Cheaters among us Topic

I'm playing in a WS right now in one of my favorite themes, OG Twist.  The league # is MLB111091.

After I won the second round, I clicked on my WS opponent's stats to see what I was up against.  Well, I wound up spending a few more hours than I'd intended on this advance scouting, ha ha!  What I believe I uncovered is one owner running 4 teams in this theme, which he's apparently done for a few seasons now.  

Let's being with the owner IDs, and the season #'s they've played in this theme.  (For simplicity's sake I'm using the season #'s as listed in the League Records link, although this theme is much older, but with many seasons not linked):

pillsbury: 30, 31, 32 (two teams), 33, 34, 35
skone: 32, 33, 34, 35
coupeville: 32, 34, 35
ccholder: 32, 34, 35

Quick notes: 

pillsbury won the WS in seasons 31, 32 and 34.  His season 32 winner also won the TOC.   He's the owner I'm facing in the current WS.  His winning % is .619.

skone has only played 5 full seasons of SLB.  4 seasons have been in this theme.  His winning % is .615.

coupeville has a winning % of .666.

ccholder has only played 4 full seasons of SLB.  3 seasons have been in this theme.  His winning % is .612

TRADES

Some background on the OG Twist.  This is a theme where the more successful teams usually underdraft PA, because the cap is just 80M and we get 6 "average" AAA batters, and we tend to use them. There is a huge advantage in running 4 teams in this league, because if you tank any position, you have 4 AAA players to choose from -- from among your 4 teams -- to fill in that particular hole.  Some of the "average" AAA are indeed average, some are terrible, but some will give you 300ish very good PA that are most useful at this low cap.  And these 4 teams were shuttling their best AAA hitters to one other, depending on which team could use them.

Here are all the deals made involving these four owners since they've been in this theme:

Season 30: pillsbury was the only participating owner.  He made no trades.

Season 31: pillsbury was the only participating owner.  He made 2 trades (one with me!).

Season 32: All 4 owners participated. 

pillsbury/skone
pillsbury/skone
pillsbury/ccholder
pillsbury/ccholder
pillsbury/coupeville
coupeville/ccholder
coupeville/skone
skone/SOMEONE ELSE

Season 33: pillsbury and skone participated.  

pillsbury/skone
pillsbury/skone

Season 34: All 4 owners participated.

pillsbury/ccholder
pillsbury/ccholder
coupeville/ccholder
coupeville/ccholder
coupeville/skone

Season 35: All 4 owners participated.

pillsbury/skone
pillsbury/ccholder
pillsbury/SOMEONE ELSE
coupeville/ccholder
coupeville/SOMEONE ELSE
skone/SOMEONE ELSE
ccholder/skone
ccholder/SOMEONE ELSE

In the seasons they played together they were involved in 23 trades, and 18 of those times it was another in the group of 4 they were trading with.  

AAA/200K PITCHERS

These teams were also able to save their best pitchers for the 20 teams in the league that they were really in competition with.  I looked at the starts their AAA and 200K scrub pitchers made, and noticed they never started against one of the other 20 teams; not once.  These are the starts they made this season (I can't access game logs for prior seasons but I suspect the same thing happened):

---'03 Naps (pillsbury) vs. Cubs 1908 (skone)---

1. 12/19pm: Naps start AAA pitcher, Cubs start real pitcher.
2. 12/19pm2: Naps start real pitcher, Cubs start 200K scrub.
3. 12/20am: Naps start AAA pitcher, Cubs start real pitcher.
4. 12/20pm: Naps start real pitcher, Cubs start 200K scrub.
5. 1/2pm: Naps start AAA pitcher, Cubs start AAA pitcher.
6. 1/2pm2: Naps start real pitcher, Cubs start 200K scrub.
7. 1/3am: Naps start 200K scrub, Cubs start AAA pitcher.
8. 1/23am: Naps start real pitcher, Cubs start AAA pitcher
9. 1/23pm: Both start real pitchers
10. 1/23pm2: Naps start real pitcher, Cubs start AAA pitcher
11. 2/3pm: Both start real pitchers
12. 2/3pm2: Both start real pitchers
13. 2/4am: Both start real pitchers
14. 2/4pm: Both start real pitchers

---'03 Naps (pillsbury) vs. 1914 Red Sox (ccholder)---

12/24pm2: Naps start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher
12/25am: Both start real pitchers
12/25pm: Naps start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher
1/8am: Both start real pitchers
1/8pm: Both start real pitchers
1/8pm2: Both start real pitchers
1/18am: Both start real pitchers
1/18pm: Both start real pitchers
1/18pm2:Both start real pitchers
1/29am: Both start real pitchers
1/29pm: Both start real pitchers
1/29pm2: Both start real pitchers

