Where are the HBD players? Topic

tecwrg - I completely agree with you that a good commissioner makes a HUGE difference in the world and the HBD experience.  I don't agree with posts that point the blame for whatever woes HBD might have on the 100+ folks who are volunteering to do the job.  They are easy to throw stones at. They are not the root cause.

They way HBD is designed now (including WIS hands-off the game approach) means that the commish can make or break a world. That's up to 31 other paying customers being impacted.  I don't care what business you're running, you're not going to get 100+ rock star volunteers without having a lot of sub-par performers.

It takes a very good commissioner for HBD to work like it's supposed to.  IMO, that's a flaw.
11/26/2014 3:54 PM
Tufft's quote:  "It takes a very good commissioner for HBD to work like it's supposed to. IMO, that's a flaw."

That's more along the lines of what I'm getting at, tufft.  Not placing BLAME on the commisioners, but placing RESPONSIBILTY on them.  When you take on the task of commisioner, you inherit the good (if there is any) and bad aspects of the role, and need to consider how you will respond down the road when it gets to be a tougher responsibility.  It's a job (sans pay), and you shouldn't take the job if you don't think you can perform well.  Some perform well initially, but real life gets in the way.  Guys just need to recognize when it's the right time to turn over the reigns to someone else for the good of the world.
Also, reading my previous post from yesterday after I wrote it, it does seem like alot of procedure to have a probation period, etc.  Perhaps a simple owner vote one week after rollover (if still too many openings) to proceed forward as a 24-team (or whatever size) world is all that is needed. In that cirscumstance, a different schedule, playoffs, etc would take over, but that would be part of the vote consideration.  I'm guessing most owners just want to get things going versus waiting two months, so those worlds would proceed as smaller leagues and there would be less overall openings to fill.
11/26/2014 5:53 PM
The "benefit" of being commish is that you get to decide who joins your world.   That and a $5 credit. 

For me, that's enough.  We have quick rolls, I believe because I follow the steps I mentioned on the previous page, and competitive worlds.    We also have good owners.  It takes 32 owners to make a good world and 1 ****** one to f' it up.   By doing my best to avoid that one, I get to play in worlds I like.    The other private world I play in is commished by tecwrg(he's in both of my commish worlds) and he follows pretty much that same procedure.   He's had it a little tougher than me because it was once a public world.   He didn't get to choose the other 31 initially.
11/26/2014 6:07 PM
never seen this many open worlds both private and public. wtf?
12/9/2014 12:23 AM
There are 23 less than last week(280-257).

Also, if you take away the worlds that need 7 or more(I sort of see them as lost causes), there are 59 "legit" openings.    It's bad, don't get me wrong, but the numbers are greatly inflated by the "really bad". 
12/9/2014 8:13 AM
I recently gave up on my first world, Koufax, after 17 seasons because the commissioner bailed and there's been 16+ openings for two months now. Before that it was always a little slow to rollover (4-8 openings, usually), but not bad. I've moved on to a new world and not looking back. It sucks to lose the team I worked hard to build and the fake players I grew attached to, but it is what it is. This is a great game just the way it is to me. I wish there were more random, hidden gems in the draft past the first 8 players or so, like some HOF talent in the 4th round once every 5 seasons or so but otherwise it's nearly the perfect online baseball simulator game, which is what I searched for almost 5 years ago already.
12/9/2014 8:20 PM
I've said a bunch of times, when people scream that worlds should be disbanded, that it's not my business if someone wants to wait for a world to fill for months.   But, if you're sitting in a world with 7+ openings for a month, I'm not sure what you expect to happen.  Worlds fill almost every day.   That world is not one of them.
12/10/2014 8:21 AM
When it's your first world you tend to hang on longer than you should
12/10/2014 7:08 PM
That's certainly your perogativ and I'm sure a lot of owners do the same.   I dumped mine pretty quick, because I got a "feel" for what HBD would become, and started 2 worlds in hopes of avoiding it.    Aaron, 1st public world, is obviously still around but Joey Belle and Mike Greenwell have been gone for quite some time.  Left all of them as 1st place teams.   Just wasn't worth the "other" stuff.
12/10/2014 7:35 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/23/2014 9:29:00 PM (view original):
Even better, the sinofan created a recruitment thread for Negro Leagues on 11/19.   SIX DAYS after the world rolled.   I can't even find one for LEG.

The band leaders for "More advertising" don't even advertise their worlds.    In a free forum. 
A couple of things.

First, you're correct about the timeframe on the classified ad.  However, during that time, I sitemailed dozens of other owners in an effort to fill our open spots.  That effort got me one "maybe."  I always prefer to recruit to owners I know from other worlds before I open it up to all.  That goes back to your comment about commissioners of private worlds getting to choose who joins their world.

Can I do a better job as commissioner?  Absolutely.  But, it's also much more difficult to fill spots now than it was when I took over as commissioner some 18 seasons ago.  Maybe it is time to pass the baton, but in the meantime, I'm still trying to fill for this season the best I can.

12/12/2014 1:30 PM
First, you just kind of got caught in the crossfire because thunderclese was being a dick.   So maybe I was a little rough on you.  Nonetheless, you can start a thread in the classifieds and tell people "No thank you" when they ask to join.   I do it all the time.   Yes, it makes some people mad but such is life.   Can't spend a lot of time worrying about someone on the internet being mad at you.

Second, yes, it is much more difficult to fill spots now than it was 4 years ago.    That's why you have to adapt and not keep doing the same things you did 18 seasons ago.    I forget what page it was but this is a very short thread.   Go back and find out what I said commishes should probably be doing.    It works well enough for me.
12/12/2014 2:03 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/10/2014 7:35:00 PM (view original):
That's certainly your perogativ and I'm sure a lot of owners do the same.   I dumped mine pretty quick, because I got a "feel" for what HBD would become, and started 2 worlds in hopes of avoiding it.    Aaron, 1st public world, is obviously still around but Joey Belle and Mike Greenwell have been gone for quite some time.  Left all of them as 1st place teams.   Just wasn't worth the "other" stuff.
Aaron was second, Ruth was first... probably by minutes. (Remember those halcyon days?) As public worlds go, Ruth and Aaron are good, but like public worlds in MLB, anything goes: trade rape, tanking, horrible contracts, disappearing owners.

Mike, with HBD currently down, I can't check, but I think I have your Aaron franchise.

12/16/2014 2:27 PM
Found this string. I would have NEVER found this if I hadn't seen a recruiting ad from Aaron Gleeman on Twitter. Fantasy baseball will always be number one with me - mainly because I can watch the games and win money - but this is a very interesting diversion when Fantasy isn't around.
2/7/2015 12:42 PM
◂ Prev 123456
Where are the HBD players? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.