baseball card collectors? Topic

I just came across two big tubs full of cards from 88-93. 

Just wondering who should I be looking out for from that era?

Found 3 Rickey Henderson 89 Donruss already. 
4/18/2015 4:39 PM
Nothing good from that era.
4/18/2015 5:02 PM
That '89 Rickey is a dollar card at best.  Keep looking.
4/18/2015 6:03 PM
what's the '89 upperdeck griffey worth these days.........and the '90 donruss set, that accidently had all the error cards....
4/18/2015 8:41 PM
I think it was the '88 or '89 set for Topps but Toys R Us was selling them for 10 or 20 cents for a sleeve of 30 or 45 around Christmas of that year.    I bought all of them because I figured a buck for a couple hundred cards was a no lose.    I think I spent 12 bucks so, if any of them are worth anything, I won.     They're in a closet with old jackets I'd never wear again.
4/18/2015 8:52 PM
Finally got through both tubs.

Turns out there were a few older ones as well, but loads and loads of 89-93.

The HOF guys, if anyone has a recent Beckett let me know...

Several Yaz cards oldest from 1980 Topps. 8 more from donruss and topps between 81 and 83 +2 84 Fleers.
Stargell - 78 Topps. 6 more from 81-82 all three brands.
Lou Brock - 77 & 2 from 78
McCovey - 79 & 2 from 80
84 fleer - Bench/Palmer and Fergie Jenkins
Reggie - 86 & 87
Carlton - 86

Rest are 89-93 or so
Nolan Ryan
Gwynn
Ripken jr.
Rice
Murray
Maddux
Boggs 
Dawson
Glavine
Molitor
Larkin
Winfield
Sandberg
Ozzie
2 R Johnson Topps 89
like 7 Schilling 89 donruss

then a couple of football fleer 90 (Deion, Reggie White)

and then some Bball from 92-93 Fleer (Jordan/Pippen/Bird/Barkley/Robinson/Olajwon/Worthy)

A ball signed by Feller and a small piece of paper not in very good shape signed by Joe Willie Namath...
4/18/2015 9:26 PM
None of the rookies are any good from that era either?

I was kinda stoked when I found those two R Johnson rookies.

Also have 3 Pedro Martinez and about 8 Chipper Jones.

Also a couple late 70's Goose Gossage and Blylevin, but didn't remember they were HOF, until I looked it up. have to back through for those.

So can I retire now?
4/18/2015 9:36 PM
Modern cards really aren't worth much.  Even the R. Johnson rookie cards aren't even gonna be worth grading - you'd never be able to sell them for the cost of the eval.  If you hold onto them for another 50 years, keep 'em at low humidity and out of the light, then maybe they'll be worth something.  If people still care about baseball cards at that point, which is definitely an open question.
4/18/2015 10:02 PM
Depends on the maker in that era... most of the topps and donruss were junk... these days the good ones are in that $1-$2, max. (Biggio, pedro, unit, etc... )i think there are a few error cards that might hit $5... but thats pushing it. Your better bets are those older ones from early 80s... might be able to buy off the dollar menu at McDs, but you are pushing your luck to value size it.
4/18/2015 10:28 PM
I collected cards as a kid. Is there much of a market anymore? I imagine with the rise of other technology that kids don't much care about looking at stats at the back of a card, when that information is freely available.
4/19/2015 3:06 AM
Not much of a market for anything produced in the 80's. I kicked myself quite a bit when I sold 5 Mattingly rookies for 250 bucks to pay for my senior ball in 87. Feeling alright about it now.
4/19/2015 12:39 PM
I mean, 80 Rickey, Fleer update Clemens, all of the Ripkens are always going to be good, but for the most part the 80's stuff is all junk now. I need to check recent prices. Been a couple of years since I looked.

My collection is pretty extensive and consists of a lot of 50's, 60's, and 70's. I have a complete set of 52 Topps that is in really nice shape. My collection is part of my retirement funds. One of these days I'll pony up to get the important stuff graded,
4/19/2015 12:45 PM
My dad owned a baseball card & comic book shop from 1986-1997 in Kirkland, WA.  Best job I ever had!  Best score we ever found were 5 boxes of 1986 Fleer Basketball at a local Pay N Save for $10 each.  We opened 2 full boxes, made complete sets and sold the singles for a couple bucks a piece.  The Jordan might have been $5...

4/21/2015 10:05 PM
I miss the actual cards, but being able to look up ANY old card that I think of on the internet is a pretty solid replacement for actually owning the cards themselves.
4/21/2015 10:09 PM
A HAIR OFF SQUARE CUSTOM CARDS

ahairoffsquare.com/

PROJECT BASEBALL 1976\

baseball1976.blogspot.com/

THE BASEBALL CARD CYBER MUSEUM

www.guitar9.com/bccm.html

CARDS THAT NEVER WERE

cardsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/

THE SHLABOTNIK REPORT CUSTOM CARDS

shlabotnikreport.wordpress.com/
4/21/2015 10:20 PM
12 Next ▸
baseball card collectors? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.