Defensive Replacement Bug? Topic

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=69222245&pbp=0 -- Link to box score.

Might be a bug, or maybe I'm missing something.

Bottom of 8th. Munoz brought in to replace CF who was PH for. Then immediately removed from game when D Replacements kick in. Burning Munoz from going in as SS D Replacement as should happen by those settings, or ever getting into the game if needed.

Munoz is by far the best defensive player of those moved in or out of the game or changed position.
3/1/2015 5:20 PM (edited)
It's two bugs.

First, it replaces the pinch-hitter in CF before making the defensive changes, therefore making Munoz basically be announced to enter the game at a defensive position and then come out before facing a batter. Which is idiotic.

Second, it moved Weston, who has all relevant defensive ratings worse than Munoz, to CF to replace Munoz.  It might have evaluated Weston against the DH-type that hit for the previous CF... but that's kind of the definition of a bug.

Send a ticket, in case some WiS programmer decides he'd rather fix the game on his/her nights and weekends than have a life.
3/1/2015 2:14 PM
Before open a ticket, I wanted to have at least 2 more people tell me it seems to be a bug and that I'm not missing something obvious.

Not that I expect WIS to even consider fixing the code any time in my lifetime.  But I'd let them know, just in case.

I can't see any reason to put Munoz in the game and then take him out.

What I can't figure out is how/why the sim, after putting Munoz in CF, didn't do what seems to be the typical Def Repl thing, which would have been to move him to SS. And then the SS to 3B and 3B to CF.  That's how my Def Rep are set.

3/1/2015 5:18 PM
I'm not a programmer but I know the SIM does things in steps.  It's always A, B, C, D.    The SIM can't process multiple moves that are unrelated in the SIM's eyes.   PH is one thing, D-Rep is another, Rest is another and so on.  IOW, it can't process A, D, C, B in that order.

What makes perfect sense to us is not programmed in.   No idea how difficult it would be to do so. 
3/1/2015 5:41 PM

It's the combination of your player rest and defensive replacement settings, isn't it?

When the inning starts, you don't have a CF because he was PH for.  So it puts Munoz there because he must be next up in either the Rest or Defense settings.

THEN the defensive replacements kick in, and Weston gets replaced in RF, but why does HE move to CF to replace Munoz, instead of just coming out of the game?

Does this mean that in your defensive replacement settings, Weston is a higher priority in CF than Munoz? 

3/1/2015 7:51 PM
Yes, Weston was in my D CF rank. Munoz was not. I always want Munoz to go in as D SS. So that's the only place I have him in my D Repl setting.

Munoz is #1 CF in Player Rest.

I can explain an algorithm making the first move of putting Munoz in CF. But when D Repl kicked in, he should have moved to SS.

It wouldn't be hard to make the Def Repl actions go before the Rest / Replace Player actions if the inning is within the Def Repl innings.
3/1/2015 8:43 PM
Well, it's like Mike said - the Sim does things in steps.  You have to configure your settings to offset those steps.  Believe me, I've had a bunch of things like this happen, and had to go back and look at my replacements hierarchies to offset them.

So your RF moved to CF, but then Munoz should have moved to SS... unless - I'm guessing - maybe your starting SS is higher in the def reps than Munoz, in which case Simmy would have nowhere to put Munoz.

See, I don't think it's a bug, it's just that the thing takes its instructions VERY literally.

My pet peeve is when the Sim lets a RP hit for himself, then brings in the next RP after the third out, while pinch hitters are available.  Obviously would never happen in real life.

3/1/2015 8:56 PM (edited)
Am I gathering, then, that none of you guys do the recommendations and leave it at that?
3/1/2015 11:20 PM
I do the recommendations, usually leave them alone for my minor league teams unless I see something really wrong. But on my major league team I'll have specific ideas for who backs up who, so I fine tune each position. And hopefully I avoid conflicts like these.
3/2/2015 12:23 AM
>> So your RF moved to CF, but then Munoz should have moved to SS... unless - I'm guessing - maybe your starting SS is higher in the def reps than Munoz, in which case Simmy would have nowhere to put Munoz. <<

Munoz was #1 at SS. Would be a bug if the current SS was listed ahead of him.

I haven't been able to think of work around to avoid this.  My guess is the bug is when Simmy gets around to the Def Rpl steps, he doesn't know that Munoz is in the game, so he doesn't know to move him.  And Munoz isn't on the bench either.  In this situation, Simmy doesn't know Munoz is on the team, so the logic executes without him being considered.

3/2/2015 5:24 PM
I submitted a ticket. I'm not expecting them to do anything about it.  If they have anything to say, I'll post it here.

3/2/2015 5:28 PM
Posted by tufft on 3/2/2015 5:24:00 PM (view original):
>> So your RF moved to CF, but then Munoz should have moved to SS... unless - I'm guessing - maybe your starting SS is higher in the def reps than Munoz, in which case Simmy would have nowhere to put Munoz. <<

Munoz was #1 at SS. Would be a bug if the current SS was listed ahead of him.

I haven't been able to think of work around to avoid this.  My guess is the bug is when Simmy gets around to the Def Rpl steps, he doesn't know that Munoz is in the game, so he doesn't know to move him.  And Munoz isn't on the bench either.  In this situation, Simmy doesn't know Munoz is on the team, so the logic executes without him being considered.

You might be correct about why Munoz doesn't get moved... either that, or, once a player comes off the Rest menu he's no longer eligible for the Def Rep menu.

But it seems that the whole problem came up when your RF moved to CF, rather than leaving the game.  If he wasn't a Def Rep for CF, I think Munoz would have been left in CF.

3/2/2015 7:13 PM
Defensive Replacement Bug? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.