North Korea wins Topic

Well, as I mentioned yesterday, they almost had to pull it(besides the fact that the major theaters said "No, we will not show it").    Even if the threat wasn't real, you might get some crackpot setting off a pressure cooker bomb in one of them or lighting fires at the exits or shooting up the place.   Then Sony/theater takes a public relations hit that isn't going away any time soon.

No, stinenavy, North Korea wasn't going to hit a theater with a nuclear warhead just in case you think that's what I'm saying.   Again. 
12/19/2014 10:07 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/19/2014 9:43:00 AM (view original):
Idea: Sony plans on releasing the film eventually. Gets even MORE buzz, more people see it, makes more money than it would if they released it on Christmas. "Pulling it" is just a way to eventually make more money.
Ah.  The "New Coke" theory.
12/19/2014 10:07 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2014 9:52:00 AM (view original):

If you think it was an advertising ploy, I think you're wrong.  I don't think you're implying that but it could be construed that way.

I don't know that it ever sees the light of day in a public showing.   "Straight to DVD" might be it's fate.    And they'll likely sell billions.   I had little interest in it but, now that I can't see it, I gotta see it. 

Wasn't planning to see it.  Still not planning to see it.
12/19/2014 10:08 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2014 10:07:00 AM (view original):
Well, as I mentioned yesterday, they almost had to pull it(besides the fact that the major theaters said "No, we will not show it").    Even if the threat wasn't real, you might get some crackpot setting off a pressure cooker bomb in one of them or lighting fires at the exits or shooting up the place.   Then Sony/theater takes a public relations hit that isn't going away any time soon.

No, stinenavy, North Korea wasn't going to hit a theater with a nuclear warhead just in case you think that's what I'm saying.   Again. 
My alias! How did you know?
12/19/2014 10:09 AM

I was just making fun of stinenavy.   I didn't know you had a dumb hick alias in NC.   Congrats?

12/19/2014 10:11 AM
Oh I thought you were calling me that. uhhh nevermind then.
12/19/2014 10:13 AM
If Sony's afraid of rogue pressure-cooker/setting fires guy...I dunno, that's kinda silly too, it might make me more annoyed with them. That can happen anywhere, anytime with anyone upset at any business.
12/19/2014 10:13 AM
Just examples even if they're far-fetched.  

I'm sure the execs simply weighed the pros/cons of opening as planned and decided it wasn't worth it.    If anything out of the ordinary happened at just one theater, the media would blast Sony as being greedy corporate bastards with no regard for the safety of the public.   Couple that with the likelihood that some Americans would likely have said "**** it.  I'm afraid Kim Jong Un will attack the theater with a nuclear warhead so I'll just stay home" and there's no real decision to make.  
12/19/2014 10:17 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2014 10:17:00 AM (view original):
Just examples even if they're far-fetched.  

I'm sure the execs simply weighed the pros/cons of opening as planned and decided it wasn't worth it.    If anything out of the ordinary happened at just one theater, the media would blast Sony as being greedy corporate bastards with no regard for the safety of the public.   Couple that with the likelihood that some Americans would likely have said "**** it.  I'm afraid Kim Jong Un will attack the theater with a nuclear warhead so I'll just stay home" and there's no real decision to make.  
No brainer decision from a business standpoint. Sony pictures is an $8 billion company and its not like this specific movie was going to top the charts anyways. Hard pill to swallow but better to cut the losses at $60 million and move onto the next movie release than have to lose way more than $60 million IF something happened. I can only image the type of picketing and protesting that would go on at theaters across the country, where Sony movies are playing, claiming Big Company Greed killed US Citizens.
12/19/2014 10:54 AM
The U.S. government believes that North Korea is behind the leaks that brought Sony Pictures to its knees over "The Interview," a movie satirizing the death of Kim Jong Un.

An FBI statement released Friday morning cites similar attacks against South Korean banks as part of the agency's assertion the group calling itself Guardians of Peace (GOP) was indeed sponsored by the hermit kingdom.

GOP brought down thousands of Sony computers, leaked hundreds of thousands of emails and made terror threats against movie theaters in an effort to keep the studio from releasing the movie.

At one point, the studio had to take its entire network offline, according to the feds.

"The FBI now has enough information to conclude that the North Korean government is responsible for these actions," reads the statement.

Agents determined the malware used to execute the hacks was previously used by North Korean hackers, right down to lines of code, encryption algorithms, data deletion methods and even compromised networks.

IP addresses linked to previous malicious actions by North Korea were also traced to the originators of the Sony attack, the agency said.

The hackers also used tools similar to those employed against Sony in a March cyber attack against South Korean banks and media outlets, investigators found.

"We are deeply concerned about the destructive nature of this attack on a private sector entity and the ordinary citizens who worked there," said the FBI.

"The destructive nature of this attack, coupled with its coercive nature, sets it apart. North Korea's actions were intended to inflict significant harm on a U.S. business and suppress the right of American citizens to express themselves."

The agency vowed to work with international partners to bring those responsible for the attack to justice. Previous reports have suggested the crimes would be referred to an international criminal court.

China immediately called for any evidence the North Koreans were involved to be presented at the Chinese Embassy, in Washington, D.C.

12/19/2014 12:54 PM
Soooo.....with our govt now somewhat certain that the NK govt was behind the hack and the threats, is "do nothing" still an option?
12/19/2014 12:54 PM
Which unfriendly country should I check with to see if I'm allowed to see "The Hobbit" with my son tomorrow?
12/19/2014 1:06 PM

Is Ireland unfriendly?   Seems like the leprechauns could get offended.

12/19/2014 1:08 PM
I'm Irish.  The leprechauns love me.
12/19/2014 1:31 PM
Long time?
12/19/2014 1:33 PM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...13 Next ▸
North Korea wins Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.