Posted by jc1796 on 1/30/2015 7:54:00 PM (view original):
I coach ND under another user name in another world, and there is NO WAY that I would collude with another coach in the B1G.  It's way too competitive and if I stuck to Indiana and surrendered Michigan I would lose!

However - I see nothing wrong in the lower divisions trying to avoid battles within the conference.  In D3 and D2, if a conference mate is on a guy that I like and there is another guy I like just about as well with a different conference coach on him, I would battle the coach that's not in my conference.  I want my conference to be strong and send a bunch of teams to the playoffs so I can get as much recruiting money as possible.
Avoiding conference mates is fine, as long as it is your individual choice.  If there is any "agreement" among coaches in a conference to not battle, then that is collusion and is inappropriate.  Each coach needs to make up their own mind regarding how they wish to treat their own conference mates.

As for me.....everyone is fair game.
1/31/2015 1:03 PM
Posted by johnnyf on 1/31/2015 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by guano92 on 1/31/2015 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnnyf on 1/31/2015 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slid64er on 1/31/2015 12:03:00 PM (view original):
johnnyf - Your lack of understanding of some basic recruiting tenets is probably a major cause of your recruiting woes.
If you can't actually make an argument, I feel no need to respond to you if all you're going to do is take some uninformed shot at me. Especially when I'm not the only one holding this opinion. 
For a while I was thinking you're an alias for a more experienced owner, but then you mentioned your "13th ranked recruiting class" (since edited out). That must refer to the email you receive when recruiting ends, which any veteran coach quickly learns to ignore.
So instead of a troll alias, you're one of those trolls with 1.5 years of D1 under his belt who knows everything.

Is Katzphang another guy with little experience? If this is the new tact, to try and make me the issue instead of discussing the point at hand, this thread is boring. It's hilarious that literally no one has responded to Katzphang88 at all who's agreed with me and instead, all you guys have left is to call me a troll, stubborn, uninformed, etc. If Katz and I are wrong, then we're wrong but since no one will respond to him then this isn't about whether collusion is effective or not and is just people trying to join a lynch mob. But feel free to keep calling me names, ignoring Katzphang's posts and trying to insult me instead of addressing the issue. It makes me think that I've hit a nerve with some people by pointing out something that people don't want pointed out. 
I just did go back and read the rest of the thread...because I certainly respect katz (and I think he knows it) kiss, kiss....

After reading the rest of the posts, I think that folks HAVE responded to katz' point(s).  I think the point is very simple.  ANY "collusion" is helpful to those who collude and is bad for those who are not part of the agreement.  It does not matter whether the impact is small or large, it still exists.  It will be larger/smaller depending on which schools are impacted or are part of the agreement.
1/31/2015 1:16 PM
Johnny, I do understand your argument and where you're coming from, but I believe it to be flawed. You argued that the advantage isn't significant, but isn't the whole point that there is an advantage at all? Collusive activity is cheating because it provides an unfair competitive advantage, whether that means it helps a coach sign 20 recruits or 1. Cheating is cheating is cheating

EDIT: Once more, I've been beat. Thanks Harris lol
1/31/2015 1:22 PM
I agree with both of you Harris and Caesari on this point: no matter how minimal the effect, collusion is still cheating and let me be clear that I'm not advocating that what I consider insignificant collusion should be allowed or condoned. I can't speak for Katz(and I don't think anyone has really responded to him, just me) on that last sentence so that is just my opinion. As I said posts ago: if you rob a bank and take 2 cents, you're still guilty of bank robbery.

My point is that there's no apparent motive for two teams to try to divvy up recruits(or should be no apparent motive to the teams involved) because you're not doing anything to improve your chances of landing the recruit. You might knock off one team from a recruit you're after, but as I said before: at best you're going from fighting 3-4 teams for a prospect to fighting 2-3 teams for that prospect. So, you're still going to have to shell out the cash for the prospect you colluded over. Why bother taking the risk for being caught colluding? Yes, you might get a slight advantage from having one team not recruit a guy you want, but you're just not helping yourself out imo. 
1/31/2015 1:55 PM (edited)
Posted by johnnyf on 1/31/2015 8:38:00 AM (view original):
Dublinuf, I'm not going to quote your post or go through it line by line, because I don't have to. Let me start with your hypothetical: the Alabama-Florida line(for purposes of argument, lets say Pensacola Florida). Within 360 miles, you have-and I'm just counting major programs here: FSU, Florida, UGA, Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, Ole, LSU and Arkansas. Within 500 miles, you add in Tennessee, South Carolina, Clemson, Baylor, Texas A&M, maybe Texas and UNC. 

