since it's been a long time since I've recruited for a fastbreak offense ...

For those who run it regularly, would it be fair to say, in general terms, deemphasize a bit lp and per, emphasize speed, ath and bh more?
5/23/2015 11:19 PM
yes, although i like lp alot in fb
5/24/2015 6:35 AM
I'd say STA is quite a bit more important than in other sets, and I'd say FT is also more important in FB than other sets. ATH, SPD, and BH are important in all sets, I think. It's also fun to have at least one nice 3pt shooter on the team, can do a ton of damage, and prevents guys from going too far negative against you.
5/24/2015 3:37 PM
Personally I'm not the best but looking at other good teams.  What I see is you either need elite ath or elite spd, obviously both would be the best.  BH is super important.

I outlined 2 different variants based on mfnmeyers style and the style of anavrin.

if you focus on elite ath you will get elite def most likely.  bh/pas isn't as important.  LP guards are great.

if you focus on elite spd look for elite bh/pas.  you can sacrifice defense as the elite spd will help make up for it in the fcp.
5/24/2015 5:36 PM
I ran Fastbreak and Press for many seasons determined to make it work and I finally gave up. Two many reasons beyond just the 2 formations themselves that its a hopeless cause.

In my opinon PER is still important for fastbreak. You want to be able to hit a good amount of threes. In my opinion you should have 3 PER players in your lineup, recruit as many PG as you can and have them play SG and SF too.  Your going to get a lot of free throw attempts so good free throw shooters are valuable. You want to have at least 1 good low post shooter to keep the other teams honest. You are highly unlikely going to win if you have bad PER  players in the fastbreak.

My problem with fastbreak compared to other offenses is you need to have good all around players, you need athl, speed, sta, per, bh, and passing and you need to do this while having depth. Other offenses can have 2 to 4 sim recruits a season, play slowdown, and then next season use those sim recruits for scholarship money so they can once again go after the top players while you are busy scrapping by recruiting guys who may hit 800.

At the Division 1 level fastbreak is a losing strategy. .

5/24/2015 5:40 PM
SPD, ATH, FT and to a lesser extent DEF.  I had a kid with very little PER and LP score like 1400+ pts with crazy efficiency in D3.  To me in FB/press sets I almost (almost, although PER can be great) ignore LP and PER for FT and SPD/ATH
5/24/2015 6:17 PM
This isn't actually a fast break press it's fast-break zone.
5/24/2015 7:31 PM
Hey a_in_the_b. As you are aware sometime something gets started ion the forums  that is just a myth. Someone says it's true so it's taken as true. I believe FB is the most misunderstood "O" in this game. I run FB/Press with my Cal San Diego team. It's been to the championship game twice and won one. I emphasize very aggressive 3 pt shooting so PER is very important to me. Usually I have at least one stud big who is my 1st or 2nd leading scorer so I also utilize LP very effectively. I hope you can use this info in some way. GL!
5/24/2015 11:10 PM
By the way, the NC game we lost was to a FB/press team. I know you run zone. I'm just not much a fan of zone, but we dealing with the FB "O" side of the equation. team.
5/24/2015 11:16 PM
Well, fb zone interested me as a challenge, so I'm trying it. And I've had some success before with zone for some definitions of success. It's my mad scientist coming out, but I have to try to combo that seems odd to me.
5/25/2015 7:14 AM
Posted by coachvegas44 on 5/24/2015 11:10:00 PM (view original):
Hey a_in_the_b. As you are aware sometime something gets started ion the forums  that is just a myth. Someone says it's true so it's taken as true. I believe FB is the most misunderstood "O" in this game. I run FB/Press with my Cal San Diego team. It's been to the championship game twice and won one. I emphasize very aggressive 3 pt shooting so PER is very important to me. Usually I have at least one stud big who is my 1st or 2nd leading scorer so I also utilize LP very effectively. I hope you can use this info in some way. GL!
Yeah, actually, while this team I inherited isn't that great, one thing I've found is that I've been pouring more and more distro into the three shooter I inherited and he's been scoring at a fairly efficient clip with some volume, considering his ratings.

http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/GameLog.aspx?tid=13176&pid=2973588
5/25/2015 7:18 AM
My FB/zone team is Redlands in Wooden......mild success....I probably don't recruit enough speed, offensively, it's significantly more important than ATH........I sign way to many 60/60 guys and not enough 40/80 guys......I also usually get a lot of post scoring, my good teams have a 12-14 point 4/5........STA is less important, I can run 10 deep without a big issue, I RS every year
5/25/2015 8:13 AM

Now I'm certainly not a Zone/FB sensei by any means...
but I think I've put together an alright Zone/FB unit in our DII Heartland,
You might be able to glean a bit of useful info there (as to what will work / what will fall short in conference).

I pretty much play zone straight up across all worlds, so (mostly out of habit) my recruiting strategy didnt change all that much.
If anything I tried to push SPD/ATH/BH/PASS a little more, (but really - when isn't that a good idea?)
I'm not convinced that you should persue those abilties at the expense of others tho.

SPD, BH, & FT are the things that I'd pay extra close attention to, above other ratings - otherwise, I'd say build as you normally would for a zone.

5/25/2015 4:18 PM (edited)
Reaching back in time, my notes on fastbreak zone eight games into my first season with my own roster ...

You can pile on the minutes. 62% of my minutes from starters, both guards averaging 27 minutes a game - not what I'm used to from playing fastbreak - zone definitely is taking precedence for fatigue as said.

Second thing - while you don't get the turnovers you get from press, you also don't foul like you do in press, and fastbreak generates a lot of free throws, so you can rack up a nice free throw/foul disparity.

Third thing, 3-2 zone seems to fit much better with the fastbreak than a 2-3.
8/18/2015 10:01 PM
Ill throw my 2 cents in even though i run a man D with fastbreak i have 2 d 1 teams i think are succesful, i was recently in the NT championship in allen ( lost)

first off i run mostly at fairly fresh unless my backup is terrible or starter is a stud.  keeps starters in the 22-24 mpg range and backups develop faster. 

secondly lp, per are definatly huge in the fastbreak i mean your suppose to score 100 a game, you need guys who can outscore the other team 

i value D as much as anything but i play a man so might not be as important to you. 

bh/ and or pass you can slack if your having trouble finding those with the ath, spd, but try not at pg rather slack at lp per there . bh also more important than pass for pg. good ft's are nice especially with a high lp for guards they will draw tons of fouls . 

8/21/2015 11:55 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.