D2 BEST COACH POLL VOTE!!!! Topic

We will be accepting write in votes due to the openness of the D2 vote.  If you write in a coach please put it in the top of your post and then put any new text in a new paragraph to make it easier for me to catch the coaches and add to the tally.

Like this.

Also feel free to also put in a top 3 or 5.

Coaches are listed alphabetically in the poll.  And again I know it is hard to figure this out with only a 10 season period ~10 months for the 2x worlds and 1.25 years for the 1x worlds.  So this could also be considered most successful coach over this time period.

Personally Top 5:

1 getbearded

Lander is super dominant in IBA, only twice being knocked out before the S16(both 2nd round).  50% final four rate in the past 10 seasons and 70% for the E8 or better.  If he had more than 1 team he would dominate the stats I posted.

trophaeum

Another coach with a few teams(2) and has been at one of them from a total rebuild for 4 seasons and already 2 S16's there.  LIU CW Post in Phelan is top notch with 3 titles, another title loss, and a final four.  Which I think makes up for 4 1st round exits(IN which top 30 rpi's were maintained.  Maybe not the most consistent, but I'd take 3 NC(tied for most with 1 other coach) and a few early exits over 1 NC and a bunch of E8, S16's.

3 alblack56

Most E8 exits of any coach and boasts a bunch of S16 appearances as well to go along with 2 NC and 1 loss.  Even in non NC years, his RPI is always one of the best.

cjwolf

Perhaps the most unlucky coach with a leading 8 Final Four exits(4 teams).  cjwolf still has 1 NC and 1 loss in the past 10 seasons to his name.  In Allen had a stretch of 3 straight final fours and top 5 RPI's.

5 emy1013

Boasts the most S16 and 2nd most F4 knockouts and 2 NC and 2 NC losses to his name. emy is a D2 legend as well.  In Rupp Post is a perennial contender and like some other coaches(aejones, norm24, cjwolf, milkmania) suffers from the 10 season cutoff with back to back titles in 11 and 12 seasons ago in Rupp.
Votes: 90
(Last vote received: 3/16/2016 10:21 PM)
7/4/2015 11:57 AM
Of these, I have to say aejones. Can rub people the wrong way, but his results over time are consistently excellent.  Also think that if you are only looking at the last 10 seasons, dtm needs to be on the list. Think he has 3 championships and multiple final fours over that period. 
7/4/2015 12:29 PM (edited)
the0onlyis, is there any way you can add a link for each coach in the top 10?  That will help people quite a bit, especially those not familiar with some of these coaches.
7/4/2015 1:42 PM
Posted by pepwaves on 7/4/2015 1:42:00 PM (view original):
the0onlyis, is there any way you can add a link for each coach in the top 10?  That will help people quite a bit, especially those not familiar with some of these coaches.
I can't since voted has already started, but I'll post a link to the coaches here:

aejones

alblack56

bjb2378

cjwolf

emy1013

getbedarded

llamanunts

oldresorter

robinhood410

trophaeum
7/4/2015 1:51 PM (edited)
Thanks!
7/4/2015 2:13 PM
aejones is the clear cut number 1, bjb second.
7/4/2015 2:34 PM
Rogelio got cut?!?
7/4/2015 4:09 PM
Thanks for the endorsement the0nlyis. I voted for emy, mostly because I haven't run into the other coaches much. I would love to have teams in more worlds, but I've got a pretty busy schedule with work and a soon to be new family. Feel pretty fortunate to be mentioned on the list, we should make another run at it this season, feel pretty good about our chances.
7/4/2015 4:16 PM
I find it interesting that a lot of people are voting for aejones and alblack and hint at their continued dominance, whereas emy doesn't seem to be getting the same love for similar histories as the previous 2.
7/5/2015 1:04 PM
It didn't appear to matter, but you shouldn't put your personal picks in the same post of the poll, as it can skew the results.
7/5/2015 1:07 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 7/5/2015 1:07:00 PM (view original):
It didn't appear to matter, but you shouldn't put your personal picks in the same post of the poll, as it can skew the results.
okay, for the D1 poll i'll put my picks in a seperate post so it doesn't affect anything
7/5/2015 1:09 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/5/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
I find it interesting that a lot of people are voting for aejones and alblack and hint at their continued dominance, whereas emy doesn't seem to be getting the same love for similar histories as the previous 2.
im surprised you are surprised, honestly. aejones dominated d2/d3 with a height of greatness clearly above the other two, and alblack is fairly well known as the best coach who refuses to play d1 :) both are definitely in the d2 all time great list. emy is a great coach but i thought more of d1. really more of an all-around great coach actually. i know he has good d2 programs but i would not have expected him on an all time great d2 list (although admittedly that isn't what this is, most folks here would not make that list, but alblack and aejones would). maybe i just missed some of his great programs recently (what were they?), but he seemed more like consistently good d2 coach with an occasional spurt of greatness here or there. he has a bunch of titles but a lot of seasons under his belt, without a dominant run or two which really put him apart from the masses. trying to get to a "recent top 10" is almost superficial because really its rare there are 10 guys who really separate from the pack. it would be hard enough to find 10 all time who really separate from the pack.

