Budget Rollover Topic

What percentage rolls over? And I thought I read the rollover was a percentage of your starting budget, but it looks like it's a percentage of whatever budget you have left after recruiting ends?
5/30/2015 11:30 AM
Yeah, it's 25% of what you have left over at the end of recruiting - but only if you've filled all your scholarships.  If you take any walkons, you get 0%.

To put it another way, you get 25% of what you didn't spend.  It would be weird to get back money that you spent.

5/30/2015 11:41 AM
Right, that makes sense. Thanks, llama.
5/30/2015 11:48 AM
One addition to llama's excellent report:

If you sign an ineligible, and he goes JUCO instead of reporting to campus, you still get the 25% rollover.   In that event, the walkon replacement won't count against you.
5/30/2015 11:49 AM

Thanks, Al. If you sign an ineligible, is he ineligible the whole year or just until his GPA rises above 2.0?

5/30/2015 11:53 AM
He'll miss the entire season at DI and D2.  He can't even practice, so  put all his minutes into study hall. 

At D3, ineligibles can play right away
5/30/2015 12:13 PM
So what's the thought on ineligibles? Are they worth it?
5/30/2015 1:21 PM
Also, if you have an empty class (i.e., no openings) any post-season money or other recruiting money you have for that year will role over 100% as long as you don't cut a player to create an opening
5/30/2015 3:06 PM
I've recruited 3 or 4...just had my first one that didn't show up.  I don't typically chase them, but if the condition are right, I'll bite
5/30/2015 3:57 PM
In D1/D2, can you redshirt the ineligible and still get 4 eligible years out of them?
5/30/2015 4:16 PM
I never worry if a player is ineligible at DIII.  If he's a guy I want, I get him. At DI or DII, I usually don't even waste my time on ineligibles unless it's a player who is so good or fits one of my needs so well no other player is as good.
5/30/2015 4:31 PM
Posted by undietaker on 5/30/2015 4:16:00 PM (view original):
In D1/D2, can you redshirt the ineligible and still get 4 eligible years out of them?
you don't need to redshirt them, they'll just eventually get to be a 5th year senior, so you'll get the 4 years of eligibility, pending they show up
5/30/2015 4:44 PM
Posted by pallas on 5/30/2015 1:21:00 PM (view original):
So what's the thought on ineligibles? Are they worth it?
Many are.
5/30/2015 8:47 PM

ineligibles are another resource for people to tap into who don't have first cut at the guys they want (and in d3 you should ignore the ineligible tag). its definitely valuable, but there are downsides. in d2 and low-mid d1, you get 1 guy for 5 years, instead of 1 guy for 4 years, but you get the same production from him. the result is his average production per year is roughly 20% less than the same player who was eligible. so, they have to be pretty good, for it to be worthwhile.

in high d1, there is an additional hit. ineligible players are treated as their listed class, not their "actual" class, for EE purposes. so a guy who as a sophmore would be great but probably stay, as an ineligible, is probably gone as a junior, even though hes exactly as good as that sophmore. this costs you that all-important 3rd year and because his off year is split over fewer active years, his production hit as a yearly average is even higher. i just recently signed an ineligible at kansas because i liked him a lot and it was him or a walkon, but generally, i recommend championship seeking d1 programs avoid ineligibles. between the production hit, the EE hit, and the chance they don't even show up, its pretty hard to justify. 

5/30/2015 11:29 PM
5/30/2015 11:32 PM
Budget Rollover Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.