Modern Era 5 X 5 Franchise League 21 in! Topic

Here's a new take on a franchise league...

There have been 5 sets of 5 seasons since 1990 (1990-1994, 1995-1999, 2000-2004, 2005-2009 and 2010-2014). You must select 1 season from each of the 5-year eras. For example, you might select 1994, 1995, 2002, 2008 and 2013. Your players must come from these seasons.

Be careful not to blindly pick your "pet" seasons for your franchise, because there's an extra challenge that makes it more interesting...

You must now select 5 players from each season:
1 starting pitcher with at least 120 innings. (does not have to be labelled as a SP, just needs more than 120 innings)
1 relief pitcher with less than 120 innings. (does not have to be labelled as a RP, just needs less than 120 innings)
1 infielder (1B, 2B, 3B, SS) or DH (must be labelled at an IF position, or must be used as DH)
1 OF, C, or DH (must be labelled at OF or C, or must be used as DH)
1 scrub "role player" or "mopup" pitcher under $1 million. (can be any position)

...so, in other words, you will have to strategize what seasons will give you good contributing players for different positions simultaneously.

Some players like Tony Gwynn or Cal Ripken stayed on a team for more than one era, so I will allow clones if they are at least 5 seasons apart (regardless of era borders, so 1999 and 2000 clones will not work, whereas 1993 and 1998 will work).

To also help out, you get 6/2 average AAA manually chosen from a 6th season 1990-2014. All of the AAA must come from the same season, and only 3 of these AAA players will be eligible for the playoffs. The intention here is to ensure that the World Series teams will be under 100 million for the TOC. You are welcome to use as many of these players as you wish during the season, but at the roster deadline, you will be limited to 3 AAA players on your roster. If you do not have enough AAA players available from your chosen season, then fill up the rest of the manual AAA spots with players you won't use (use of AAA players other than your chosen AAA season will forfeit your chance for playoffs).

Other rules:
95 million cap (to leave 5 million for AAA players)
DH yes
WW, trades, injuries, no
Any stadium is allowed, but league-wide uniqueness is in effect
One owner may take 2 teams, and will be placed in different leagues.
Two owners may take the same franchise, and will be placed in different leagues.
Since the Rays and Diamondbacks both joined the league during the 2nd era, I will allow a Ray / Diamondback combo with at most 1 season per era per team (...so you can have a Ray season from 2000-2004 as well as a Diamondback season from 2000-2004 to make up the shortfall of seasons, but not 2 seasons from the same team within the same era).

LEAGUE NUMBER: MLB113120

PLEASE SIGN UP BELOW, GIVING YOUR FRANCHISE AND UNIQUE STADIUM.
9/16/2015 7:39 PM (edited)
OWNER            FRANCHISE         STADIUM

1. Datatrek            Jays                 South Side Park (III)
2. RWHAY            Astros                      Humphrey
3. specsman            Yankees            "Old" Yankee
4. hoops                 Reds                 Three Rivers
5. burningcouch       Dodgers                 TBA
6. slipandfall            Giants                 Kingdome
7. northof49            Cards                 Busch
8. midknight            Nats/Expos            Nat Park
9. fatboydad54 Rays/Diamondbacks   Fulton County
10. brucel                 Giants                 Shea
11. ddodge02            Cards                 TBA
12. wallypipp            Red Sox            Fenway
13. homerun8            Mariners            Ebbets Field
14. bsm7                 Braves                 Connie Mack
15. shysters3        Braves                   US Cellular
16. cellodave            Mets                  Chase Field
17. slouch                 Cubs                      Wrigley
18.  forte4him          Reds                       GAP
19.  82689              Yankees                   TBA
20.  fortywins         Dodgers                   TBA
21.  taft                      A's                     Coliseum

10/20/2015 10:52 PM (edited)
I will take Astros and Hubert Humphrey Metrodome
6/7/2015 7:18 PM
6 in! Welcome RWHAY! Nice to see you return!
6/9/2015 11:53 AM
St. Louis Cardinals and Busch Stadium.
6/11/2015 2:32 PM
Nationals/Expos and Nat's Park.
6/14/2015 12:39 PM
I will take the Mets in Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.

Do the AAA players need to come from our chosen franchise also?
6/16/2015 2:19 AM
I'll try the Giants , park TBD
6/17/2015 3:35 PM
Must the players taken be in their primary position ?
6/17/2015 4:04 PM
Posted by brucel on 6/17/2015 4:04:00 PM (view original):
Must the players taken be in their primary position ?
That's a good question. For the scrubs (under $1 million), their position doesn't matter. Perhaps there is an owner who could afford to have a drafted IF or OF/C be under $1 million and so their primary position wouldn't matter either.

However, for most owners IF above $1 million need to be infielders or play as the DH. Players drafted as an OF/C or DH that are above $1 million need to be OF,C or play as DH. Realise that if you want a SS to play 2B or a catcher to play OF, be my guest. In fact, as the rules are stated, if you draft an OF that can play 3B and you want to play a AAA guy in the OF, then that's fine too.

