much Fox would accept as a buy-out for WiFS?  I can't imagine it's that complicated to change some of the coding.  Figure they bring in ~$125k/year in revenues but have very little overhead costs beyond keeping the site running.

Another problem is the cost/team.  I see this over at the Strat-o-Matic online site as well, which still charges $20-$25/team but has 5% of the play value of HBD (and I only participate in keeper leagues anymore).  When you are competing against video games that cost the same amount and provide numerous hours of entertainment, you really need to bring the cost into the $5-$10 range.

Two issues I could foresee with a lower cost: hard for the site to make enough money without a huge spike in volume, and with a huge spike in volume and a low cost of entry there will be even more absentee owners.  ("It was only $5, this takes too much time, who cares?")
11/24/2014 9:41 AM
The cost for a HBD team is about $.25 per day. 

Also, if they bring in about 125k per at about $20, you're talking about 30k at $5.    That wouldn't be worth keeping open.
11/24/2014 10:21 AM
At the end of the day, I don't think there are thousands, or even hundreds, of people out there seeking this game but A) don't know it exists or B) can't find it. 

I don't believe an advertising campaign is going to bring in any substantial number of new owners.    As I pointed out earlier, it is advertised on the Foxsports fantasy site.   Other than running ads during sporting events, I'm not sure where else they could put it.  And, quite honestly, that ad space is worth more than WifS brings in.   Magazines?  I couldn't tell you what ads are in them because I skip those pages.   Radio?  Am I the only person who tunes out commercials?

The problem with worlds filling isn't going away.  
11/24/2014 10:42 AM
Blaming it on a lack of advertising isn't going to help.

WifS should work on customer retention.   That's going to be the thing that kills HBD.
11/24/2014 10:44 AM
LOL.

Thunderclese Lake Monsters 11/24/2014 9:08 AM I've tried to post a classified ad several times and it won't let me.

But he had no problem posting here. 
11/24/2014 10:49 AM
This too:
Thunderclese Lake Monsters 11/24/2014 9:08 AM Ticket has been submitted. I was waiting a bit to hear back from owners who have not replied to the invitations back who did not give word they are leaving. I'm opening the recruiting needing all 7 teams to be filled.

When you wait 9 days to hear from people who didn't re-up before even starting a thread(or attempting to), how can you possibly expect a quick rollover?
11/24/2014 10:52 AM
Not to bash thunderclese, even though he's being a dick and I can't honestly recall any exchange with him before this thread, but all commishes get this at the end of the season:

Season 33 of World Moonlight Graham has completed.

The Little Rock  Stars (foulballz) defeated the Tacoma c  (clutch19) in the World Series to take home this year's championship.

Don't forget to renew your team for the upcoming year, if you haven't done so already. You have until 3 days after the World Series to do so or else your franchise is exposed to other users.You may renew for next season via the Franchise Center page which is available from the dropdown at the top of every Hardball Dynasty page.

Worlds will rollover to the next season between 72 and 96 hours after the completion of the big league World Series.

As the Private World's creator, it's still up to you to invite other users to fill any vacated franchises.  This season has a new password: "Jeffrey Truman".  You may distribute this password to friends or by using the Invite link available on the World Center page within the Private Worlds section.

Good luck in future seasons -- your Dynasty is what you make it!
11/24/2014 11:13 AM
That's how it's always been.   If you can't put in the time, pass the baton to someone who will.
11/24/2014 11:14 AM
I agree with it being a limited market.  Not a single person I play in my fantasy leagues with has ever tried this game, and Ive shown them all.  Im often asked how my teams are doing.  They know of some of the players Im trying to develop or trades Ive gone through... and they ask me about them.  Over beers, Ive spent time going over the site trying to show them the simplicity of which it takes to get started but the complexity it takes to master.  The single most common response is, "It looks cool, but looks complicated".  Which I dont get, as they arent dumb people.  They are fully capable of playing… they just don’t want to get started.

Then I remember fantasy sports were the exact the same way when they started.  When I had to use my Baseball Weekly to play, I heard the same responses.  What changed (besides the internet), is the fact that Fantasy sports started becoming 'cool'.  Video games started tying into feeds, sport stations showed off fantasy stats, and actually players talked about themselves in the 3rd person spouting fantast gibberish.  None of those things will ever happen with HBD.

I too found the site through MLB.com years ago, but only played the simleagues for the first few years I was here.  Maybe Im the single exception, but If I were a commish trying to fill a league, Id reach out to the sim owners who have played a few seasons of that but never tried this.  Long time owners probably wont be game, but people who have played less than 25 season of that and none of this may give it a try.  I would’ve if I had received a sitemail… especially with the first season being discounted. Again, their side may not be growing either, but it would be hard to convince me that 100% of the owners there have tried or thought about trying HBD and decided not to. The plus side is, they already have a basic feel for the site, parks, some engine basics and they wont have to eat any cookies.

Id love to see more advertising, but unless they rebrand themselves into something 'cool', it is unlikely people will flock to the site.  And to Mike's point, if they arent smart enough to search it out they likely wont be good owners anyway.  A warm body just to fill an opening is a detriment to the entire world. 

Advertising should happen… but unless they change the way people view sim baseball, it wont make much of a difference.

Oh… and I loved baseball mogul.
11/24/2014 5:03 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Where are the HBD players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.