High PER, LP, DEF; Mediocre Athlete Topic

I'm looking at a D2 guard who projects to have mid 90's DEF, 60 PER and 40 LP. Unfortunately, he's only like 60 ATH 40 SPD. Can this kid be an effective defender and respectable scorer ( like 7 or 8 PPG shooting near 50% from the field with -2 three point setting) as a poor athlete? We run motion/ press, and I'm delusional enough to want to compete for a national championship in the next couple years.

Thanks, gentlemen.

1/30/2015 7:12 PM
I'd play him at the three, SF and recruit him.
1/30/2015 7:16 PM
That's not a starter on a NC caliber team in my opinion.
1/30/2015 7:59 PM
Yeah, don't feel great about him. Defensively, how would he be at the 3 with excellent D but poor ATH & SPD
1/30/2015 8:26 PM
Wooden SCIAC coaches have collectively decided to refrain from further commentary until you rejoin the conference. :)

Is he high/high in either per/lp?
1/30/2015 8:52 PM
Heh. Maybe I'll have to come back, then.

Uncertain. Just noticed him and haven't sent out a scout.
1/30/2015 10:06 PM
I probably wouldn't take him on your team unless he was high/high in at least one, if not both, of the scoring skills but only if you feel like you'll really need a scorer in two seasons. He'd also have to have good work ethic. But even then I think you'd be better off finding a faster forward that can contribute on the boards and maybe pass and handle the ball better. 
1/30/2015 11:13 PM
Just a rough cycle. Only 3 schollies and a ghost conference. Plus d1 poaching me on signing day, so I've had to scrape a little bit.
1/31/2015 12:54 AM
Posted by ab90 on 1/30/2015 8:26:00 PM (view original):
Yeah, don't feel great about him. Defensively, how would he be at the 3 with excellent D but poor ATH & SPD
OK. 60 Ath/90 DEF is oging to work against the LP scorers......he'll struggle a little aginst the 70+ Speed 70+ Perimeter shooters but you don't see many of them at the 3.
1/31/2015 8:08 AM
Yeah. Grab him, make him be a situational 3, starting against lp 3 or poor scoring 3, bench him when you face fast shooters.
1/31/2015 8:35 AM
There just isn't enough information here for me. This guy is somewhat intriguing but without knowing his ball handling or passing I can't make a decision. I often see this guy during recruiting and pass over him because one of the two are in the teens and not going anywhere. Since the guy is slow (a negative) his other attributes would have to be positives or very strong positives like his defense. I would want his bh and pa to project into the 60s at least

Oh, and 60 ath is not poor for DII. it certainly isn't elite but it's not weak
1/31/2015 9:52 AM (edited)
Nah, he wasn't a talented guard, either. 45-50 BH and passing. Ultimately signed another guy.

But it does make me wonder how effective DEF is when the guy is unremarkable athletically
1/31/2015 2:09 PM
I absolutely would have signed him and turned him into a small forward.

As Milwood said above, 60 Ath is not "poor" for D2 by any means.
1/31/2015 4:32 PM (edited)
I suppose maybe I should have. Perhaps he will go off into the ether that is non-HD and have a successful career in a game engine of another dimension.

I do, though, already have a PG with zero athleticism, so I feel like I need to be overly athletic to compensate for recruiting such a scrub one night while drunk.
1/31/2015 6:22 PM
Maybe I don't look at ath enough for a point guard. I suppose I value it more in other positions. So would this guy not be acceptable because of his ath. What do you need for a pg

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=2892964
1/31/2015 6:51 PM
12 Next ▸
High PER, LP, DEF; Mediocre Athlete Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.