This theme is built on drafting 1 IF and 1OF/C from each season, so you can't draft 2 OFs (1 to be used as an IF, and 1 as an OF) because the player would be being defined by their use during the season and not by their draft....then we need extra theme rules for that situation (i.e., forfeiting games when you don't play the player the way you drafted him).

Its harder to manage a league where the use of players must be monitored. I realise that I could just wait to the end of the season, and check the playoff team rosters for violations...but then you have a team that makes the playoffs being disqualified then, which doesn't seem fun.

Bottom line is that players should be taken according to whether their primary position was IF or OF/C. The DH could be from either (but they have to play DH).
6/17/2015 8:07 PM
Posted by fatboydad54 on 6/16/2015 2:19:00 AM (view original):
I will take the Mets in Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.

Do the AAA players need to come from our chosen franchise also?
Yes. It is stated in the rules that all the usable AAA players must come from 1 season of your franchise. It is assumed that the AAA season would be a separate 6th season of your franchise, but I suppose it could be a season that you've already selected if there's lots of cheaper players to get AAA from. The AAA are manual, so you have a chance to draft them the same way you draft the first 25 players.
6/17/2015 8:13 PM
Cardinals please, stadium TBD
6/22/2015 9:16 PM
Just for clarity sake regarding the positional drafting requirements - are the below scenarios legit or can you clarify where they are not?   Just a suggestion but you don't want hard feelings and disagreements potentially either side based on different interpretations of "the letter of the law".
1.  Player drafted as a scrub/role player can play any position including DH
2.  Player drafted as Infielder /DH can play any IF position and can be a DH - but they Can't play as an OF.  Acceptable use also includes a player only rated as a DH being able to play, say 1B if they were picked as the IF /DH for that year.
3.  Player drafter as OF/C/DH could Play any OF position , C or be a DH - but they Can't play in the IF.   Acceptable use also includes a player only rated as a DH being able to play, say RF (or C)  if they were picked as the OF/C /DH for that year.
4.  PITCHER drafted as a SP -  Can or Can't be used in relief ?
5. PITCHER drafted as a RP - Can or cant start a game?
ALSO - For any/all the scenarios NOT allowed, SPARKY will occasionally use a player out of position (ie if you have 2 C and both are pinch -run for in a extra inning game, Sparky may plug in an IF - is that kind of incidental exception ok?   Same idea with pitching, ie , if all relievers are used, Sparky will have to use starting pitchers in relief

May have follow up depending on your answers.

6/22/2015 9:53 PM (edited)
Posted by ddodge02 on 6/22/2015 9:53:00 PM (view original):
Just for clarity sake regarding the positional drafting requirements - are the below scenarios legit or can you clarify where they are not?   Just a suggestion but you don't want hard feelings and disagreements potentially either side based on different interpretations of "the letter of the law".
1.  Player drafted as a scrub/role player can play any position including DH
2.  Player drafted as Infielder /DH can play any IF position and can be a DH - but they Can't play as an OF.  Acceptable use also includes a player only rated as a DH being able to play, say 1B if they were picked as the IF /DH for that year.
3.  Player drafter as OF/C/DH could Play any OF position , C or be a DH - but they Can't play in the IF.   Acceptable use also includes a player only rated as a DH being able to play, say RF (or C)  if they were picked as the OF/C /DH for that year.
4.  PITCHER drafted as a SP -  Can or Can't be used in relief ?
5. PITCHER drafted as a RP - Can or cant start a game?
ALSO - For any/all the scenarios NOT allowed, SPARKY will occasionally use a player out of position (ie if you have 2 C and both are pinch -run for in a extra inning game, Sparky may plug in an IF - is that kind of incidental exception ok?   Same idea with pitching, ie , if all relievers are used, Sparky will have to use starting pitchers in relief

May have follow up depending on your answers.

Lets take them one by one...

1. Yes.
2. Yes...but you forgot that the IF/DH you draft can't play as Catcher either. Yes IF/DH can play out of position within the IF/DH group.
3. Yes.
4. Pitchers drafted as a SP do not have to be labeled as a SP for their season, but they must have 120+ IP. (i.e., there are a few RPs that have enough innings to be drafted as a SP in this league). However, only pitchers drafted as a SP can start games. There is no absolute way to limit a SP to only starting (since there are 21-inning marathons), so it is fine to use a SP in a relief role.
5. Similar to the SP rule, pitchers drafted as a RP do not have to be labeled as a RP for their season, but they must have less than 120 IP (i.e., there are part seasons for a SP for a variety of reasons--September call-ups, trades, injuries, etc.). Pitchers drafted as a RP are not allowed to start a game (because that is something an owner can control).

As for Sparky doing the unthinkable in an extra-inning game, we can't control that...but the settings should be set that players should not be "defensive replacements" or "rest replacements" or anything like that for a position they shouldn't be playing. If it happens more than a few times, your settings must be wrong and therefore you are responsible for that.

Have I cleared everything up?

6/23/2015 12:32 PM
Looks good!     You can add me as #11 with Cardinals , stadium TBD
6/23/2015 3:50 PM
12345 Next ▸
Modern Era 5 X 5 Franchise League 21 in! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.