Master Debater Topic

Live leagues are hard to fill these days. The last thing that is needed is someone making uneducated comments and being critical of an idea for a live league. So this little attempt at comedy is a good spirited answer to a mean spirited post. 
1/31/2015 6:51 PM
posted on the thread for the Swan Song League by dahsdebater:

Look at the player pool dude - the reason I didn't sign up is because the draft is going to be too topheavy in the first round.  There are only a tiny handful of even decent seasons.  I don't think it would be possible to go much over the cap without drafting an absurd number of PA/IP.
1/31/2015 6:52 PM
The Great Debate

Patrons are still strolling into the auditorium. There is great anticipation in the crowd. Tonight they will be witness to a debate between dahsdebater and dahsdebater. Some have said that he is doing this solo debate so he is assured of victory. Others are here waiting to see if his massive brain explodes. 

This is the moment we have been waiting for. The Master Debater is climbing the steps of the stage. He is taking a left turn to the podium. He faces the crowd and shakes hands with himself. The crowd is silent.

dahsdebater: Good Evening ladies and gentlemen.

dahsdebater:Good Evening all

dahsdebater:As you know apples are not oranges

dahsdebater:of course not oranges are orange and apples can be many colors

dahsdebater:yet they both are edible

dahsdebater:you got me there. Brillant!

dahsdebater:you are quite brillant yourself.

dahsdebater:oh thanks. Would you like to have dinner

dahsdebater:Yes someplace quiet where we can be alone

dahsdebater:How about my place?

dahsdebater:perfect!

dahsdebater:I will pick up some wine if you bring the kleenex

dahsdebater:sounds good. let's go!
1/31/2015 7:03 PM
Holy sh!t that's funny
1/31/2015 7:20 PM
...and yeah, if someone is trying to fill a league have the decency to not be critical of it.  Either join, or stfu and keep movin
1/31/2015 7:22 PM
I don't mind constructive criticism of a new concept. If it's something I've created, chances are it can be improved upon. But posts along the lines of "this concept sucks," "this won't be any fun," "teams can't be compeitive" etc. are not constructive. If you have a better idea for a league, post it and see whether it fills. If you have a suggestion to improve it, fine. Otherwise, what's the point of criticising someone else's idea? If you don't think it's a good idea, don't join. Problem solved.

Well done szcz.
1/31/2015 8:33 PM
I was responding to verynice's concerns about the salary cap.  If anything, I thought it might make him more likely to join.  But it's good to know what an ******* you are.  Rest assured, I'll never bother looking in your league threads in the future.
1/31/2015 9:45 PM
You can call things good spirited, but it doesn't make it true.
1/31/2015 9:46 PM
And by the way, I'm not sure what you mean by "uneducated comments."  I spent about 45 minutes looking at the player pool because I wanted to support your league.  Not sure what you consider uneducated.  You said you looked at the top 10 at each position.  As long as you want to make this an actual conversation, rather than what it was intended to be - a response to verynice's question, which nobody else (for example, the league founder) was bothering to answer - let's take a look at the player pool.  There are exactly 12 guys available with defensive ratings at SS, no D-, with a salary above $3 million, 5 over $4 million, 1 over $5 million.  In fact, there are only a total of 10 hitters over $5 million, and only 2 over $6.  So yeah, you could go over the cap.  But you'd have to draft way too many PA and IP for practical purposes, which is what I said in the first place.  I'm pretty comfortable standing by that.
1/31/2015 10:56 PM
way to completely and utterly miss the point....whether or not your criticisms are reasonable is not at issue here, it's the way you presented it. 

a simple "good idea for a theme, but could you maybe lower the cap to 80 million? I think at 100 million many owners will have trouble reaching the cap" would have accomplished exactly the same thing without ruffling anyone's feathers or running off potential owners.

1/31/2015 11:53 PM
Again, everything in this thread is COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that I was responding directly to verynice's request that the salary cap be removed.  So to say what you suggested would have been entirely counterproductive.

Talk about completely and utterly missing the point.

2/1/2015 2:30 AM
again. a simple "I don't think you'll have much of an issue with that salary cap given the player pool" would have dealt with his point, and you could have left out the part about why you didn't sign up for the league. 

not sure why I'm bothering since you appear prepared to go down with the ship on this one. even BOFA wouldn't be able to convince you.
2/1/2015 10:26 AM
Talking about new concepts, deuce is running an open $80M live career league that I think is worth a try (I got a team in) ... Was wondering if anybody thought it would be a good idea to have an $80M franchise league, where the live players could play for any team they were on (similar to arvid's twisted $120M franchise league)? ... 
2/1/2015 12:39 PM
Master Debater Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.