just to be clear that this isn't an anti-emy post, what he does has is an automatic no brainer position on the "all time top 25 HD coaches" list, which most coaches on this post here, aren't even in contention for. for a long time i figured he was on the top 10 all time too, but there are so many great coaches now that so many more years went by, that its hard to say, so i won't say it, but i wouldn't say he wouldn't make it, either. EASILY top 25 all time though, which is way better than being top 10 of 1 division right now. but that doesn't change the fact that for emy to win this list, it would be a bit of a travesty.
7/6/2015 3:14 PM
It's kind of a weird list anyway.  There's not a great argument to be made to include me while excluding coaches like, in particular, rogelio and sublightd.  I don't doubt that's it's a giant pain in the *** to put this list together.
7/6/2015 3:49 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 7/6/2015 3:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by the0nlyis on 7/5/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
im surprised you are surprised, honestly. aejones dominated d2/d3 with a height of greatness clearly above the other two, and alblack is fairly well known as the best coach who refuses to play d1 :) both are definitely in the d2 all time great list. emy is a great coach but i thought more of d1. really more of an all-around great coach actually. i know he has good d2 programs but i would not have expected him on an all time great d2 list (although admittedly that isn't what this is, most folks here would not make that list, but alblack and aejones would). maybe i just missed some of his great programs recently (what were they?), but he seemed more like consistently good d2 coach with an occasional spurt of greatness here or there. he has a bunch of titles but a lot of seasons under his belt, without a dominant run or two which really put him apart from the masses. trying to get to a "recent top 10" is almost superficial because really its rare there are 10 guys who really separate from the pack. it would be hard enough to find 10 all time who really separate from the pack.

just to be clear that this isn't an anti-emy post, what he does has is an automatic no brainer position on the "all time top 25 HD coaches" list, which most coaches on this post here, aren't even in contention for. for a long time i figured he was on the top 10 all time too, but there are so many great coaches now that so many more years went by, that its hard to say, so i won't say it, but i wouldn't say he wouldn't make it, either. EASILY top 25 all time though, which is way better than being top 10 of 1 division right now. but that doesn't change the fact that for emy to win this list, it would be a bit of a travesty.
emy is more known for D1?

here's some of his programs:

Post (Rupp) since season 19(compared to all other D2 coaches)

3rd most coach wins (1510)
2nd in NT bids(61)
1st in NT wins(122)
1st in NC(5)
1st in NCOY(4)
1 player drafted nba

Northeastern St. (dcy0827) since season 3 Tark

1st in wins(2489)
1st in NT bids(91)
2nd in NT wins(160)
2 NC
2nd in NCOY(6)

19 Total titles(13 on emy and 6 on dcy, 684 total seasons 379,305 respectively, idk between D1/2/3 NC)

Alblack56 has more teams with longer periods of coaching, and appears on the D2 alltime win list in i believe every world if not top3 with both ID's of his.

18 total titles (14 on alblack and 4 on kypride, again not sure between D2/3) with 696 total seasons(461 alblack and 235 kypride)

not anti-alblack or aejones, just pointing out, emy has the team and NC history of both coaches, maybe a step under depending on how you view longetivity which is clearly playing a factor, and has spent a good chunk of time at D1 as well, compared to jones/alblack whose D2 teams have been theirs for years and years, with limited D1 or no D1 exp.
7/6/2015 3:53 PM
Posted by llamanunts on 7/6/2015 3:49:00 PM (view original):
It's kind of a weird list anyway.  There's not a great argument to be made to include me while excluding coaches like, in particular, rogelio and sublightd.  I don't doubt that's it's a giant pain in the *** to put this list together.
I just based the 10 coaches on some of the best postseason success in the most recent seasons.  I didn't include the most recent on-going season which hurt sublightd since he just won in Knight and that made rogelio and sublightd both just  1 NC recently, as well as thinking coaches like getbedarded with just one team might need some help getting their name out there as they have more success with just 1 team.  I stated write in votes were allowed due to only being able to add 10 coaches to the list.

I def didn't do a great job on the D2 list with my giant **** up of the google sheet screw up and due to the wide openness of D2.  As well as trying to make it weighted more towards recent success.
7/6/2015 3:56 PM
123 Next ▸
D2 BEST COACH POLL VOTE!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.