Mike Trout Topic

For ****'s sake.

You stated his strikeouts and said, paraphrasing, "18 times he could have made a more productive out".   Which is fine.   My question is pretty ******* simple.   If he didn't strikeout those 18 times, he obviously put the ball in play.    How many of those might have been hits?    His career BABIP say 6.498.     I'm saying "Hell, maybe it's only 3."    Why are you insisting that all 18 of those now struck balls turn into outs?
2/27/2015 3:03 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/25/2015 3:32:00 PM (view original):
From the link:

"Obviously, you don't want to strike out. I'd like to put the ball in play and let my legs help me get a few more hits."

I don't think anyone has ever argued that strikeouts are the same as hits.
From page one.
2/27/2015 3:06 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2015 3:03:00 PM (view original):
For ****'s sake.

You stated his strikeouts and said, paraphrasing, "18 times he could have made a more productive out".   Which is fine.   My question is pretty ******* simple.   If he didn't strikeout those 18 times, he obviously put the ball in play.    How many of those might have been hits?    His career BABIP say 6.498.     I'm saying "Hell, maybe it's only 3."    Why are you insisting that all 18 of those now struck balls turn into outs?
Because that's the ******* conversation we've been having. "Strikeouts are just like any other out."

You're trying to make this conversation how strikeouts that become balls in play are a good thing. I've never disagreed. If Trout can find a way to do that, god bless him. I brought this up this morning in the context of "Strikeouts are pretty much just like any other out over the course of the season." 
2/27/2015 3:06 PM
Have you become badluck?   I know what I'm discussing.    I'm not having a goddam "strikeouts are like any other out" converstion.   I assume that's a tec/BL/dahsfife thing.   If you want to have that discussion, don't ******* quote me.

If you state that 18 times, Mike Trout could have put the ball in play, instead of a strikeout, and have been more productive, I want to know why all 18 have to be outs?   That makes no statistical sense.
2/27/2015 3:17 PM
****.  You're the one who said Trout's stated goal was to turn some whiffs into hits.   Now you're acting like it would take ******* act of God for that to happen.

Did you have an extra bowl of Retard cereal for breakfast?
2/27/2015 3:20 PM
There are 18 times where Trout struck out over the season where a different kind of out had a decent chance to be more productive. If you want to make a hypothetical where he takes these 18 specific strikeouts and make them balls in play, ok. Obviously there's a great chance some would be hits. I don't know how it applies to anything at all, though. I don't care.

The point I made was that "strikeouts are pretty much like any other out." You made the point of "balls in play are better than strikeouts." You're right.
2/27/2015 3:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2015 3:20:00 PM (view original):
****.  You're the one who said Trout's stated goal was to turn some whiffs into hits.   Now you're acting like it would take ******* act of God for that to happen.

Did you have an extra bowl of Retard cereal for breakfast?
I'm not.
2/27/2015 3:23 PM
Posted by burnsy483 on 2/27/2015 11:00:00 AM (view original):
It's more of an aside, and has nothing to do with Trout's comments, but I'm helping to show, using a specific player, why strikeouts overall aren't worse than outs in play.
Said this at 11. And for some reason you continued to argue with me.
2/27/2015 3:31 PM
I could take part in that discussion, and I'd point out something that I doubt has been mentioned(increasing pitch counts), but I don't care to argue whiff vs. double play vs. advance runner.   DP/AR require runners and a lot of the other circumstances are out of a batter's control.   Putting a ball in play as opposed to whiffing largely isn't.
2/27/2015 3:38 PM
OK. That argument wasn't really geared towards you anyway.

As I've said NUMEROUS times, putting a ball in play is obviously better than not. There isn't a person here arguing otherwise.
2/27/2015 3:44 PM
Anyone saying that striking out less could be detrimental to the other parts of his game is arguing otherwise.
2/27/2015 3:57 PM
I'd dig back and find dahsfife's post about how many doubles/homers he hit with 2 strikes but I'm not in a digging mood. 
2/27/2015 3:58 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/27/2015 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Anyone saying that striking out less could be detrimental to the other parts of his game is arguing otherwise.
Two different things, of course. If someone strikes out, it's obvious that putting a ball in play would be a better situation than that.

If doing that means that you have to change your approach to atbats, there is a chance that it could be detrimental to other parts of your game.
2/27/2015 4:02 PM
You're going full retard here.

In order to avoid striking out, Trout would have to change his approach. There's a good chance that selling out to make contact would negatively impact his power.
2/27/2015 4:04 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 2/27/2015 4:04:00 PM (view original):
You're going full retard here.

In order to avoid striking out, Trout would have to change his approach. There's a good chance that selling out to make contact would negatively impact his power.
Heh.

www.youtube.com/watch
2/27/2015 4:05 PM
◂ Prev 1...16|17|18|19|20...65 Next ▸
Mike Trout Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.