The problem with your Syriana type scenario is the same fallacy everyone who agrees is still making: that two teams colluding could keep competition to a minimum. While FSU and Bama might agree to divide up some guys in the panhandle, no one's made that agreement with the dozen or so other schools(human controlled schools) in that geographic area that are looking for similar prospects. Please explain why those schools have decided that they're not going to recruit the players that FSU and Bama decided to collude on? The whole "collusion gives a significant advantage" argument rests on the teams colluding not having to fight that hard to get those players that they've divvied up. 

And you(and the others) also are making another fallacy: that teams focus their recruiting in their 360. I had recruits from Hawaii, Arizona, Wisconsin, Indiana, Missouri and Pennsylvania in my last recruiting class. Pulling up the classes of two of my divisional opponents also: Georgia(Minnesota, West Virginia, Maryland, PA and Texas) and Tennessee(illinois, Texas, Florida, Arkansas, Mississippi, Pennsylvania and Michigan). So its just not only me. And if teams, even big teams, are going out of their 360 regularly then two of the premises for "why teams would want to collude" are broken. Why would FSU waste the time and effort colluding over some players near them if they're going to Texas, the Northeast and the west coast for recruits along with their 360? And before you say "well, they want the top players around them" let me mention the second broken premise: that teams wouldn't face much competition for a colluded player. Instead of now discussing which teams in their 360 the colluders might have to still fight, we're talking nationwide(or at least teams within 1000 miles). And any collusion would be truly pointless. 

Sorry, you still haven't made an argument for why collusion gives a significant advantage. 
First off, let's start with the fact that you are just incorrect. Every school isn't active in every world. I gave you a scenario of who was, so in my scenario, Ole Miss, Miss. St.. and Arkansas were SIMs. Georgia and Auburn were not. So basically, you are now trolling. You ask for a specific scenario, so I design one, then you ignore it.

In any case, there is nothing on that border that is not within 180 miles of Alabama or Florida St, which is a huge difference to 360.

With your belief that people are going all over the country to compete with Elites for recruits, I am left with two options.

A) You haven't learned how to recruit yet.
B) You are just misleading people and trolling.

Show me a world, any world, where FSU goes to the Northeast and Texas and battles for recruits. That world doesn't exist. There is a big difference between competing with SIMs at great distance for OK players and battling schools at a distance. For instance, you reference Georgia, the kid from Minnesota is a SIM recruit. West Viriginia is within 360 of Athens. You mention Tennessee. Only 6 of their recruits are outside their 360 on a roster of 50. And there is no indication they battled for any of them. There is a difference between signing a player from Texas and battling Texas for a player from Texas, after all.

In your world, Camp, Florida St has six players not inside its 360, two of those are SIMs from Calif, and one is a second kicker, that isn't very good. Alabama, who has won four titles in the last 8 years and is ranked No. 1 has 0 players from states other than Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Florida or North Carolina. 0. There is a good chance they have no players outside 360 miles.

So, this fantasy you have about good players romping all over the country and battling for players is fiction. Good players don't do that at DIA. They may pick a spot every once and a while, but it is not a valid recruiting strategy to do nothing but that.

So, whether troll on neophyte, I am checking out. Enjoy learning it on your own. No sense listening to me. After all, what do I know about Division I recruiting, anyway. I am just coaching my lowly DII schools and one DIAA currently.
1/31/2015 3:28 PM
Posted by johnnyf on 1/31/2015 1:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by guano92 on 1/31/2015 12:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by johnnyf on 1/31/2015 12:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slid64er on 1/31/2015 12:03:00 PM (view original):
johnnyf - Your lack of understanding of some basic recruiting tenets is probably a major cause of your recruiting woes.
If you can't actually make an argument, I feel no need to respond to you if all you're going to do is take some uninformed shot at me. Especially when I'm not the only one holding this opinion. 
For a while I was thinking you're an alias for a more experienced owner, but then you mentioned your "13th ranked recruiting class" (since edited out). That must refer to the email you receive when recruiting ends, which any veteran coach quickly learns to ignore.
So instead of a troll alias, you're one of those trolls with 1.5 years of D1 under his belt who knows everything.

