North Korea wins Topic

Is there a way to isolate NK even more than they are now? Affect them economically?
12/18/2014 11:24 AM
Also, I read that the movie was straight up bad. Maybe a real terrorist would have forced Americans to watch it.
12/18/2014 11:25 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/18/2014 11:22:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2014 11:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/18/2014 10:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/18/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/18/2014 10:04:00 AM (view original):
Because "do nothing" is usually not a good deterrent against future actions.
A) What action?
B) what would be a good deterent?
A)  Um, future threats?
B)  I've already said that I don't know.  Something more than "do nothing" and less than "thernonuclear war".

A) we face threats all the time. We don't even know how real this threat is.
B) again, you clearly have no idea if do nothing is or isn't the best answer.
A)  It doesn't matter how "real this threat is".  Maybe the threats are just smoke.  POTUS thinks they are.  But they were enough to cause decisions to be made that are resulting in negative financial impact to a number of entities (Sony, and the movie theaters).

B)  Are you advocating "ignore it and hope it doesn't happen again"?

A) it absolutely does matter how real the threat is. And you aren't allowed to state your opinion on this, you aren't an expert.
B) I'm saying that, of the realistic options we have, do nothing* may be the best.

*when I say "do nothing," I mean publicly. Don't make threats, draw "lines in the sand," promise to react, etc. I'm sure, behind the scenes, there are, as always, a ton of things going on.
12/18/2014 11:28 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 11:23:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2014 11:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 11:10:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 12/18/2014 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Blame the movie theaters. It was their call to pull it, not the governments.
Yes, exactly.
Seems to me, when other governments affect commerce in the US, that our government should get involved. 

This is, of course, assuming NK was officially involved.
I blame Sony and the theaters for allowing fear to affect our way of life.

Let's figure out if the NK government was involved, and if they are, figure out what to do from there. I'm not sure there's a answer that doesn't involve violence, and I don't think asking China to "get their dog on a leash" does much either. 
Ugh.

I don't even know how to go about this.   Let's say Sony/theaters said "**** it.  We're going on as planned."    Half a dozen theaters are attacked.   Hundreds dead, thousands injured.

Do you feel good about the decision they made to not allow fear to affect our way of life?
12/18/2014 11:33 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2014 11:33:00 AM (view original):
Yes, exactly.
Seems to me, when other governments affect commerce in the US, that our government should get involved. 

Let's figure out if the NK government was involved, and if they are, figure out what to do from there. I'm not sure there's a answer that doesn't involve violence, and I don't think asking China to "get their dog on a leash" does much either. 
Ugh.

I don't even know how to go about this.   Let's say Sony/theaters said "**** it.  We're going on as planned."    Half a dozen theaters are attacked.   Hundreds dead, thousands injured.

Do you feel good about the decision they made to not allow fear to affect our way of life?
If there's no real threat, as the US government says, if the president says "Go to the movies" then I believe the president. I have faith in our country that they're protecting us.

If we're wrong, then yes, that's terrible. But terrorists want to kill us all the time, they're constantly threatening us. I still leave the house.
12/18/2014 11:39 AM
There's a theater in Texas that's going to show "Team America" for free on Christmas - fantastic.
12/18/2014 11:46 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/18/2014 11:46:00 AM (view original):
There's a theater in Texas that's going to show "Team America" for free on Christmas - fantastic.
That's awesome.
12/18/2014 11:49 AM
Just read an article on how they trace hackers.   Needless to say, my eyes glazed over about halfway thru.   Nonetheless, it sounds like we need Kim Jong Un to say "**** yeah, I did it personally" in order to be 100% sure.
12/18/2014 11:51 AM
Posted by stinenavy on 12/18/2014 12:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/18/2014 11:33:00 AM (view original):
Yes, exactly.

Ugh.

Dumbass post of the year on so many levels. It must suck to live in a perpetual state of fear. I like that you think North Korea has some sort of precision targeting to hit movie theaters, that's funny.

Sony green-lighted a movie that involved killing a country's leader, and someone hacked into their systems and stole movie plans and old emails. They had it coming.
I don't think he is saying that HE is scared. only that sony cannot afford the risk because it would tarnish their brand, and you know the media will crucify them had something happened and they ignored the threats.
12/18/2014 1:03 PM
stinenavy is an idiot with a hard-on for me.    He's almost BL-level.

No, I'm not scared.   I don't think it's a real threat.   I'm not even sure it's from North Korea.   And you're exactly right.    Sony, Cinemax, etc, etc couldn't just say "**** it" because of the risk associated with opening as planned.    It's one thing if the anonymous source says "We're going to kill Rogen, Franco and anyone associated with the making of the movie if it opens" and it's an entirely different thing when they say they going to attack the theaters and surrounding areas.  

But that ********** stinenavy is far too stupid to understand this.   And obviously takes the title of Dumbass Post of the Year with his reply.
12/18/2014 1:19 PM
For ****'s sake, the more I read his post, the more I realize he's some dumbfuck hick from NC.    Take an Adult Ed class, stine.
12/18/2014 1:21 PM
I like how, in a country that was built on freedom of speech and expression, he says "they had it coming" for actually exercising it.
12/18/2014 1:33 PM
Well, yeah, freedom of speech and expression is nice unless you don't like what they're saying and expressing. 
12/18/2014 1:40 PM
It sounds like stine wants the US to be more like a country like, oh, I don't know, maybe North Korea.
12/18/2014 1:46 PM
Seriously, if you've seen the trailers, it's just a silly movie about two buffoon-like, empty-headed Hollywood-types being asked to execute a very difficult task for the CIA.    Needless to say, buffoonery ensues. 

I'd liken it to the Leslie Neilsen movies from the 80s/90s or the even older "Get Smart" series from the 60s.    Their activities aren't to be taken seriously.
12/18/2014 1:46 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...13 Next ▸
North Korea wins Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.