Sort of.

If you're in world that rolled in October or a world with more than 6 openings for more than a couple of weeks, what do you think is going to happen to fill your world?

What would you suggest to make that happen?

I'm genuinely curious because I just don't think anything could happen to get those worlds filled.
12/19/2014 9:41 AM
Merging seems to be the current craze. I just went through my first merging a few weeks ago. I wasn't excited about it to begin with, but with hesitancy I gave my nod of approval. Big regret on my part however. If I'm ever in a world that it is suggested in again my vote will be to stick it up the *** of the one who suggested it.

12/19/2014 9:51 AM
I've not been thru one.   What made it a bad experience?
12/19/2014 9:54 AM
None of the worlds I play in have had any issues in filling.
12/19/2014 10:03 AM
Then you really can't answer the questions, can you?    I didn't start this thread to start a dick-measuring contest or to mock the owners in the worlds that aren't filling.   I'm just curious as to what they think could happen, what they hope can happen and how to get there. 

I know, if I were in a world with 7 openings since October, I'd be thinking "This isn't going to fill" and start planning my next move.    Owners waiting in these worlds are waiting patiently. 
12/19/2014 10:10 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2014 9:54:00 AM (view original):
What made it a bad experience is that his team won 100+ 5 seasons in a row pre merger, and now they are barely a .500 club.
They are old and salary is high, but it's the merger. THAT's what caused it.

Interestingly the team with the best record in that world is in his division and just finished up a rebuild. That same team finished 4th in the division last season.

Sure there's no correlation there either and it is strictly a case of "mergers suck".
12/19/2014 10:14 AM
I don't find that to be surprising.   I think mergers solve the immediate problem(worlds aren't playing) but I'm not sure they solve the future problems.   A lot of owners like the result(winning) more than their team.   That changes when other owners in the same situation are added to the mix.    Somebody has to lose when continual 100 win teams clash.
12/19/2014 10:23 AM

I'll add that, while merging seems necessary these days, that I don't think I'd want to be part of one.    Most of us have built our teams based on the talent supply in our worlds.    It is NOT equal across worlds.     Much like my "traveling team" idea, you can get a quick power imbalance by adding outside forces into the mix.    That said, if I wanted to keep my team and I was in a world with double digit openings, merging would seem like the best option.  But, like jibe, I'd probably find myself unhappy with the results if I ended up on the wrong end.

12/19/2014 10:41 AM
Posted by mchales_army on 12/19/2014 10:14:00 AM (view original):
What made it a bad experience is that his team won 100+ 5 seasons in a row pre merger, and now they are barely a .500 club.

Interestingly the team with the best record in that world is in his division and just finished up a rebuild. That same team finished 4th in the division last season.

Sure there's no correlation there either and it is strictly a case of "mergers suck".
So you can speak for me? STFU

To answer mike first of all due to the merger I wasn't able to set my budgets according to what it was the last season in Banks. 

I am also one who enjoys the history of my teams. The player stats are gone and ratings. All history that is tied up with the players is gone. With the teams as well. There is also no HOF and there won't be for many seasons to come. This is a huge part of my enjoyment of the game. The players that I had from pre merger honestly do not even feel like my own.

So hence I rarely check on this team anymore and am making zero effort in day to day of the team.

But really the reason is that my team is old.....
12/19/2014 12:24 PM (edited)
     In  BTP, we used a combination of six tools:  A) it took the strenuous recruiting efforts of several owners, besides the commissioner, B) reaching out to active old owners who weren't running five plus teams (a steadily shrinking pool), C) the classified ad, D) world owner swaps, E) recruiting bonuses  & F) slightly revising the world theme in the ad. 
     it took all 6 tools to fill.  twice we got within one vacancy only to have owners drop out who got tired of waiting.  we started out with four vacancies & ended up eventually replacing 7 or 8 owners. i should have started the ad a week or two earlier than i did this season.  normally i query everyone at the beginning of minor league playoffs on who's leaving, then post the ad once major league playoffs commence. 
12/19/2014 12:37 PM (edited)
Starting with 4 isn't too bad.   It does suck when you get close and someone drops out. 
12/19/2014 12:50 PM
I don't think there really is any easy solution for HBD. But what is tried and true to what does work is polling owners well before the season ends on who will return or not and getting a classified ad up and running by the end of the regular season. Far too many worlds roll over and a week later they are just getting an ad up. I have also read many a coaches chat where almost a week after rollover has occured that the commish will state something like, " I want to give the old owners another 2 or 3 days to reup before I get an ad up". Guess what dude? I and 25 others want to get playing again and you have yet to post a classified.

Also having a firm MWR is a good thing to abide by. For those owners that don't want one they have public worlds that they can play in.

But interest in HBD is waning. It is for me as well. I will be running 2 or 3 teams in the coming year as opposed to the 5 I ran this past year.
12/19/2014 12:57 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/19/2014 12:50:00 PM (view original):
Starting with 4 isn't too bad.   It does suck when you get close and someone drops out. 
HOF which ended up merging with banks was down to 2-3 at one point but people didn't feel like waiting and we ended up losing 10+ owners and merging.
12/19/2014 12:59 PM
Posted by jibe on 12/19/2014 12:57:00 PM (view original):
I don't think there really is any easy solution for HBD. But what is tried and true to what does work is polling owners well before the season ends on who will return or not and getting a classified ad up and running by the end of the regular season. Far too many worlds roll over and a week later they are just getting an ad up. I have also read many a coaches chat where almost a week after rollover has occured that the commish will state something like, " I want to give the old owners another 2 or 3 days to reup before I get an ad up". Guess what dude? I and 25 others want to get playing again and you have yet to post a classified.

Also having a firm MWR is a good thing to abide by. For those owners that don't want one they have public worlds that they can play in.

But interest in HBD is waning. It is for me as well. I will be running 2 or 3 teams in the coming year as opposed to the 5 I ran this past year.
This?

I won't blame commishes for failure but there are few easy steps to follow(and they're not time consuming):

1. treat everyone fairly
2. put the best interests of the world first
3. find out who's staying/leaving sooner rather than later
4. start recruiting early even if you don't know if you have openings
5. remove absentee owners promptly
6. enforce rules evenly(or create rules that the world wants)
7. vet new owners.  Check their record, ask someone you recognize about them in a world they're in, etc, etc

None of this takes a great deal of time.   And you'll find that the commishes of the "good" worlds do every one of these.  And, if you don't have that sort of time, pass it on to someone who does.

12/19/2014 1:00 PM
Posted by jibe on 12/19/2014 12:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mchales_army on 12/19/2014 10:14:00 AM (view original):

So you can speak for me? STFU

To answer mike first of all due to the merger I wasn't able to set my budgets according to what it was the last season in Banks. 

I am also one who enjoys the history of my teams. The player stats are gone and ratings. All history that is tied up with the players is gone. With the teams as well. There is also no HOF and there won't be for many seasons to come. This is a huge part of my enjoyment of the game. The players that I had from pre merger honestly do not even feel like my own.

So hence I rarely check on this team anymore and am making zero effort in day to day of the team.

But really the reason is that my team is old.....
I kinda feel the same way.
12/19/2014 1:01 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.