Is Katzphang another guy with little experience? If this is the new tact, to try and make me the issue instead of discussing the point at hand, this thread is boring. It's hilarious that literally no one has responded to Katzphang88 at all who's agreed with me and instead, all you guys have left is to call me a troll, stubborn, uninformed, etc. If Katz and I are wrong, then we're wrong but since no one will respond to him then this isn't about whether collusion is effective or not and is just people trying to join a lynch mob. But feel free to keep calling me names, ignoring Katzphang's posts and trying to insult me instead of addressing the issue. It makes me think that I've hit a nerve with some people by pointing out something that people don't want pointed out. 
I think katz is a good coach. Not sure if he has any DIA titles or not. I am sure that slid64er who told you that you have basic fallacies to understand about recruiting is more knowledgeable than katz about this game, though, and you dismissed him offhand.

I have just seven titles at DIA at 5 different schools in four different worlds. All before katz played his first game of this in 2010, I believe. I think katz is wrong on this one, but no one is right every time. slid64er has significantly more than that.

You, on the other hand, are wrong and not willing to understand. That's why you will spend a great more time losing at this game, than winning until you start to grow.

1/31/2015 3:45 PM
The rest of your posts Dub is really just lashing out and name calling, but to answer three points:
First point: If you think I'm wrong and not willing to understand, a troll etc, then so is Katz(to varying degrees). But you've only responded to me which is just absurd. So, please include Katz in your ridiculous "you're trolling and blah blah blah" or you're just attempting to be a bully instead of staying on point.   

Second point: Just because some of the schools I brought up were Sims doesn't make me a troll. Or wrong. That's still multiple human run teams nearby that would be interested in recruits. If this is the best retort you could muster, then I don't see the point in continuing this with you. Especially if you're just going to name call. 

Third point: You said "show me a world, any world where FSU goes to Texas and the Northeast to battle for recruits. That world doesn't exist." Well....
Florida State in Camp recent recruits from:
Fresno, CA
Watsonville, CA
Cicero, NY
San Antonio, TX
Oakland, Maine
Austin, MN

So, you're wrong. Hey, lets do another Southeastern region power team. Miami, with recent recruits from...
Lafayette, Indiana
Makawao, Hawaii
Miliani, Hawaii
Portland, Maine
Nashua, NH
Mena, Arkansas
Pikesville, KY
Kankakee, IL
Honolulu, Hawaii

How about a pac-12 team? Southern Cal
Pinson, Alabama
Coral Springs, FL
Nashville, TN
Wyndmoor, PA
Concord, Mass. 

And I can't even tell you where they fought for recruits and lost. So there you go. Teams won't just stay in their local area when recruiting. Which means that no one can hold off teams from recruits, even if they collude with other local teams. Which destroys your theory imo. 
1/31/2015 4:38 PM (edited)
Posted by johnnyf on 1/31/2015 4:38:00 PM (view original):
The rest of your posts Dub is really just lashing out and name calling, but to answer three points:
First point: If you think I'm wrong and not willing to understand, a troll etc, then so is Katz(to varying degrees). But you've only responded to me which is just absurd. So, please include Katz in your ridiculous "you're trolling and blah blah blah" or you're just attempting to be a bully instead of staying on point.   

Second point: Just because some of the schools I brought up were Sims doesn't make me a troll. Or wrong. That's still multiple human run teams nearby that would be interested in recruits. If this is the best retort you could muster, then I don't see the point in continuing this with you. Especially if you're just going to name call. 

