Being Robbed of National Title Shot by WIS Topic

My Arizona team in Camp has had a magical season, going 14-0 including wins over previously undefeated USC and Nebraska. However, we are ranked 4 spots below the #1 team, which believe it or not, is this same Nebraska team that we defeated. Not only that, but two other one loss teams from the Big 12 are also ranked above us (Texas, who lost by 35 to Nebraska, and Oklahoma, who was crushed by Texas).

What sort of press poll would have an undefeated Pac 10 champion ranked 4 spots below a Nebraska team they whooped? In real life, Arizona would be the consensus #1 team. Are they really going to let Oklahoma, who didn't even win their damn division, let alone their conference, go in ahead of Arizona? If Nebraska is so great and deserves a title shot, shouldn't they have to beat the undefeated team that beat them for the title, instead of the 3rd best team in their own conference? This is a no-brainer and if the sim engine can't even get this right, then someone needs to lose their job.

We are the true champions of Camp and we dedicate our victory to the courageous men & women of the U.S. armed forces whom we honor this weekend. Please take time to reflect upon the tremendous sacrifices they have made since the inception of our Country and understand that this great nation would not exist without their bravery. From Bunker Hill to Baghdad, they have selflessly answered the call to duty to establish and preserve our freedoms.

Never give them away.
5/24/2015 1:26 PM
SOS rules the rankings here - what is yours?
5/24/2015 1:30 PM
If you win you game to day you will most likely jump to 2 wis normal puts conference Champs ahead of non conference champs.
5/24/2015 2:14 PM
I still think we have the best team, but or SOS slipped all the way to 41 by the end. The Pac-10 was a bit down this year and the Big 12 won all of their big games, except for the one against us. I still think WIS needs to fix this flaw if they are looking for accuracy to real life. There is no doubt that Arizona would have been ranked considerably higher with an undefeated record and a win over the #1 team. Oh well, we will get'em next season.

Congratulations and good luck to nwwf against Florida!!!
5/24/2015 3:16 PM
I have a similar situation where I wound up ranked 3rd after the conference championships. The #1 team is an undefeated BCS team with a SOS in the 40's that didn't hold him back too much. The #2 team has 1 loss - to me. My lone loss was to the #6 team. So to a computer program, I guess I look a little weaker than the #2 team, but if a human poll were in place I doubt he would be above me. But who knows.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

5/24/2015 3:39 PM
Your SOS is weak. You cannot schedule sim opponents for OOC games. The best way to schedule OOC games is to schedule 3-4 human coached teams you have a good shot at beating and 1-2 that are somewhat cupcakes, maybe one semi-difficult opponent. If you have 2 or more sim coached teams your SOS suffers greatly.
5/24/2015 5:48 PM
You have to have those human coaches respond, though.
5/24/2015 6:19 PM
Posted by stalagna on 5/24/2015 5:48:00 PM (view original):
Your SOS is weak. You cannot schedule sim opponents for OOC games. The best way to schedule OOC games is to schedule 3-4 human coached teams you have a good shot at beating and 1-2 that are somewhat cupcakes, maybe one semi-difficult opponent. If you have 2 or more sim coached teams your SOS suffers greatly.
In all fairness to him, it's often difficult to get other D1A teams to accept challenges. Especially if they think there is a chance that they will lose.
5/24/2015 6:21 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by pyt100 on 5/25/2015 2:14:00 AM (view original):
Just a few days ago kevintampex90 was robbed out of a title as well. Please don't quit the game like puss kevin did.
pyt, I am going to guess you are 13 years old, have to beg your Mommy to borrow her credit card to pay for more seasons, and average a couple of in school suspensions each school year because of your smart mouth.   
5/25/2015 10:57 AM
Posted by pyt100 on 5/25/2015 2:14:00 AM (view original):
Just a few days ago kevintampex90 was robbed out of a title as well. Please don't quit the game like puss kevin did.
Pyt, pretty sure you're the only one that thinks this is funny. Not sure why you feel the need to attack someone you don't know, but calm down and grow up a little, dude.
5/25/2015 4:48 PM
Posted by awags on 5/24/2015 6:21:00 PM (view original):
In all fairness to him, it's often difficult to get other D1A teams to accept challenges. Especially if they think there is a chance that they will lose.
I'm also in Camp (as Penn State).  I challenged Arizona at least a couple of weeks ago for a non-con for next season, and it's just been sitting there.  There is a strategy to creating a good OOC schedule and perhaps scheduling Penn State isn't part of Arizona's...but I don't buy that you can't find *someone* to play if you're looking to boost your SOS.
5/27/2015 1:16 PM
It is a true statement that it is not always easy to schedule humans, especially if there is a small chance you will beat them.
5/27/2015 6:00 PM
Just a thought does anyone think the "old" way of non-conf scheduling may be the way to go? That is to have the computer randomly build your schedule. But have it based on previous season rankings. For example, If you were a top 20 team then 3 of your 5 games would be vs top 20.  Something along those lines.
5/28/2015 3:46 PM
Posted by ebbets55 on 5/27/2015 1:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by awags on 5/24/2015 6:21:00 PM (view original):
I'm also in Camp (as Penn State).  I challenged Arizona at least a couple of weeks ago for a non-con for next season, and it's just been sitting there.  There is a strategy to creating a good OOC schedule and perhaps scheduling Penn State isn't part of Arizona's...but I don't buy that you can't find *someone* to play if you're looking to boost your SOS.
I scheduled Nebraska because I thought they would be one of the top teams. I already have USC and Arizona State in my division, I didn't think I had a weak schedule at all. My mistake was not scheduling some 10-3 human teams from the middle of the pack or smaller conferences to 'pad' my schedule a bit. But I never like to challenge a small school team that has absolutely no chance to beat us for the sake of making the schedule look better. To be honest, I never dreamt we would win our conference, let alone be in the discussion for the NC.

But we kicked Nebraska's *** up and down the field. Head to head matchups should mean a lot more than wins over Marshall and Toledo if we are trying to simulate real life situations. We have the best team in Camp, and I have the box score to prove it.

And you elites with RS Senior QB's love to challenge us mid-range programs when we have a Freshman on deck. Keep my name in your rolodex Ebbets, we'll gladly do business next season.
5/28/2015 11:53 PM
12 Next ▸
Being Robbed of National Title Shot by WIS Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.