Looking for a mentor Topic

So I have managed to run a playoff team straight into the ground this season and am looking for a mentor in this game. Baseball knowledge is not a problem at all its just I guess I dont quite understand this game. If anyone has time please shoot me a sitemail. I enjoy the game but it gets frustrating after getting creamed night in and night out.
4/21/2015 3:55 AM
Look at your fielding.    9 times out of 10 a struggling new owner has terrible fielding.   At a glance, 3B, LF and CF are lacking.    That makes your pitching worse.
4/21/2015 6:55 AM
My numbers arent that bad percentage wise so im not sure if that is it. I will take a look tho.
4/21/2015 7:02 AM
Negative plays.   Look at the fielding recs for each position.
4/21/2015 8:01 AM
RL in CF: 
75 73 63 76

JE at 3B:  
64 57 75 69

WH in LF: 
52 37 39 44
4/21/2015 8:06 AM
Ewing is the only one that's in the ballpark and he's 13 off in glove.   That's a lot of errors waiting to happen.   The other two are just way off in multiple categories.
4/21/2015 8:07 AM
If he qualified, Ewing would not make top 20 in 3B range factor.   In 37 games, he has 5 errors/3 negative plays.  He botches a ball every 4.5 games.

Leskanic is 18th in CF RF.   8 errors and 9 negative plays.   He's horrible. 

Hayes is 13th but his fielding % doesn't get him in the top 25.   He's not the worst but he'd be much better served at 1B.   Where he'd be average.

4/21/2015 8:14 AM
FWIW, and I'm not trying to be an ***, your initial response is why a lot of people won't answer questions.   You're struggling.   I say "Look at your fielding.  CF, 3B and LF are weak."   Your response "I'm not sure that's it."

At that point, I probably should have just dropped it because you know you have a problem but, when an experienced owner tries to help with "This might be it", you immediately question the reason without even looking at the positions first. 
4/21/2015 8:28 AM
Nonetheless, here's what I'd do:    Palmer to CF, Leskanic to LF.   Work some sort of situation with Hayes/Charles in RF, Hayes/Lanigan at 1B and Lanigan/Bagwell at DH.   Hayes will still be horrible in RF but he'll cause less damage because RF gets the least plays.   Gonzalez to 2B.   I don't see a solution for Ewing at 3B but the other moves will shore up your D.  Leskanic will be really good, defensively, in LF and, with the exception of the days you play Hayes in RF, everywhere else is upgraded.
4/21/2015 8:37 AM
And remove 2B from Leskanic's field options.  He's LH and you don't want him playing there ever.
4/21/2015 8:56 AM
I'm going to back Mike's take, with my experience.

When I started Mike advised me to go over and above the fielding recs.  Sure, got it.  But the recs are the recs, right?  How bad could they be?  And what could be the harm if I fell maybe five points short on a few of them?

My second season, I didn't have a true CF on my team so I was playing an average 2B there.  Toward the end of the season another owner pointed out to me that the player had set the league record for worst CF Range Factor ever.  That really got my attention.

These days at SS and CF I'm not looking for ratings in the 80s, I'm looking for the 90s.

4/21/2015 9:00 AM (edited)
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/21/2015 8:28:00 AM (view original):
FWIW, and I'm not trying to be an ***, your initial response is why a lot of people won't answer questions.   You're struggling.   I say "Look at your fielding.  CF, 3B and LF are weak."   Your response "I'm not sure that's it."

At that point, I probably should have just dropped it because you know you have a problem but, when an experienced owner tries to help with "This might be it", you immediately question the reason without even looking at the positions first. 
thanks, but you're wrong. anyone else with something constructive?
4/21/2015 8:59 AM
I thought I was but thanks for confirming my wrongness. 
4/21/2015 9:11 AM
I'll add that defense isn't "fun".    No one says "Hell yeah!!!!   No errors and 3 positive plays in that 2-1 win!!!!!" but everyone likes to point out the 5 homers, one a three run shot in the bottom of the 9th, in that 13-11 win. 
4/21/2015 9:15 AM
123 Next ▸
Looking for a mentor Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.