Third point: You said "show me a world, any world where FSU goes to Texas and the Northeast to battle for recruits. That world doesn't exist." Well....
Fresno, CA
Watsonville, CA
Cicero, NY
San Antonio, TX
Oakland, Maine
Austin, MN

So, you're wrong. Hey, lets do another Southeastern region power team. Miami, with recent recruits from...
Lafayette, Indiana
Makawao, Hawaii
Miliani, Hawaii
Portland, Maine
Nashua, NH
Mena, Arkansas
Pikesville, KY
Kankakee, IL
Honolulu, Hawaii

Pinson, Alabama
Coral Springs, FL
Nashville, TN
Wyndmoor, PA
Concord, Mass. 

And I can't even tell you where they fought for recruits and lost. So there you go. Teams won't just stay in their local area when recruiting. Which means that no one can hold off teams from recruits, even if they collude with other local teams. Which destroys your theory imo. 
5-10 players outside a teams 360 doesn't mean they are recruiting all over the country. You'd be a fool not to focus 100% of your recruits in your general area, whether you are an elite or not. In almost all cases, the long distance guys are Plan B when team's lose a battle. If FSU, Bama, UF, etc. go into Pennsylvania for a top recruit, they're not going to win over PSU/OSU.
1/31/2015 4:50 PM

Fresno, CA
Watsonville, CA
Cicero, NY
San Antonio, TX
Oakland, Maine
Austin, MN

Lafayette, Indiana
Makawao, Hawaii
Miliani, Hawaii
Portland, Maine
Nashua, NH
Mena, Arkansas
Pikesville, KY
Kankakee, IL
Honolulu, Hawaii

Pinson, Alabama
Coral Springs, FL
Nashville, TN
Wyndmoor, PA
Concord, Mass. 

How many of those recruits are sim recruited or kickers and punters? None of those should count as valid out of area recruits.
1/31/2015 5:12 PM

Fresno, CA
Watsonville, CA
Cicero, NY
San Antonio, TX
Oakland, Maine
Austin, MN

Lafayette, Indiana
Makawao, Hawaii
Miliani, Hawaii
Portland, Maine
Nashua, NH
Mena, Arkansas
Pikesville, KY
Kankakee, IL
Honolulu, Hawaii

Pinson, Alabama
Coral Springs, FL
Nashville, TN
Wyndmoor, PA
Concord, Mass. 

This is enough to show you don't know what you are talking about. You do not have a clue of what you are even looking at.

Florida State does not have two recruits from California. They have two SIM walk ons. SIM walk ons are not available to sign by anyone else at any level. That's basic DIII recruiting, not DIA.

As I said in my other post, the other four players Florida State has represent one kicker (who cares) and three players that aren't as good as the other players on his team. I would add, he is not winning at an Elite level, either. Saying someone signs long distance recruits that he didn't have to battle over because they aren't very good is the same as signing stud players in other Elites back yard in long battles with them. I said show me a world that they go to the Northeast to BATTLE for recruits. Not to get leftovers.

I understand that you want to pretend people saying you don't understand the game is name calling. It isn't. You don't understand the math. You don't understand the basics like the one above. You are arguing things based on lack of knowledge of the recruiting process. You are just wrong. Telling me that I am calling you names and that we haven't shown you that you are wrong doesn't make it true. If you can't understand the math and the arguments presented to you, it is not the fault of the math.

1/31/2015 6:31 PM (edited)
Posted by chetty1963 on 1/31/2015 4:50:00 PM (view original):

Fresno, CA
Watsonville, CA
Cicero, NY
San Antonio, TX
Oakland, Maine
Austin, MN

Lafayette, Indiana
Makawao, Hawaii
Miliani, Hawaii
Portland, Maine
Nashua, NH
Mena, Arkansas
Pikesville, KY
Kankakee, IL
Honolulu, Hawaii

Pinson, Alabama
Coral Springs, FL
Nashville, TN
Wyndmoor, PA
Concord, Mass. 

