Dodgeball

Transport yourself back to the sixth grade. It's time for recess. It's time for everyone's favorite game, Dodgeball. The teacher has tapped you to be a captain. Who are you going to pick?  There will be five captains and each captain will be given a fictitious budget of $100 and will pick their five teammates via an open auction.

Division alignment:  Captains will place themselves first, in separate divisions.  As the auction proceeds, each captain will place each teammate, as they are chosen, in a division of their choice.  Teammates shall not be placed in the same division.

How do you win?  The total, regular season wins for each team member count as one point.  Every team that makes the playoffs adds five bonus points.  Every playoff series won adds an addition five points.  The winner of the world series gets ten points.  The most points wins the prize.  More on the prize later.

Once the season starts, we begin to throw the dodgeball. After the 3rd game of the season, the person with the worst record in the league (tie breaker is team with worst expected winning percentage) gets to throw the dodgeball. They will select someone, anyone, on another team, in the opposite league and they will tell that person that they must waive a specific player on his roster. The person who was hit, after waiving the player, may replace him with anyone he likes on the waiver wire and will then "throw the dodgeball" and hit someone else. The person has 30 hours from the time he is told to waive the player and throw the ball.  Note, the player “hit” must be waived, but not necessarily replaced.

Catching the dodgeball:  When you have been hit for the the fourth time, you may declare you have “caught the dodgeball.”  This declaration must be made within SIX hours.  This will result in the person who threw the ball at you, in losing a player of your choice.  That person will then have 30 hours to make the change.  The person who caught the ball will then throw the ball at someone else within one hour of the catch.

Note, you are allowed to  “catch” the dodgeball only once and it does not have to be on your fourth hit.  You can save it for later.  If you end up losing a player because someone has caught a ball you have thrown and you consequently lose a player, that loss will count towards the four "hits" needed so that you may also, catch the ball.

Penalties:  If the player has not been released and the ball has not been thrown after 30 hours, one point will be immediately deducted from the team total.  An additional point will be deducted every eight hours until the change is made and the ball is thrown.  Note, games are not forfeit.  Wins are not turned into losses and losses are not turned into wins.  A point is deducted every eight hours while in violation, even if the player in question does not actually “play” in the game.

You may not "hit" someone in the same league as yourself. You throw the dodgeball across the line - into the other league. You may not hit the person who just hit you and you may not hit a teammate.

When it is your turn to throw the ball you need to do two things, first, sitemail your victim and myself so I can start the 30 hour clock. You also need to post it in the league forum for all to celebrate. You need not wait 30 hours to make the waiver move.  It actually makes things much more fun for everyone if you don't wait.

As for the composition of your own 25 man roster it will be pretty straightforward.

no clones at all ever

No trades, AAA. DH or injuries
100 mil cap limit
any stadium you like, any season of player you like

Prize:  To play in this league you will need to buy a $10 gift certificate. Once I set the league # I will give everyone instructions on how and where to send the Gift certificate. Just don't send it to me. The winning team will split the $240 collected, six equal ways.

In the event we need a tiebreaker: World Series Winner followed by total regular season wins followed by total regular season homeruns.

I will set a season ending transaction deadline for ending all hits, very close to the end of the season.

1.  Spotsell
  2.  Pinotfan
  3.  Dorkster
  4.  Razorclams
  5.  Spoonfed
  6.  Chuckinrlp
  7.  Hersheybear
  8.  Slotterhodge
  9.  Calcutta
10.  DaBallCoach
11.  clk0619
12.  Rickysdad44
13.  Cholatse
14.  Reddtrain
15.  Jose can u c
16.  Odalisgagne
17.  Dippedncrack
18.  Sjh0825
19.   Twfan
20.  Donburgh
21.  Duece_Duece
22.  Yanks250125
23.  Ozomatli
24.  Malfunction

Spotsell, Pinotfan, Dorkster, Razorclams, Spoonfed, Chuckinrlp, Hersheybear, Slotterhodge, Calcutta, DaBallCoach, clk0619, Rickysdad44, Cholatse, Reddtrain, Jose can u c, Odalisgagne, Dippedncrack, Sjh0825, Twfan, Donburgh, Duece_Duece, Yanks250125, Ozomatli, Malfunction

7/23/2015 11:05 AM (edited)
Oh yeah, another league to become obsessed with. I'm in.
2/13/2015 10:40 AM
I'm in too
2/13/2015 11:02 AM
I am in with the promise to do much better
2/13/2015 11:07 AM
Ditto!
2/13/2015 11:54 AM
in
2/13/2015 2:23 PM
I'll go another time!
2/13/2015 4:44 PM
happy to jump in
2/13/2015 7:03 PM
count me in
2/13/2015 7:05 PM
ALWAYS IN
2/13/2015 9:12 PM
thank you gentlemen
2/14/2015 2:04 AM
I'll play
2/14/2015 7:53 AM
I'm in
2/14/2015 3:17 PM
I'm back for another beating.
2/18/2015 7:44 AM
I'll play again. Someone has to be picked last. :)
2/23/2015 11:59 AM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.