Wooden Recruits Topic

It seems like there are VERY few in number.
5/24/2015 7:50 AM
I feel like for the past two seasons at least the recruit pool has been seriously down on the west coast. I don't have much experience from which to form a reference base for the rest of the country but, within 400 miles, I typically have fewer respectable recruits available to me nowadays with A+ prestige than I did many seasons ago with a C- prestige. And I store the ratings of any recruits that I put on my watchlist on an Excel sheet so this isn't a case of a fudged memory. 
5/24/2015 9:01 AM
I sent multiple tickets about this...if I can dig them out I'll copy/paste them.  Look at NY/PA, the numbers are insanely low.  But basically I was told they weren't low.
5/24/2015 10:51 AM
There's usually between 650-800 recruits in NY/PA/CA....this season there is less than 500.
5/24/2015 10:52 AM
Are the overall numbers low or the concentration in the big states low?
5/24/2015 10:54 AM
I sent my initial ticket right after recruiting ended the previous season because that's when I first noticed the new recruit pool was pretty shallow.  Here are the tickets:

Recruiting in Wooden just ended and in glancing at the new recruit generation, the overall # of recruits across the country seems REALLY low. I know recruits are generated at random and it's based on the # of openings schools in the area have, but this is the lowest I've ever seen several states. Specifically, PA, NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, VA, SC, FL, CA, TX, OH, IN, and IL.

Just to give a comparison see the list below:
State: # recruits Wooden/# recruits Allen/#recruits Crum
PA 160 264 218
NY 166 305 275
NJ 50 86 73
CT 30 54 53
RI 15 31 26
MA 88 130 111
VA 55 126 112
MD 40 75 64
SC 74 115 89
FL 92 178 156
CA 222 278 242
TX 200 310 297
OH 82 141 122
IN 44 82 69
IL 107 145 134
CO 51 102 87

Given there are states with less than HALF the normal number of recruits, I wanted to bring it to someone's attention. There isn't a huge rush here since recruiting won't start again for several weeks, but figured I'd mention it now before people complained when recruiting started.

Thanks,
Dan
4/16/2015 10:58 AM Customer Support
Dan,

To generate recruits, we first determine the total number to create, which is based on the projected openings in that world. 

As we generate the necessary number of players, they are assigned to a particular state. The odds for each state are based on the number of schools in that state. Once a state is selected, a high school from that state is randomly assigned, which determines the player's geographical location.

From season to season, there will be variance in quantity and quality in a particular area due to these factors.
4/16/2015 2:34 PM darnoc29099
Are you able to run a data dump that compares the # of projected openings (I'm assuming draft picks aren't factored into the equation used to generate recruits) in Wooden, Rupp, Crum, and Allen?

This upcoming season, Wooden has a total of 2949 recruits, while Rupp, Crum, and Allen have 3966, 4674, and 4010, respectively. That's a difference of 26%, 37%, and 26% in # of recruits generated. It's always possible there are just that few openings in Wooden next season, but mathematically that would be extremely unlikely.

A few seasons back Knight was very low in recruit generation (not sure how low as I'm not in Knight, but it was on the HD forums page). Seble was notified and he added recruits to the recruit population. And that's why I'm bringing this up. Recruiting doesn't start for weeks, but something doesn't seem right here. 

Can Seble take a quick look at the numbers and see if they compare to what he saw in Knight a few seasons back?

Thanks,
Dan
4/17/2015 10:25 AM Customer Support
Dan,

The ratio of recruits to projected openings for Wooden is well within our expected range. The number of projected openings is quite a bit lower in Wooden than the other worlds you mention, which is why you see so many fewer recruits.
5/24/2015 10:55 AM
There.  Ticket posted.  When I asked if it could be escalated to Seble I received the "your ticket has been upgraded to the appropriate department" email, so I'm hoping he eventually saw the ticket.  
5/24/2015 10:56 AM
Yeah seems very odd to me too.  So fewer openings (meaning more human coached teams) means LESS recruits?  Seems backwards.  Maybe by "openings" they mean scholarships?
5/24/2015 11:35 AM (edited)
I believe "fewer openings" = "fewer open scholarships" 
5/24/2015 11:35 AM
By openings CS is referring to scholarship openings, not available coaching openings.

And props to darnoc for spotting this issue early and getting CS involved early enough to correct the matter. Sadly, however, CS is wildly wrong with their rationale in thinking a single world's population variance by this big between worlds is within acceptable bounds.

Darnoc gets an A+ for being quick to chase this down but WIS gets an F in their logic and mishandling in this matter.
5/24/2015 11:36 AM
I painstakingly counted the # of openings for each human-coached team in Wooden.  There are 983 total. Should I have included the Sim teams, too???

For DI, there are 415 available scholarhips
For DIi, there are 266
At DIII, it's 302

darnoc reported a total of 2949 available recruits. 

Once recruits are generated again in the next world, we'll have a better idea if the Wooden numbers are low
5/24/2015 3:36 PM (edited)
It's openings for all teams, including sims. I was tempted to count openings in Wooden v another world, but that would have taken forever.
5/24/2015 3:56 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 5/24/2015 3:56:00 PM (view original):
It's openings for all teams, including sims. I was tempted to count openings in Wooden v another world, but that would have taken forever.
Yes, it would take forever.   One shortcut is, when the time is right, look at the job openings. It'll list the # of scholarships available for every Sim team.  After the job process is done, you'll still have to cross-check it to see which schools were taken.   You'd also have to do the human-coached teams individually. 

5/24/2015 4:09 PM
Or instead of doing a census that takes forever, you could take a random sample.  Yay statistics!

This would be fairly easy to do and compare with Phelan, considering Phelan recruiting is starting at the same time.
5/24/2015 5:16 PM (edited)
In D3 Wooden, there are 283 D3 teams available and those teams have a total of 648 open scholarships, or, 2.290 per team.  In Phelan, there are 300 D3 teams available with 1216 open scholarships, or, 4.053 openings per team.  That's quite a difference.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to Phelan's FSS #'s to determine how many total recruits there are (internationals and PR included).
5/24/2015 6:10 PM
12 Next ▸
Wooden Recruits Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.