D2 Pre-poll nomination thread Topic

Heres the D2 pre-poll thread for your nominations and discussion before the poll.

Some quick facts out of the 100 D2 seasons(past 10 each world) there has been 78 different coaches to win a NC.

At D2 there were more coaches who I'd consider elite but are probably not going to fair well due to just 1 team.  These are coache like devilow14 whose Mount Olive team has been terrorizing Crum with 2 NC 3 F4 1 E8 and 1 S16 in the past 10 seasons.  Or getbedarded whose Iba team Lander has dominated with 2 NC 3 F4 2 E8 and 1 S16 in the past 10 seasons.

There were also some coaches who were punished with the cutoff as there were some coaches who if we went back 15 seasons would've added another championship, or multiple(emy)

I made a excel spreadsheet of the NC winning coaches compiled their NC wins, NC losses, F4, E8, and S16 appearances at D2 in the past 10 seasons.  If they had a school for less than 3 seasons and no S16 or better I did not count it as a team.  I didn't use seasons either as I have somewhat of a life and wasn't going to count how many seasons a coach has played.

Here is the final spreadsheet for you guys to look at and base judgement upon.(please inform of mistakes, I am just 1 person)

Here are the leaders for each category:

NC's - 3 (bluena and trophaeum)
NC loss - 4 (daveredden)
NC appearances -6 (daveredden)
F4 losses - 8 (cjwolf)
E8 losses - 6 (alblack56)
S16 losses-  12 (emy1013)

Personally I'm looking at daveredden, emy1013, trophaeum, cjwolf, robinhood410 as my top 5 no order right now just based on stats.

On a side note, I didn't take into consideration any alternate ID's unless they won a NC, so if coaches have an alternate ID and theres a few of them I can add those stats in as I think its worthy as its best coach not best ID.

Just a quick PSA:  By doing this I am not considering myself good or anything, I'm not devaluing certain coaches personally or saying coaches aren't good/bad.  I'm just doing my best to engage the forums with some fun topics.

7/2/2015 1:51 AM (edited)
Oldresorter and Alblack56 should also be considered for the top 5.
7/1/2015 10:41 AM
I'm not sure about the others, but daveredden is superclass all the way, and thus should not be in consideration.  A monkey could, and should, win regularly with that setup... especially when in a power conference.
7/1/2015 10:50 AM
If worldofnoah made it onto the D3 list, getbedarded should be on the D2 list. May not win because of only having one team, but should definitely be in the conversation
7/1/2015 10:54 AM
I also take issue with daveredden.  In the last 12 seasons in knight (the only world I play with him) he's missed the post season 4 times.  That's not good.

I'd be a big advocate for oldresorter, even though most of his teams are DI.  But he always seems to make runs in the NT and is very tough to beat.

When I saw cjwolf listed, it made me think ARomano should be on the list also, but I checked and he also has mostly DI teams with one DII teams.  This is tough because there are few coaches who have 3+ DII teams and are that good.

We'll see what people think.  This vote isn't as obvious to me as the DIII one was.  Would love to see others thoughts.

7/1/2015 11:06 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Won one in the few seasons of the Rupp "super mega D2 bowl" at Fort Lewis. Won multiple at Miles in Wooden (probably the team I paid less attention to and only joined because people said 1 game a day worlds were tougher back then). Have been winning them regularly at SW Baptist in Tark for a long time. 

In the last 60+ seasons my worst RPI is 30, and 90% of them are single digits
7/1/2015 11:21 AM (edited)
Azamat too. He is in Rupp. In GLV Tark, you have the best DII div. And mattstarks could be in the discussion too. Aejones also.
7/1/2015 11:23 AM
Forgot Rogelio and ARomano
7/1/2015 11:26 AM (edited)
Posted by aejones on 7/1/2015 11:14:00 AM (view original):
You guys have lost it trying to leave me off both of these lists unless you're actively looking to have no credibility. You take a sample size of 10 from each world when I have a NC for every ~6-9 seasons including the best D2 program of all time. "Hey, who's been really lucky the last 6 months?" Is kind of fun I guess
you should be on this list of consideration for the title at SW Baptist Season 98 of tark.

