Round 1 Themes, 2022 Topic

Is May 2nd still the start date?
4/12/2022 4:23 PM
thats the deadline for having two teams in
4/12/2022 5:01 PM
Just to clarify in the $140M league, pitchers 1900 or later are OK (20th century) but pitchers prior to 1900 are not permitted as the $20M player.

[Edit] And as for the joker being allowed to be one of your cloned players, the description reads "exactly 3 times" which bars the possibility of your joker being one of your cloned players (meaning you've cloned 1 player x four times).

If you do want to allow this, you should reword your description with replacing the word "exactly" with "at least" thus allowing it.
4/12/2022 6:47 PM (edited)
Are you seriously asking me for a definition of the 19th century?
4/12/2022 7:11 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 4/12/2022 7:11:00 PM (view original):
Are you seriously asking me for a definition of the 19th century?
It might be necessary, honestly. Wikipedia disagrees about 1900, so it's not universally established.

"The 20th century began on January 1, 1901, and ended on December 31, 2000."
4/12/2022 7:26 PM
Here's a delightfully dismissive introductory essay I found via the Library of Congress (https://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/battle.html). I bolded some of my favorite bits:

When the encyclopedia of human folly comes to be written, a page must be reserved for the minor imbecility of the battle of the centuries--the clamorous dispute as to when a century ends. The present bibliography documents the controversy as it has arisen at the end of the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries, as well as a few skirmishes in the quarrel that has begun to develop with the approach of the third millennium.

The source of the confusion is easy to discern; ever since learning how to write, we have dated our documents with year designations beginning with the digits 19. Obviously, when we must begin to date them starting with 20, we have embarked on a new century! Haven't we? The answer is no, we have not; we have merely arrived at the last year of the 20th century. As historians and others involved in measuring time continue to remind us, there was no year 0. In fact, there has never been a system of recording reigns, dynasties, or eras that did not designate its first year as the year 1. To complete a century, one must complete 100 years; the first century of our era ran from the beginning of A.D. 1 to the end of A.D. 100; the second century began with the year A.D. 101.

While the period 1900-1999 is of course a century, as is any period of 100 years, it is incorrect to label it the 20th century, which began January 1, 1901, and will end on December 31, 2000. Only then will the third millennium of our era begin.

Those who are unwilling to accept the clarity of simple arithmetic in this matter and who feel strongly that there is something amiss with the result have developed some impressively convoluted arguments to promote their point of view. Baron Hobhouse, studying some of these arguments as set forth in letters published in the Times of London during the first few days of January 1900, found "that many of the reasons assigned are irrelevant, many are destructive of the conclusion in support of which they are advanced, and that such as would be relevant and logical have no basis whatever to maintain them in point of fact." He was one of several observers of the fray at the end of the 19th century who predicted that the foolishness would recur with the advent of the year 2000, as people began to look for ways of demonstrating "that 1999 years make up 20 centuries."

As a writer stated in the January 13, 1900, Scientific American, "It is a venerable error, long-lived and perhaps immortal." The shortness of human life is also a factor; as a century approaches its end, hardly anyone who experienced the previous conflict is still living, so we are doomed to undergo another round.

Astronomers have been blamed for some of the confusion by their adoption of a chronology that designates the year 1 B.C. as 0 and gives the preceding years negative numbers, e.g., 2 B.C. becomes -1, 3 B.C. becomes -2, etc. This system permits them to simplify calculations of recurring astronomical events that cross the starting point of our era, such as series of solar eclipses and the apparitions of periodic comets. However, this scheme affects only the years preceding A.D. 1 and cannot be used as a justification for ending subsequent centuries with the 99th year.

Some argue that Dionysius Exiguus made a mistake in his determination of the year of Christ's birth when he devised our present chronology in the sixth century, and that the discrepancy allows us to celebrate the end of a century a year early. However, even though the starting point of our era may not correspond to the chronologist's intention, it is still the point from which we count our centuries--each of which still requires 100 years for completion.

Nevertheless, as many of the entries in this list (from p. 45 on) will indicate, plans to celebrate the opening of the 21st century and the third millennium at midnight on December 31, 1999, have become so widespread that anyone who tries to call attention to the error is disparaged as a pedant and ignored. Perhaps the only consolation for those intending to observe the correct date is that hotels, cruise ships, supersonic aircraft, and other facilities may be less crowded at the end of the year 2000.

4/12/2022 7:35 PM (edited)
there are no pitchers from 1900 over $20 million anyway

can we please save the questions for things people are actually confused about?
4/12/2022 7:34 PM (edited)
There are no 20m+ players from 1900 so it doesn’t really matter if it’s considered part of the 19th or 20th century.

There are 8 players that have to be cloned exactly three times each. They then have absolutely nothing to do with your 25th player who will be one of:
1910 Ed Walsh
1908 Addie Joss
1915 Pete Alexander
1913 Walter Johnson
1927 Lou Gehrig
1911 Ty Cobb
1901 Nap Lajoie
2004 Barry Bonds
1921 Babe Ruth
1923 Babe Ruth
4/12/2022 7:38 PM
So the real question is if I use 1921 Babe Ruth as my joker, can I roster 3 other Babe Ruths on my roster (giving me four Ruths, not 3), which according to the Q&A answer I saw under the theme the answer was yes (which is contrary to the statement of exactly three times). Unless I'm reading/comprehending that Q&A question incorrectly.

I'm reading it as it *is allowed* and will proceed under that assumption (not saying I'm going to do it, but just wanted clarification).
4/12/2022 7:46 PM (edited)
Posted by buddhagamer on 4/12/2022 7:46:00 PM (view original):
So the real question is if I use 1921 Babe Ruth as my joker, can I roster 3 other Babe Ruths on my roster (giving me four Ruths, not 3), which according to the Q&A answer I saw under the theme the answer was yes (which is contrary to the statement of exactly three times). Unless I'm reading/comprehending that Q&A question incorrectly.

I'm reading it as it *is allowed* and will proceed under that assumption (not saying I'm going to do it, but just wanted clarification).
Yes, you can do this
4/12/2022 7:55 PM
Posted by 06gsp on 3/28/2022 4:27:00 PM (view original):
$100M: Polarization

You must either spend >$60 million on hitting or spend >$60 million on pitching

Seasons: All
DH: No
Clones: No
Ballpark: Any
Am I correct to assume this also equates to spend 60 mil or more on hitting or 60 mil or more on pitching?
4/13/2022 3:14 PM (edited)
Yes
4/12/2022 9:15 PM
How do I join the leagues if I have the league IDs after the recent draw? Does this mean I need to also purchase a 6 pack of teams for round 1? And potentially a 6 pack for each round we make it to? Thank you
4/14/2022 12:48 AM
yes you need a six pack of teams. the entry fee is so there is prize money to distribute (plus the $300 admin adds to the pot)
4/14/2022 8:28 AM
Posted by 06gsp on 3/28/2022 4:25:00 PM (view original):
$80M: Spreading the Wealth

The revenue sharing in modern MLB allows cheap and incompetent teams to stay afloat. In that spirit, for this theme we will spread the money around. Each player must have a minimum salary of $1 million, and every player must be from a different franchise.

Seasons: 1920-2021
DH: No
Clones: No
Ballpark: Choose a stadium one of your players played in during the season of his you use.

Use this post if you are not sure about which franchise is which.

For those who are in the 80M league I am commissioning, there is a glitch in how I set up the theme rules such that you will see "6 players do not have to meet the criteria." Again, this is a GLITCH. All 25 players must have salary of $1M+
4/15/2022 10:03 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Round 1 Themes, 2022 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.