Double Mendoza S26 -- FULL!! Topic

Double Mendoza has rolled with NINE EIGHT SIX FOUR openings for S26.

You might ask, "But Pajammies, why the hell would I join a league with 8 openings?!"

I'll give you NINE reasons!

First of all, all those 9 guys who left were jerks. They were all trying to sleep with your sister/mom/girlfriend/wife. Don't worry, I personally got rid of them all.

Second, I'm a super awesome, hard-working, handsome-but-not-too-handsome, humble commissioner. I work a boring desk job in front of a computer, so if you're concerned I won't have time to be an active commissioner, you got another thing coming. Also, I don't have any kids gettin' in the way of all the important fake baseball stuff. So don't worry about that. Hell I might even get a vasectomy for HBD.

Third, we got a good MWR -- you gotta lose 200 games over two seasons to get the boot here, which totally allows you to rebuild in peace but isn't going to allow Joe Tanker to play a catcher at SS and steal your hard-earned top-5 pick. Furthermore, your first record with your franchise doesn't count toward this 200. We'd all rather you not tank like crazy, but we understand that it takes a season to get your bearings with a new franchise.

Fifth, we have a $100M Player Payroll Budget ceiling. Trust me, this is awesome. We don't have any teams with wacky bullshit budgets that you know are just going to leave a franchise devastated, we RARELY have good-but-not-amazing players bid up into the stratosphere, you can't just build a dynasty without some forethought, and our IFA market doesn't get batshit crazy. This rule is great.

Sixth, I'm really good at counting.

Seventh -- our blog looks better than anyone else's blog. Yeah I said it, wanna fight about it?

Eighth: let's be honest, with 9 openings we're probably gonna roll AFTER the new changes are in place. Want to get a team with an Advanced Scouting budget higher than anyone else's? Want to give the new rules a shot with a team you're not yet invested in?? Just dooooo it.

Ninth, uh... I mean come on, look how much effort I put into writing this stupid thing. Like, whatever, just join ok?

Double Mendoza is a very competitive league with a solid core of owners. We have a great mix of committed, veteran owners and newer players who are still excited about the game despite WhatifSports’ lack of updates! We also have a unique salary cap for you veterans looking for something a bit different, and our MWR has kept things very competitive in recent seasons.

League Rules:

1. Salary restrictions: Player payroll budget must not exceed $100m. (Punishable by death.*)

2. Minimum Win Requirement: Owners losing 200+ total games over the course of two consecutive seasons will be given the boot. An owner’s first season in Double Mendoza does not count toward this total.

Scroll down for available franchise profiles. We are a fun, competitive world, and because of the combination of the MWR and salary cap we rarely see franchises dropping too far below the 100 loss mark. SiteMail Pajammies if interested!

*Not punishable by death.

6/18/2015 9:51 AM (edited)

AL North, S25 Montreal: 80-82. Another good rebuild candidate, it’s a mostly-aging roster with a handful of good young players and prospects. Albert Calderon and his expiring contract still has something left in the tank, so sign him or enjoy the cap space. Rusty Thomas has sneaky value on the ML roster, and recent draft picks Irv Baldwin, Paul Suzuki, and Willie Perez are all 21 or younger and still in the farm system.

AL East, S25 Boston: 75-87. Two seasons removed from a 93-69 season, this franchise has struggled quite a bit because of a lack of consistent ownership. Quite a bit of talent hasn’t been able to overcome 6 owners in 9 seasons, the franchise has perhaps the second-best all-around offensive player in the league in Gary Gardner and former RoY J.P. Locke manning 3B. Add in current RoY candidate Bernie Mendoza, and former #7 pick Al Escobar, and there is a strong offense already in place.

TAKEN AL East, S25 Chicago: 50-112. This franchise is a Minimum Win Requirement casualty, and as such has some very good potential in the minors. There are a couple decent pieces in the Majors, such as Tomas Osoria and Slick “Slick” Henry. But the major appeal are studs like Hideo Komatsu and Juan Mateo, and next year’s #1 pick.

AL West, S25 Vancouver: 76-86. This franchise has had remarkable consistency as well, having only three owners over its lifetime. They have a solid 3B in his prime in Jarrett Capuano, and one of the better young pitchers in the league in Davey Eovaldi. If you can stand aging star Yamil Servet for one more season and his mutual option, this is a decent team to build around.

AL West, S25 Oakland: 81-81. Another franchise that could go either way -- rebuild or reload -- hovering at or above .500 for the last 3 seasons. Solid pieces include power-hitter Dick Mitchell, DH Mark Shin, 3B Terry Hume. With a team salary under $60m, there’s a lot of flexibility here.

TAKEN AL South, S25 Texas: 63-99. This team will have a top 5 pick and doesn’t carry a ton of salary with it, so there is a ton of flexibility here. There isn’t a ton of talent at the ML level, though players like Curt Gruber and Joshua Hughes are solid, young contributors. There are some decent pieces in the minors in Jhoulys Gonzales and Yuniesky Toca, so there’s room for growth.

TAKEN
AL South, S25 Florida: 86-76. A perennial playoff team, this franchise has perhaps the best pitcher in the league in his prime, in Geraldo Campos. Along with stud Jeremi Singleton and a couple solid pieces in Leonardo Lukasiewicz and Ray Bumgarner, this team could easily be a contender next season.

TAKEN NL West, S25 Tacoma: 59-103. #2 pick in the draft, 3 consecutive seasons of 92+ losses, and you can start out with Advanced Scouting higher than everyone else’s. Add in one of the best pure hitters in the league in 29 year old Eswalin Arias, and this franchise is stacked.

TAKEN 
NL South, S25 Atlanta: 66-96. Another up-and-coming team with some good pieces already in place in Elroy Leverton (25 years old), Cedrick Mercedes (27), and Augie Kubel (21). Add in last year’s #7 pick in Jarret Carr, and the future is bright with this franchise.

6/18/2015 9:51 AM (edited)
Reason number ten you should join Double Mendoza:

I'll make up stupid nicknames for your players! Bonus for the Montreal franchise: Willie "Vanilli" Perez.

5/14/2015 9:44 PM (edited)
I'll take Chicago.  I enjoy fixing things.
5/15/2015 5:36 PM
Invitation sent.
5/16/2015 10:20 AM
Reason number eleven:

We keep all-time team records on our blog! See if you can keep former commissioner blaank182 from fulfilling his goal of occupying as many top hitting records as he can!

Hitting records
Pitching records
Fielding records
5/18/2015 11:53 AM
Seriously, what other commission cares this much and has such a good sense of humor, join our world and enjoy the lively chatter and the challenge of the salary cap.
5/25/2015 9:10 PM
Ok we're whittling away at it... Down to 7 openings!
5/26/2015 9:03 PM
6 to go...
5/28/2015 3:02 PM
Looks like we have 3 that would be willing to swap, if you are in a league that needs to fill.
6/10/2015 2:19 PM
Take Pajammies up on the swap offer!  This is a great league.
6/12/2015 8:26 PM
It's awful recruiting right now, we all need swaps!
6/13/2015 9:31 AM
Down to 5.
6/17/2015 10:43 AM
Down to 4! We still have at least 2 owners willing to swap!
6/18/2015 9:51 AM
We're full!!
6/22/2015 9:39 PM
Double Mendoza S26 -- FULL!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.