---Cubs 1908 (skone) vs. 1914 Red Sox (ccholder)---

12/27am: Cubs start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher
12/27pm: Both start real pitchers
12/27pm2: Both start real pitchers
1/9am: Both start real pitchers
1/9pm: Cubs start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher
1/9pm2: Both start real pitchers
1/19am: Both start real pitchers
1/19pm:Both start real pitchers
1/19pm2: Cubs start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher
1/30am: Cubs start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher
1/30pm: Both start real pitchers
1/30pm2: Cubs start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher

---1917 White Sox (coupeville) vs. 1914 Red Sox (ccholder)---

12/24am: White Sox start AAA pitcher, Red Sox start real pitcher
12/24pm: Both teams start real pitchers

---1917 White Sox (coupeville) vs. '03 Naps (pillsbury)---

1/12pm: Both start real pitchers
1/12pm2: Both start real pitchers

---1917 White Sox (coupeville) vs. 1908 Cubs (skone)---

12/25pm2: White Sox start real pitcher, Cubs start 200K scrub
12/26am: White Sox start real pitcher, Cubs start AAA pitcher

Again, the AAA/200K pitchers on these 4 teams started zero (0) games total against the other 20 teams in the league, but made 21 starts amongst themselves.  The first pairing above (pillsbury/skone) were division rivals.  The rivalry does not seem overly heated, does it, what with the teams taking turns alternating AAA/200K pitchers against one another.  By the end of the season they started real pitchers more often, perhaps because their pitchers were rested enough and  both teams had clinched playoff spots early.

Then I looked more closely at the way these teams used their AAA/200K pitchers.  Below I've listed the total number of pitches thrown against the other 3 teams within this group as a percentage of total pitches thrown.

'03 Naps (pillsbury)

1991 Willie Blair: 117/148 (79%)
1930 Ken Holloway: 135/179 (75%)
1978 Wayne Garland: 200/205 (98%)
1989 Steve Davis: 123/239 (51%)
AAA Ozzie Eckleberry: 358/460 (78%)
AAA Ian Kroll: 545/1145 (48%)

1908 Cubs (skone)

1983 Paul Moskau: 221/221 (100%)
1983 Rich Bordi: 102/102 (100%)
1968 Bill Stoneman: 114/169 (67%)
1964 Glen Hobbie: 57/76 (75%)
AAA Jack Clemmons: 488/783 (62%)
AAA Danny Lanier: 336/1065 (31%) 

1914 Red Sox (ccholder)

1914 Guy Cooper: 207/415 (50%)
1933 Curt Fullerson: 127/345 (37%)
1925 Ray Francis: 29/199 (15%)
AAA Kris Rudolph: 299/1179 (25%)

17 White Sox (coupeville)

1939 John Whitehead: 103/126 (82%)
1969 Sammy Ellis: 88/88 (100%)
2002 Jim Parque: 33/33 (100%)
AAA Richard Kane: 93/626 (15%)
AAA Danny Notherun: 326/1047 (31%)

The 17 White Sox stats are particularly interesting, in that they played the other 3 teams a total of just 6 games.

PLAYOFF TANKING

In the 2nd round of the playoffs, '03 Naps (pillsbury) and 1908 Cubs (skone) met.  '03 Naps took a 3-0 lead, and then prior to the 4th game skone posted this in the league's message forum:

02/10 01:27 skone This is a disaster! Outscored 13-1 in first three games. Time to completely shake-up the lineup. 

His team lost the next game 7-2, with 6 of the runs given up by his AAA relievers. His starter, 1907 Carl Lundgren, was pitching well, the game was tied 1-1 after 3 innings, but he was pulled after just 42 pitches. 

I clicked on skone's pitchers' profiles to see what role they were in. This is what I found, beginning with his frontline pitchers:

1907 Carl Lundgren: SP2 (started game 4)
1907 Orvie Overall: SP1 (would have started a game 5)
1906 Mordecai Brown: Mop
1906 Jack Pfiester: P (i.e. benched)
1913 Ed Reulbach: Mop
1909 Rube Kroh: Mop

Now here are the roles for his AAA and 200K pitchers

AAA Danny Lanier: LRA
AAA Jack Clemmons: LRA
1983 Paul Moskau: LRA
1983 Rich Bordi: LRA
1968 Bill Stoneman: Mop
1964 Glen Hobbie: Mop

So in a game facing elimination, it looks like skone -- career winning % of  .615, you will recall -- puts his good starter on a 40 PC maximum, and arranges it so that the pitchers who would relieve him would be AAA and 200K scrubs.  And that's exactly what happened.

What's more, he benched several of his starting batters (Tinker, Evers, Sheckard, Kling) for AAA/200K hitters.

