Newbie Thread - Game Info Topic

Just so it's clear PPPS stands for Positive Play per Season and it's how many plays to the plus side a guy would make if he played 9 innings in 162 games. 

SS isn't 800 because I remove putouts from the equation for infielders.    Basically it's catching a thrown ball in the infield.  A 1B would seem to be the most important.    Removing putouts from IF puts a fantastic glove SS around 530-550(still easily the highest).
7/22/2015 5:13 PM
Posted by ahausla on 7/22/2015 5:11:00 PM (view original):
Ok, what is considered good for a particular rating though?  Is 60 good and 90 amazing?  What do the numbers mean.
Use the recs as an initial guideline.    Find those at Edit Roster then click a player's position.
7/22/2015 5:16 PM
Position Range/Glove/Arm Strength/Arm Accuracy/Pitch Calling

C  10 30 75 75 50
1B 40 40 40 40 0  
2B 80 75 55 65 0
3B 65 70 75 70 0
SS 80 85 85 85 0
LF 55 55 50 50 0
CF 85 85 60 65 0
RF 65 50 70 65 0
7/22/2015 5:24 PM
Posted by ahausla on 7/22/2015 4:37:00 PM (view original):
I have been doing some reading, so here is what I am budgeting: Payroll 90, Prospect 8, Coaches 13, College 12, High School 12, International 12, Advance 14, Training 12, Medical 12.

I guess I am just trying to find a jumping off point.  My team is just ok, and I am looking to do a partial rebuild, but not complete.

Also, I am enough of a baseball nerd that I do understand the Rule V draft and the 40-man.  Where I think I need initial direction as to what are "good" player ratings, and how to identify good prospects, and what constitutes a lot of money for a player.

12 in HS and 12 in COL is wasting money. You're only going to get a couple of major-league prospects, plus a role player or two if you do a good job scouring the list of draft prospects. 12/12 will give you crappy projections for HS and college players and you'd need some luck to get even one very good player. You'd be better off moving one or the other up and the other down (14/6, aiming for 16-20/0) depending on whether your team is very close to contending (push college) or a few seasons away (push HS).

For IFA, with only 8 in Prospects you're not going to get a great player. With 12 in INT your projections are going to be poor so you'd have to be lucky to get anyone useful. The top IFA are going to draw far more than 8M, let alone what you have left of that 8M after signing your draft picks. It's probably (again, new system, so hard to say) worthwhile to keep something in INT and sign a few that don't prompt bidding wars, partly so if you have more $ available for IFA in coming seasons you'd be able to bump INT back up quickly.

I'd max Training planning to get to 20 ASAP, boost MED to at least 14, and decide whether you want to focus on HS/COL.
7/22/2015 6:07 PM
Ok, what is considered good for a particular rating though?  Is 60 good and 90 amazing?  What do the numbers mean.
For offense, there's no simple answer. Obviously 90 is far better than 60 in any one category. Overgeneralized, 60 might be replacement level and 90 would be MVP candidate.
- 90 Splits with 40 Contact, 45 Power and 35 Eye is not going to be good. 90 Splits with 60-60-60 will be an all-star.
- 75 vR is better than 80 vL (more AB against righties).
- 70 Power with 75 Splits is going to be superb. 80 Power with 60s Splits will be good in the right park. 90 Power with 40s Splits is Adam Dunn.
- 90 Speed with 50 Baserunning is not as helpful as 70 speed with 70 baserunning.

They are too interdependent to give a straightforward answer to the question.

7/22/2015 6:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/22/2015 4:37:00 PM (view original):
Maybe number eight should be:

8)  Don't believe everything you read in the forums.  Sometimes it's bullshit. 

Seriously, when someone says "Always", you should probably question it.    For me, there's only one absolute in this game.   Get your training to 20m.  18m might be fine but training affects improvement and decline of the physical skills.   Saving a couple mil on such an important aspect of the game seems dumb to me.
Ok. So don't make the last year of a contract a mutual option. See if I care.
7/22/2015 7:09 PM

That was more about "Put you real prospects on the 40 immediately" or, as you called it 6).

That's retarded.    Don't do that.    See, if you hadn't quoted me, I wouldn't have had to call you a 'tard.