5-10 players outside a teams 360 doesn't mean they are recruiting all over the country. You'd be a fool not to focus 100% of your recruits in your general area, whether you are an elite or not. In almost all cases, the long distance guys are Plan B when team's lose a battle. If FSU, Bama, UF, etc. go into Pennsylvania for a top recruit, they're not going to win over PSU/OSU.
*facepalm* thats my point. Teams look all over the country. Whether its plan A or plan Z, they're recruiting across the country. So, you can't just count on the colluded upon recruits to stay in your "stable." 
1/31/2015 6:22 PM
Posted by awags on 1/31/2015 5:12:00 PM (view original):

Fresno, CA
Watsonville, CA
Cicero, NY
San Antonio, TX
Oakland, Maine
Austin, MN

Lafayette, Indiana
Makawao, Hawaii
Miliani, Hawaii
Portland, Maine
Nashua, NH
Mena, Arkansas
Pikesville, KY
Kankakee, IL
Honolulu, Hawaii

Pinson, Alabama
Coral Springs, FL
Nashville, TN
Wyndmoor, PA
Concord, Mass. 

How many of those recruits are sim recruited or kickers and punters? None of those should count as valid out of area recruits.
1 was a kicker I believe for FSU or Miami. 
1/31/2015 6:36 PM
Posted by dublinuf on 1/31/2015 6:31:00 PM (view original):

Fresno, CA
Watsonville, CA
Cicero, NY
San Antonio, TX
Oakland, Maine
Austin, MN

Lafayette, Indiana
Makawao, Hawaii
Miliani, Hawaii
Portland, Maine
Nashua, NH
Mena, Arkansas
Pikesville, KY
Kankakee, IL
Honolulu, Hawaii

Pinson, Alabama
Coral Springs, FL
Nashville, TN
Wyndmoor, PA
Concord, Mass. 

This is enough to show you don't know what you are talking about. You do not have a clue of what you are even looking at.

Florida State does not have two recruits from California. They have two SIM walk ons. SIM walk ons are not available to sign by anyone else at any level. That's basic DIII recruiting, not DIA.

As I said in my other post, the other four players Florida State has represent one kicker (who cares) and three players that aren't as good as the other players on his team. I would add, he is not winning at an Elite level, either. Saying someone signs long distance recruits that he didn't have to battle over because they aren't very good is the same as signing stud players in other Elites back yard in long battles with them. I said show me a world that they go to the Northeast to BATTLE for recruits. Not to get leftovers.

I understand that you want to pretend people saying you don't understand the game is name calling. It isn't. You don't understand the math. You don't understand the basics like the one above. You are arguing things based on lack of knowledge of the recruiting process. You are just wrong. Telling me that I am calling you names and that we haven't shown you that you are wrong doesn't make it true. If you can't understand the math and the arguments presented to you, it is not the fault of the math.

*rollseyes* ok, calling me a troll isn't name calling, I got it. 

And as for FSU, one of those players has his 2nd highest total rating among DL, the LB has the highest total rating among his LBs, the DB is tied for fourth highest among his DBs(as a sophomore). These aren't leftovers no matter how you want to slice it. And you're still wrong. You just keep trying to move the goalposts when I prove you're wrong about a point. Its tiresome, especially when you just constantly lash out at me.  

Oh well, this would have been an interesting topic to actually discuss with someone with as much experience as you. Instead you were like most of the people on this board: a brat who pitches a fit when someone doesn't suck up to them or agree with them. Ive explained my case and your response to just act like a brat and declare me wrong sans any real proof. You aren't worth my time anymore. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And guess what: it doesn't matter who is right or wrong. But you're obsessed with adulation. 
1/31/2015 6:52 PM (edited)
*facepalm* plan Z is a player on the otherside of the country on a sim that isn't that good. It isn't a player 2000 miles away considering only Alabama and 70 miles from Bama's campus.

No one has ever said, "You know, I am losing my battles locally, as a backup plan, I think I should battle Elite at great distance to me and no distance to them."

Assuming Alabama moved a SIM off, they have five Campus Visits on the guy. At more than 1500 miles away, that would cost you $11K to pull even if you are an Elite with the same record as Alabama. If you had 11K to spend, why would you set fire to it trying to battle Alabama at distance?

1/31/2015 6:52 PM
No one cares what anyone's "Total Rating" is. It has very little to do with who are the good players. He is the only DL on the guy's team that has neither Strength nor Tackling at 90 and has a Tech 12 below the team average.

I said you were either a troll or you had no clue what you were talking about. Telling us all that anyone could have signed the walk ons that FSU got when they left scholarships open told me you just don't know what you are talking about. Giving me the total rating as a defense as how good a player is, again tells me that.

1/31/2015 6:59 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.