ODL 51 commentary and such Topic

I pretty much agree with you robocoach. I did think about Brand and ultimately didn't take him because I like to take a SF who can shoot 3's, create a little flexibility when I'm choosing my guards.  But otherwise he is great.  Once you get to around 20, there's 10-15 guys around the same level you can make a case for.
1/29/2015 9:10 AM
that is true....there has been a lot of change in the ODL draft over the seasons, but the current pronounced shift is towards all the high usage, high efg guys getting snapped up early. Used to be it was ALL Creb Creb Creb and you could lay off on that offensive guy until past the 1st round.

Also everybody is better at managing their money so it makes it much harder to win. So the rest of you please stop doing that. Seriously, those bargain $5 million 2000 minute guys start going end of the 3rd now.

And the superstar players who are statistically awful have all disappeared out of the draft now. Can't mention names but I might make a list end of draft.
1/29/2015 9:45 AM
I'm interested in trading up and getting another second round pick, sm me.
1/29/2015 11:31 AM
My Front Court does your Front Court's Mamas............
1/30/2015 9:38 PM
does them how?

unless you mean, "does" your mamas, signifying a connotation, otherwise, you beg the question. good god, too much teaching in china. i'm losing my "normality"
1/31/2015 1:43 AM
Posted by scudmissle on 1/31/2015 1:43:00 AM (view original):
does them how?

unless you mean, "does" your mamas, signifying a connotation, otherwise, you beg the question. good god, too much teaching in china. i'm losing my "normality"
How does begging the question apply? Logical fallacy or common usage? How many English speakers do you communicate with on a daily basis?
1/31/2015 2:08 AM
begging the question has nothing to do with logical fallacy (which itself is a contradiction in terms -oxymoron), nor does it have to do with common usage - denotation... rather, "does" lends itself to slang, or, perhaps even to jargon if the topic was about f'king.

i work in a major university. i have 36 western colleagues and 111 american students earning their master's degrees here. so, 147 english speakers, up, if we meet daily.
1/31/2015 2:16 AM
I was honestly interested, scud. My best friend is a philosophy professor. I know when I'm in over my head.
1/31/2015 2:34 AM
Also, I know several people who have taught in Asia. Most of them say that they're delighted to speak with someone who's familiar with Western pop culture, American euphemisms, etc. Sounds like you're doing well for yourself. Good for you.

What will your Super Bowl Sunday be like? Will you be watching it live at a crazy hour? Also, Seahawks by 5.
1/31/2015 2:49 AM
I am tempted to add a Kick-*** 2 reference as to how they do them..........
1/31/2015 7:02 AM
yeah, up... most western teachers, upon their arrivals into china often find themselves in places where there are few english speakers, not to mention few western amenities like sit-down toilets or knife & fork. and not knowing how to speak chinese, life is often daunting. no doubt. takes a thick skin to get through the first year or two. i've been here for 13 years, so, language is not a problem for me nor is securing china's top teaching gigs. i actually make more money now than i did teaching at univ of florida... and without the politics and pressures to publish.

it's also fun living inside an economic explosion, except that prices are starting to rise because of the birth of the middle class. air quality sucks, as does every single car driver in china, however, the quality of life is exceptional.

will be watching the super bowl on tape delay. nobody will wake up here at 5 am to high-tail it to the local bar/pub by 6 am. lots of ways to see live sporting events from around the world on tv or the internet here. there is virtually no sports world in china unless you get a bang out of ping-pong, badmitton, or women's weight lifting (good god). 

but if you're into high paying jobs, amazing food, women and cultural events... 24 hour nightlife, superb shopping and ancient history... not a bad place to be.

1/31/2015 8:13 AM (edited)
Can you seriously not get Premier League games there? Because even in West Shithole Texas (Official Title)you can get Premier League games.

And Women's Weightlifting could be an acquired taste.
1/31/2015 8:34 AM
Posted by scudmissle on 1/31/2015 2:16:00 AM (view original):
begging the question has nothing to do with logical fallacy (which itself is a contradiction in terms -oxymoron), nor does it have to do with common usage - denotation... rather, "does" lends itself to slang, or, perhaps even to jargon if the topic was about f'king.

i work in a major university. i have 36 western colleagues and 111 american students earning their master's degrees here. so, 147 english speakers, up, if we meet daily.
'begging the question' = 'petitio principii' is a logical fallacy (i.e. a form of argument the uses the conclusion as one of its premises)

{I had to take two symbolic logic courses in college, pity me}
1/31/2015 10:44 AM
ah, you're referring to a logic class, built around the notion that "mathematics" (formulaic construction and deconstruction of claims, premises and conclusions), not language usage, determines outcome, thus reasoning, in which case, you are correct about "begging the question". however, i am referring to something much simpler like, "that dude is so f'kd up man, i can't believe it!" the natural response from a listener would be, "how so?" that is begging the question... asking for missing information. with logic, begging the question is centered around the listener being guided, or persuaded, into forming his own conclusion based upon information that is missing... hence, a logical fallacy. 

anyway, boring stuff.

yeah, soccer is popular here and the premier league is at the pinnacle of popularity. strange to see chinese wearing "Hoodies" with photos of rooney, renaldo and messi on them, or rooting for chelshea, man u, liverpool, etc. i've even seen panties sold in stores with Queen's Park Rangers logos on them. haha. 

and that's the thing about china now... this conflict between the government (wanting all things to stay chinese) and the chinese (wanting all things western). wealth creates new societies (an unstoppable force) but headbutts against beijing (an unmovable object). like the (mass murderer) mao ze dong once said, "may you live in interesting times."
1/31/2015 1:45 PM
meanwhile I just picked up two dudes who were picked 25-26 in the last ODL draft - am I missing something? why did they fall so quickly?
1/31/2015 3:16 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
ODL 51 commentary and such Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.