Player Progression Different in D2 ? Topic

i agree that the growth you are seeing is pretty much what i would expect from a player with moderate WE and low potential.  as a general rule, i would never redshirt someone who does not have high growth potential or sky's the limit potential.  the gains from the redshirt year on low potential guys are not worth it.  if i am planning a red shirt at a position, i would much rather take a slightly less talented player with high potential, especially at levels below D1.  The guy with higher potential will likely become a better player over the long run.
1/26/2015 4:54 PM
Posted by loudawg10 on 1/26/2015 4:54:00 PM (view original):
i agree that the growth you are seeing is pretty much what i would expect from a player with moderate WE and low potential.  as a general rule, i would never redshirt someone who does not have high growth potential or sky's the limit potential.  the gains from the redshirt year on low potential guys are not worth it.  if i am planning a red shirt at a position, i would much rather take a slightly less talented player with high potential, especially at levels below D1.  The guy with higher potential will likely become a better player over the long run.
Yea, I have been coming to the same conclusion. I 'thought' I was following that theory with a 42 WE/2 potential guy. If those ratings are still both considered low then I can adapt and deal with it no problem. The thing that threw the monkey wrench into it is having a guy with 34 WE and same 2 potential out gaining the first guy. There are others that fit into the same category. That's what's causing my confusion 
1/26/2015 5:42 PM
Your "2" potential guys don't have the same exact potential. Potential falls into a number range. Sometimes a "3" potential guy will grow the same as a "2" potential guy.
1/26/2015 7:48 PM
Posted by superv97 on 1/26/2015 7:48:00 PM (view original):
Your "2" potential guys don't have the same exact potential. Potential falls into a number range. Sometimes a "3" potential guy will grow the same as a "2" potential guy.
other than the AC Scout, how can you tell if a guy is a 2 or 3?
1/29/2015 10:04 AM
Posted by starfinder77 on 1/29/2015 10:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by superv97 on 1/26/2015 7:48:00 PM (view original):
other than the AC Scout, how can you tell if a guy is a 2 or 3?

An HC scout will have it as well but the message will be a different

1/29/2015 12:14 PM
Posted by loudawg10 on 1/25/2015 6:44:00 PM (view original):
It's not all based on WE. Potential is more important and you can only learn potential from scouting the player during recruiting. Think of improvement as a pitcher of water. Potential is how big the pitcher is, while WE is how fast the pitcher fills up. if you have a small pitcher, it won't matter how fast the water flows in. Also, redshirts grow at a much slower rate.

Player development is actually one of the most reliable aspects of the game.
That description sounds very familiar.
1/31/2015 7:12 AM
Posted by realist9900 on 1/26/2015 5:42:00 PM (view original):
Yea, I have been coming to the same conclusion. I 'thought' I was following that theory with a 42 WE/2 potential guy. If those ratings are still both considered low then I can adapt and deal with it no problem. The thing that threw the monkey wrench into it is having a guy with 34 WE and same 2 potential out gaining the first guy. There are others that fit into the same category. That's what's causing my confusion 
42 is fine, but I personally try to never sign a 2 potential guy if I can avoid it. If you look at either of my DII teams, there is a total of 1 potential 2 guy on either roster. Kingsville has a DB Fitzgerald that was 2 potential, but I needed the extra money to win a battle on a QB that year. I have 2 STL on Kingsville though to make up for it.
1/31/2015 7:15 AM
Posted by dublinuf on 1/31/2015 7:15:00 AM (view original):
42 is fine, but I personally try to never sign a 2 potential guy if I can avoid it. If you look at either of my DII teams, there is a total of 1 potential 2 guy on either roster. Kingsville has a DB Fitzgerald that was 2 potential, but I needed the extra money to win a battle on a QB that year. I have 2 STL on Kingsville though to make up for it.
Really? I will take a look later but I don't even see many 3s, never mind acquire a bunch of them. I have only seen one 4 in 15 or so seasons.

Me thinks I am doing something wrong 
1/31/2015 9:39 AM
I've played 7 seasons and I have never seen a 4.  I think they're just rare.  If somebody is good at finding them, he isn't talking.
1/31/2015 6:39 PM
Posted by realist9900 on 1/31/2015 9:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dublinuf on 1/31/2015 7:15:00 AM (view original):
Really? I will take a look later but I don't even see many 3s, never mind acquire a bunch of them. I have only seen one 4 in 15 or so seasons.

Me thinks I am doing something wrong 
20+ Seasons and I saw and signed my first stl player last cycle.
1/31/2015 8:36 PM
Posted by greppinfool on 1/31/2015 6:39:00 PM (view original):
I've played 7 seasons and I have never seen a 4.  I think they're just rare.  If somebody is good at finding them, he isn't talking.
I've recruited 2 in successive seasons, but both are the first I've seen in 13 seasons. Both had "the sky's the limit" in the scouting report. One of them is a sophomore TE for me and is developing extremely fast. In the future, I consider them the highest possible priority recruiting wise. 
1/31/2015 9:05 PM (edited)
I have been focusing on WE the past few seasons. I would say out of every ten players Eight are 2s and two are 3s. Should I lower the standards a bit for WE to try and get more 3s? At Div3 and Div2 I think we likely recruit more nationally than Div1? Since I do recruit nationally I don't throw money around on recruit scouting unless they do have a decent WE ....It just costs too much AC scouting a guy 900+ miles away.
2/1/2015 5:45 PM
Posted by realist9900 on 2/1/2015 5:45:00 PM (view original):
I have been focusing on WE the past few seasons. I would say out of every ten players Eight are 2s and two are 3s. Should I lower the standards a bit for WE to try and get more 3s? At Div3 and Div2 I think we likely recruit more nationally than Div1? Since I do recruit nationally I don't throw money around on recruit scouting unless they do have a decent WE ....It just costs too much AC scouting a guy 900+ miles away.
I am no expert by any stretch, but I have found that WE gets gradually less important at higher levels, and FIQ gets gradually more important.  Instead of lowering your standards, hold out more for 3's.  If you travel at all, do so for potential.  The most important thing an AC scout will tell you is how much upside a recruit has.  One of the sticky threads on this board has a complete guide to messages that your AC scout will give you.  Out of ten players, nine or ten should have "good" potential (3) and one or none should be "average" (2). I think you are accepting too many average players.

Edit:  grammar error.
2/1/2015 8:22 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 12
Player Progression Different in D2 ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.