Round 1 Themes, 2022 Topic

Posted by cubbies84 on 3/28/2022 7:35:00 PM (view original):
$110 mil question, do we have to submit our two teams like last year?

$120 mil question, is $15 million the total we can spend on pitching or the highest we can spend on one pitcher?
no, one team submission is fine

$15 million total
3/28/2022 8:15 PM
Posted by trd3 on 3/28/2022 7:47:00 PM (view original):
$110 mil question - do the players need to be the same on both rosters or can they contain any players as long as there are 50 different player seasons?
no, players can be completely different
3/28/2022 8:15 PM
I feel like there’s a lot more limiting of owner choices this year. Very targeted/specific rules
3/29/2022 1:23 AM
Obviously just one person's opinion, but I like it. In general, the fewer sentences that are needed to explain a theme, the more I like it. A couple of years ago (2019?) I actually opted out of round 2 despite a top 10 finish in round 1, because I found several of the round 2 themes to be way too complex and time-consuming. I'm also very glad to see no variable-cap rules like the ones that ozo had become so fond of. No offense to Mike, who is brilliant and did an amazing job running this tournament for several years, but those themes to me are pure drudgery, and encourage the worst sort of SLB-gaming.
3/29/2022 8:07 AM
Yeah I am excited to build teams, I just worry the specific rule sets will prevent individuality but maybe it’ll encourage it instead!
3/29/2022 9:17 AM
My two cents on themes.

I understand the need for simplicity when verifying rosters which is probably driving the selection. And I also agree on some of the comments regarding ozo's themes. When I ran this, I always tried to have a balance of "easy-to-build-and-easy-to-validate-rosters" themes with "research-oriented-but-harder-to-validate-rosters" themes (for example, building a roster using two real-life teams). It was these types of themes, in my opinion, that made this tournament fun for the more experienced players... (i.e., trying to find that perfect combination of two teams to build a roster from).. I feel that the current themes will lead to lots of the commonly selected cookies.

Then again, maybe the simplicity of the themes will entice more of your average sim players to sign up.
3/29/2022 9:46 AM

To prevent deadball pitcher stacking, there is a $15 million maximum for pitchers from 1885-1919.

This is really the part i dislike the most of all themes. There are so many unique players and creative ways to build teams from that era that’s unique to all others, but this stipulation removes that and, imo, will force owners into a bucket
3/29/2022 9:48 AM
Posted by chargingryno on 3/29/2022 9:48:00 AM (view original):

To prevent deadball pitcher stacking, there is a $15 million maximum for pitchers from 1885-1919.

This is really the part i dislike the most of all themes. There are so many unique players and creative ways to build teams from that era that’s unique to all others, but this stipulation removes that and, imo, will force owners into a bucket
But for this particular theme, you'd likely see everyone pick a homer team with a deadball staff and stick them in Yankee III without that stipulation. So I think in this case, that stipulation actually raises the strategy level.
3/29/2022 10:39 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/29/2022 10:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chargingryno on 3/29/2022 9:48:00 AM (view original):

But for this particular theme, you'd likely see everyone pick a homer team with a deadball staff and stick them in Yankee III without that stipulation. So I think in this case, that stipulation actually raises the strategy level.
I would've gone deadball hitters in yankee with modern pitchers... and really not worried about HRs at all one way or the other...

I'm fine with it either way, but this takes the strategy that beats deadball pitchers and then limits the strategy that beats that...

We're all in the same boat, so it's whatever, but feel it goes away from different strategies to win under rules and becomes best combo of players within a single strategy.

I'm already working on my teams and love the overall simplicity across the board.
3/29/2022 11:43 AM (edited)
capping deadball pitchers was more about forcing people to use pitchers across different eras than anything else. since deadball guys pitched so many innings you could field basically an entire staff with five guys. you can't do that with the popular stud pitchers with little to no dynamic pricing increase from the mid 2010s on since you can only get to about 700 innings max.

3/29/2022 12:06 PM
Since modern pitchers don’t have dynamic pricing, I’d almost prefer to limit their use over the use of those who’ve been impacted by it:

but like it’s been said - we’re all in the same boat so it’ll be what it is.
3/29/2022 2:06 PM
their use is limited. you can draft a maximum of three of them.
3/29/2022 2:22 PM
I'm not sure I am going to sign up - but just figuring out what a team in the 70mil cap looks like is just gross. I honestly do't know what to do with that. The player pool is small because of the short timeframe, but the low cap makes it even smaller.
3/29/2022 3:21 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 3/29/2022 2:22:00 PM (view original):
their use is limited. you can draft a maximum of three of them.
True - I think I just don’t love the singling out of one era. A $1m minimum and $20m Max for any decade would’ve been fun as it wouldn’t just negatively hurt one era. Just my thoughts-
3/29/2022 3:36 PM
Posted by Area51man on 3/29/2022 3:21:00 PM (view original):
I'm not sure I am going to sign up - but just figuring out what a team in the 70mil cap looks like is just gross. I honestly do't know what to do with that. The player pool is small because of the short timeframe, but the low cap makes it even smaller.
the lower cap dramatically increases the number of usable players.

take shortstop. if the cap were $100M or more there would be a lot of overlap between rosters since there aren't many great shortstops over a five year period, but at $70M the starting shortstop for most teams becomes a viable option. there are 42 players with salary >$5M who played 10 games at shortstop in the five year period. between $3M and $5M there are 120.
3/29/2022 4:40 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
Round 1 Themes, 2022 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.