Here's the boxscore: whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx

I've sent all this info to the commish and to Admin.  They're still deciding what to do.  Meanwhile, we're 3 games into the WS (I'm losing, 2 games to 1).  Both teams are in a TOC that simmed its first game this morning.

Stay tuned...
2/13/2015 12:56 PM (edited)
well seems like cheating isn't limited to Little League! lol
2/13/2015 11:15 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
so what your saying is that one owner can have many teams under other names this that right
2/13/2015 11:43 AM
Three possibilities:

1. The same person owns the IDs.

2. The IDs are owned by different people who are VERY friendly with one another.

3. The IDs are all legit, and everything I've outlined above is coincidence.

I'm going with #1...

2/13/2015 11:47 AM
if that is right I have know that for long time there no way to stop that
2/13/2015 11:47 AM
Yikes, talk about taking the fun out of a great, long running theme. It would appear to me it's up to the commissioner to step up and have administration disavow any reward for this "gamer-of-the-system". I play in this theme and also and want to shout out a big "Thanks" to crazystengel for doing the detective work and uncovering this type of cheating. The evidence is over whelming. As part of this league, I was able to review what he posted. It's entirely accurate & points to the owner taking unfair advantage of the theme's spirit.

On a separate but related note, I really hope we don't hear any rebuttal to the effect of "I paid my money I can do what I want" or "the other league owners had a chance to veto my self dealing trades and they didn't". A level playing field is all we ask for in our quest to spend a couple months investing our time in a hope of competing.

I, for one, will not be playing in the OG Twist until there is some resolution to this. Time to step up for the future ff09 and set some boundaries.
Absurd.
2/13/2015 12:11 PM
All 4 accounts (pillsbury, skone, coupeville and ccholder) should be booted out.
2/13/2015 12:40 PM
Jackie Robinson Pacific Northwest?
2/13/2015 12:57 PM
Great research, crazy! Thanks for publicizing this abuse of the rules.

Just for the record, I only have one screen name, and no family members or personal friends who use this site. I hate the fact that people are allowed to have more than one account on the site. What is the point of doing that, other than in an attempt to circumvent the rules?

I'll be interested to see if the WIS administration decides to do anything to stop this abuse. If they can't publicize the screen names of members with more than one account, maybe they could come up a way to bar people from making trades with themselves, and with people using the same mailing address. To do nothing will invite more cheating, and will likely cause a lot of people to stop using the site for fear that they're not getting a fair shake.

At a minimum, if I was running the OG twist league, I would start by barring trades. I know that trades are a popular feature of the league, but I've been in the league for several seasons, and I don't think I've ever made a trade.

BTW, I don't hold ff09 responsible for this. I've run many leagues, and I know of no way to tell if someone using more than one screen name has entered multiple teams, unless they choose to tell you. I don't think I've ever permitted trades, though, since it seems to invite abuse.
2/13/2015 1:38 PM (edited)
I don't hold ff09 responsible, either.  As commish you have no way of knowing if there's an owner in your league with multiple teams, until you notice something fishy once the season starts, or something fishy is brought to your attention.  I'm still holding out hope that ff09 or Admin can do something about this season (pillsbury just beat my team in game 4 to go up 3-1 in the WS, so time is running out).

You make a good point about banning trades for this theme, where AAA can play a key role in a team's success.  I've been an active trader in this theme, but I realize it would be more fair if we banned it, and I've posted that in the league's message forum in the past.
2/13/2015 1:51 PM

I agree that the simple fix is to drop trading or even to drop the random AAA altogether. I'm not 100% familiar with the league, but maybe setup a rule where you draft your own AAA players from your franchise or something.

Now, as to the alias issue. This has been an issue with WIS forever, and not just in SLB. There are multiple threads in HBD about similar issues to this. I know that admin has cracked down on the HBD side in similar circumstances, so there is precedent for them to take action. Needless to say, this whole situation stinks and something should be done about it.

The other thing ff09 can do is just not let any of these alias teams back into the league...it won't keep it from happening again with new aliases, but it would go a long way to punishing the offender. I know that I will add these owner names to my personal "Do not play with" blacklist.

2/13/2015 2:15 PM
Would love to see the Pillsbury response. Has he been invited to comment in this forum ?
2/13/2015 3:16 PM
He can comment if he wants.  I haven't said anything to him because I'm not particularly interested in his response, and I also think the commish and Admin should be the ones to address him on this.
2/13/2015 4:06 PM
I have been here 12 years I have only one name in here gees51 I have seen this abuse many times would have said something but didn't think adm cared I thout all thay care about was your money oh well
2/13/2015 5:14 PM
12345 Next ▸
Cheaters among us Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.