10 seasons for 1x is over a year long period(about 1.25 years) and about 10 months for the 2x worlds.

Again it isn't best program of all-time it's who is currently the best.  Sure if we were doing best of all time your there in the top 5 for D2/D3 but thats not what were doing we are doing best right now.

Here are you're stats for the past 10 seasons:

1 NC
0 NC losses
0 F4
3 E8
3 S16

I haven't counted 2nd/1st/Misses, but you have 2 2nd round losses and 1 1st round loss.

So of the 39 coaches NC wise you have 18 coaches with more titles than you and 35 NC winning coaches with more total appearances in that span.  (your also one of the coaches hurting from the cutoff as you have a NC in the 11th and a NC loss the 12th).

So all time best?  Definitely top 5.  Best in the past 10 seasons, that's a no.
7/1/2015 11:32 AM
Posted by zorzii on 7/1/2015 11:23:00 AM (view original):
Azamat too. He is in Rupp. In GLV Tark, you have the best DII div. And mattstarks could be in the discussion too. Aejones also.
Azamat has not won a championship in the specified time and hasn't won in Rupp since season 54.

Mattstarks is another miss on my part.  He won a NC at CSU Chico season 81 and has been re-updated def a big one I missed. E8/S16 wise.
7/1/2015 11:46 AM (edited)
If that's what you are basing this on, I won a championship withing the last 10 season in DII Allen and also didn't see myself on your list. So the list may be missing a bunch.
7/1/2015 12:24 PM
You still have to put Azamat there. He is better than Emy and a lot of owners. Emy would be the first one to tell you this. He gets to NT all the time, his team is always relevant and if everything goes well, he could get another NT. Here is my top 5.

1. Aejones
2. Alblack56
3. Azamat
4. Trophaeum
5. Oldresorter
6. Mattstarks
7. Rogelio
8. Bcnopolis
9. Daveredden
10. Emy

It's a lot tougher to get a top 10 in DII. Being dominant is a lot tougher. Just to quote Jsajsa : consistency could be the key to get that top 10 real.
7/1/2015 12:48 PM
Posted by dan2044 on 7/1/2015 12:24:00 PM (view original):
If that's what you are basing this on, I won a championship withing the last 10 season in DII Allen and also didn't see myself on your list. So the list may be missing a bunch.
I have 2 excel sheets going, and just realized now with you aejones, and mattstarks you all have one Championship which means I didn't highlight, so it turns out I missed all highlighted players who were those with only 1 title.  Let me go ahead and say thats a pretty big **** up.  Im working on gather the rest of the info so it might be an hour or so, but the drive sheet updates automatically so it will be constantly the newest version anytime its checked out

This is what happens when I work on this spreadsheet only at 2am lol.
7/1/2015 1:08 PM (edited)
Posted by zorzii on 7/1/2015 12:48:00 PM (view original):
You still have to put Azamat there. He is better than Emy and a lot of owners. Emy would be the first one to tell you this. He gets to NT all the time, his team is always relevant and if everything goes well, he could get another NT. Here is my top 5.

1. Aejones
2. Alblack56
3. Azamat
4. Trophaeum
5. Oldresorter
6. Mattstarks
7. Rogelio
8. Bcnopolis
9. Daveredden
10. Emy

It's a lot tougher to get a top 10 in DII. Being dominant is a lot tougher. Just to quote Jsajsa : consistency could be the key to get that top 10 real.
Why do we put someone who hasn't won a championship, sure he might be better than people who have 1 championship and then a bunch of average seasons, but were talking best of the best and you're saying a coach with no NC in the specified time is better than multiple national championship winning coaches?  And emy?  Emy might not be as dominant as he has been before(one of the best D2 players ever), but in the 10 season limit he still has 2 titles, 2 losses, 5 final fours, 3 elite eights, and 12 Sweet sixteens, thats consistency WITH championships.

For aejones number 1, why?  He has 1 NC is the past 10 seasons.  Alblack I could see at number 2(i think it's a bit high) but fully understand its reasonable compared to the other 2 names.

7/1/2015 1:03 PM
1234 Next ▸
D2 Pre-poll nomination thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.