That's on you.  Not me.

7/22/2015 7:17 PM
So in your opinion, it would be better to not scout one, and essentially max out the other? 

Because of the +/- 4 rules, the highest I can go is 14.

I have absolutely no feel for what is and isn't a lot.  That is part of my issue.  I am more than happy to strip off all my spare parts, but I guess I just have no idea how to start building.

7/22/2015 8:12 PM
Posted by joshkvt on 7/22/2015 6:21:00 PM (view original):
For offense, there's no simple answer. Obviously 90 is far better than 60 in any one category. Overgeneralized, 60 might be replacement level and 90 would be MVP candidate.
- 90 Splits with 40 Contact, 45 Power and 35 Eye is not going to be good. 90 Splits with 60-60-60 will be an all-star.
- 75 vR is better than 80 vL (more AB against righties).
- 70 Power with 75 Splits is going to be superb. 80 Power with 60s Splits will be good in the right park. 90 Power with 40s Splits is Adam Dunn.
- 90 Speed with 50 Baserunning is not as helpful as 70 speed with 70 baserunning.

They are too interdependent to give a straightforward answer to the question.

This might be the most helpful thing so far.  Thank you much.  For me, my issue is I have no context.  I was pretty good back in the day in HD, but in D2.  That is as far as my understanding goes of WIS.
7/22/2015 8:13 PM
Also, is there anything beneficial to say, trying to overpay good development coaches in a particular minor league level, and then cram all your prospects, regardless of age onto that team?

For example, does it behoove you to put all your key development prospects in AA after their rookie campaign, and try to jam overqualified coaches into AA for development purposes, or is that too hard to do given coaches' professional and salary demands?

7/22/2015 8:23 PM
I'm surprised slashtc hasn't chimed in. He just loves to make comments about beginners.
7/22/2015 8:46 PM
If he wants to, feel free.  I am all for being trolled if it helps me figure it out.
7/22/2015 8:51 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/22/2015 7:17:00 PM (view original):

That was more about "Put you real prospects on the 40 immediately" or, as you called it 6).

That's retarded.    Don't do that.    See, if you hadn't quoted me, I wouldn't have had to call you a 'tard.

That's on you.  Not me.

You already called me out on 6) and corrected it. You were correct and I left it well enough alone.

But the only point I said 'always' for was offering a mutual option on which you said 'when someone says "always" it's usually suspect.

That's what I was quoting you on.
7/22/2015 8:52 PM
OK, fair enough.   I thought your bad advice was restricted to one number.    My bad.

Nonetheless, #8 stands.    When anyone gives a definitive answer, question it.    There are many ways to skin a cat.   Or win at HBD.
7/22/2015 9:01 PM
Posted by ahausla on 7/22/2015 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Also, is there anything beneficial to say, trying to overpay good development coaches in a particular minor league level, and then cram all your prospects, regardless of age onto that team?

For example, does it behoove you to put all your key development prospects in AA after their rookie campaign, and try to jam overqualified coaches into AA for development purposes, or is that too hard to do given coaches' professional and salary demands?

Two schools of thought on MiL development. 1-Start prospects (meaning good prospects) in Low-A and move them up every season or partial season. 2-Put them where you have the best Hitting or Pitching coaches. I follow the latter, but plenty of smart(er) owners do the former. So I try to have a top Hitting and Pitching coach in two out of AAA, AA (or HiA) and put players I have expectations for in one of those levels. Sometimes I'll keep them at the same level for 3 seasons. But it's difficult to impossible to get overqualified coaches into the minors. In most worlds top MiL coaches get plucked for higher levels than they're seeking, which thins out the pool of availables. What you have for good coaches who want to return drives the rest of the process. If you have an above-average AA HC who wants to stay, you now you can put 8 hitters there. The main thing is avoiding having real prospects play for HC/PC who are bad. You can look at the availables at each level/role to get an idea what is average in your world. Keep in mind that Bench coaches supposedly play a role in the MiL development, so if you have a BC with a high Hitting or Pitching ranking, that's a bonus.
7/22/2015 9:29 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Newbie Thread - Game Info Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.